New Metro Atlanta Owner

RedLdr1

Since I already started posting in other sub forums I suppose I should do an intro post... :)

Last Saturday, November 10th, we purchased a C-Max SEL, with the 303A Equipment Group and Panoramic Sun Roof, in Ruby Red with the Light Stone leather interior. The C-Max replaced a 2012 Sonata hybrid sedan, with the "Ultimate Package" that while a very nice car just wasn't "right" for us. The C-Max is our third hybrid as we have also owned a Camry hybrid. The C-Max is with out any doubt the nicest of the three hybrids we have owned and is the most "fun" to drive. The Sonata we traded felt faster, looked great, but it handled poorly and the Electric Power Steering (EPS) just never felt "right" to me even after having the dealer change the response modes. Plus the seats in the Sonata and I just didn't get along and it was killing my back. Add in that we have three rescue dogs to haul around and a "mini-wagon" just makes a lot more sense, I know our 75 pound Bearded Collie appreciates "his" new room in the back. :dogwalk:

I plan on doing a few upgrades to the C-Max, body side moldings, window tint, lighting, and some other protection and will post information on those "mods" as they are added.

Regards,

Since I already started posting in other sub forums I suppose I should do an intro post... :)

Last Saturday, November 10th, we purchased a C-Max SEL, with the 303A Equipment Group and Panoramic Sun Roof, in Ruby Red with the Light Stone leather interior. The C-Max replaced a 2012 Sonata hybrid sedan, with the "Ultimate Package" that while a very nice car just wasn't "right" for us. The C-Max is our third hybrid as we have also owned a Camry hybrid. The C-Max is with out any doubt the nicest of the three hybrids we have owned and is the most "fun" to drive. The Sonata we traded felt faster, looked great, but it handled poorly and the Electric Power Steering (EPS) just never felt "right" to me even after having the dealer change the response modes. Plus the seats in the Sonata and I just didn't get along and it was killing my back. Add in that we have three rescue dogs to haul around and a "mini-wagon" just makes a lot more sense, I know our 75 pound Bearded Collie appreciates "his" new room in the back. :dogwalk:

I plan on doing a few upgrades to the C-Max, body side moldings, window tint, lighting, and some other protection and will post information on those "mods" as they are added.

Regards,

Wow, you must have taken a big hit on a different brand '12 trade-in!! Besides deciding on our next car (we're downsizing from an '09 VW Routan --- Chrysler/Dodge minivan clone) my concern is the resale/trade for this VW against a Ford (you won't find many VW/Ford dealers out there so I'm sure they'll probably just send it to an auction) -- my folks own a '11 Sonata that I just drove again last weekend (its the redesigned model similar to yours), back support was OK but I found the driver's seat a little lacking on thigh support (drove it for a little over an hour). The passenger front seat is quite low as well but otherwise it was a decent ride with a huge trunk and smooth ride but no C-Max.

Welcome to the forum --

Regards,

Congrats on your new C-Max. I know what you mean about the Sonata Hybrid handling. On my numerous Sonata Hybrid test drives I noticed the chassis became unsettled on any type of uneven surface and bumps in the road would reverberate throughout.

The 2011 Sonata Hybrid ranked #7 in MotorTrends worst handling car list.

http://wot.motortren...2010-20318.html

Edited by darrelld

• 2 weeks later...

I see one in the wild every day, at the front of my office parking deck. A co-worker and I have been talking about the C-Max for months, and he picked up a Hybrid as soon as they became available. I've ordered an Energi, so I'm still waiting.

But I'll probably be interested in a meetup of some sort, once mine is in.

RedlLdr1 what MPG are you getting? You on Fuelly?  I just fueled up with new record 608.6mi on 12.8 gal., 47.3mpg. I used Premium and my center grill cover. I.m looking for someone that drives 70+mph to see if it improves MPG. I show 4-5mpg increase with the cover.

MikeB it will be nice to see your Energi when it comes in and see what kind of MPG you get. There is someone on Fuelly with an Energi thats getting 21.7mpg hurting the overall average for CMAX's. There is another one getting 38.1mpg.

Let me know when we can get together. paul@star-instruments.com is my email

Paul, I've got a regular drive down I-20 for about 100 miles, and I typically drive right at 70mph. My VW Jetta TDI generally gets ~42mpg on that trip. I'll be watching closely to see how the Energi handles the same trip, and I'd be happy to give your cover a try.  I'm currently expecting my Energi to arrive just before xmas, so we might try for something mid Jan. Long term, I'm expecting my Energi to average 50-60mpg, but that'll depend heavily on my mix of local driving vs weekend trips.

RedlLdr1 what MPG are you getting? You on Fuelly?

I am averaging a little over 44MPG in mixed Woodstock / Marietta / North Fulton traffic with occasional forays down I-575 / I-75 in to Atlanta.  I'm not on Fuelly, I have an Excel spreadsheet I keep all the cars and motorcycles gas and maintenance information in....

I am averaging a little over 44MPG in mixed Woodstock / Marietta / North Fulton traffic with occasional forays down I-575 / I-75 in to Atlanta.  I'm not on Fuelly, I have an Excel spreadsheet I keep all the cars and motorcycles gas and maintenance information in....

You really should track your results on Fuelly, helpful to everyone.

You really should track your results on Fuelly, helpful to everyone.

What I use is the sms feature of fuelly.

You send a text message to their number, in the format of mpg or miles driven, price of gas when bought, and gallons put in the car.  Fuelly does the rest. You don't have to write it down and remember to enter later on the computer through a web browser.  Using the tasker program on android, I even have it set up to launch an application that prompts me for those three items and sends it to fuelly.

You should keep you're numbers on fuelly.com so you can help raise our average up from 38.7. There is an ENERGI that's getting 21.7 mpg, I don't see how that is possable,but he is single handily dropping our average by 1mpg. I'm going to be  Acworth tonight or tomorrow if you would like to get together and see CMAX grill cover.

Edited by ptjones

• 5 weeks later...
Paul, I've got a regular drive down I-20 for about 100 miles, and I typically drive right at 70mph. My VW Jetta TDI generally gets ~42mpg on that trip. I'll be watching closely to see how the Energi handles the same trip, and I'd be happy to give your cover a try.  I'm currently expecting my Energi to arrive just before xmas, so we might try for something mid Jan. Long term, I'm expecting my Energi to average 50-60mpg, but that'll depend heavily on my mix of local driving vs weekend trips.

MikeB I'm assuming that you got your Energi if you had I would like to see it.

Paul

• 2 years later...

I'm back...  After a couple of years without a C-Max I returned to the fold last week.  My previous C-Max never really recovered from it's electrical glitches, see my early posts, so I finally traded it in.  Now I have a 2015 that looks about the same except it is a 302A Package and doesn't have the glass roof.  The good news is this one hasn't any issues and I've already racked up almost 2,000 miles in seven days... :)

I've started doing my "standard mods" and had the tinting done and ordered color matched Body Side Molding from SportWing.  They should be in next week.  I need to see if any of my previous C-Max "stuff" is buried in my garage.... :)  

I'm retired now and this C-Max will also be used as a "Toad" behind the motor home we have on order.  I think the C-Max will be ideal for that purpose.