Considering buying C-Max in Texas

raadsel

I'm pretty torn on this. One thing that surprised me about the Fusion is how much less sporty it seems than the C-Max, considering they have the same powertrain and similar weight. Ford seems to have really "muted" the response of the accelerator pedal; while the power appears to be there if you push hard enough, it really seems like it is tuned for fuel economy. The ride may also be a bit better and quieter than the C-Max. One other thing, much more space in the engine compartment on the Fusion.

The options in the Fusion I drove, that aren't in the C-Max, include the memory seats/mirror, 4-way power passenger seat, BLIS, Lane keep assist, push button electronic emergency brake, keyless entry keypad, easy entry (automatically moves drivers seat back when car is turned off), and auto high beams. You also have the space in the trunk for the spare tire, though you would have to buy it separately.

The only things I can think of that are missing on this Fusion, that are on the C-Max SEL I last looked at, beyond the tall cargo area, are the motorized lift-gate, Navigation, and Sony Sound system.

There are things I prefer in both vehicles -- for example, I like the MFT set up better in the Fusion but prefer the climate controls in the C-Max. So, I'm trying to figure exactly what I want to do. Also, the price I have on the vehicle is firm, including all dealer fees.

One last thing that is bothering me, largely because I can't figure out if it is really a problem or not (and it does feel like nitpicking) -- this car does not show the little arrow (caret) above or below the battery icon on the dash display, that shows if the battery is charging or discharging. The normal display on the Fusion Hybrid appears to be the same as the C-Max, and that little arrow does show up on other Fusion Hybrids I've seen. Anyone have an idea why the arrow doesn't show up and if it somehow could mean there is a problem somewhere? It does not appear to effect the way the car drives -- did roughly a 10 mile test drive and got 42 mpg for the drive, including idling for a couple of minutes setting things up.

Edited by raadsel

I would never consider buying a fusion, a four door sedan is worthless to me. We were going to buy a mazda5 grand touring and fell in to the C-max. Although the C-max is nice for the long haul I think the Mazda would have been a wiser choice.

Yeah, I think it's apples/oranges.

Unless you are just looking at something to take your body from one place to another, you really can't compare the two vehicles.  Once we drove the C-Max the Fusion just seemed like... a car.  Wasn't even a consideration.

But if you drove both and really can't tell the difference then just shop by price/feature and don't worry about it.  Nothing anyone says here really is all that important (because we all have different things we value in very different ways).

Yeah, I think it's apples/oranges.

Unless you are just looking at something to take your body from one place to another, you really can't compare the two vehicles.  Once we drove the C-Max the Fusion just seemed like... a car.  Wasn't even a consideration.

But if you drove both and really can't tell the difference then just shop by price/feature and don't worry about it.  Nothing anyone says here really is all that important (because we all have different things we value in very different ways).

I think the comparison may be more the difference between an orange and a grapefruit. Both are citrus fruits that have lots of Vitamin C (or, for our purposes, made by Ford with the same powertrain) but are quite different. And, in my case, I like both but for different reasons.

And that is more or less what I'm looking for here, just wondering why people prefer the C-Max over the Fusion; just looking for things I may not have considered that might help me decide which I'd be happier with long term.

One thing I don't like about the Fusion is the heated seat controls - they are in the MFT on the Fusion, instead of a mechanical control on the console in the C-Max. I can't understand why Ford would do that.

Of course, if you don't use the heated seats it won't matter...

I'm not sure if people missed the question of just don't know, but the car I drove was missing the little arrows above and below the battery that tell you if the battery is charging or discharging. Is there some way that can be turned off in the settings, or does this appear to be some type of malfunction? Would it effect your decision on buying that particular car?

If you wanted a quick response about the Fusion, maybe you should've asked the question in the Fusion forum???

It's called Charge Assist indicator. The feature is described on pages 79-81 in the 2014 Fusion Hybrid owners manual, as well as a description of where within the options screen those things may be switched on and off.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/14fhyom1e.pdf

If you wanted a quick response about the Fusion, maybe you should've asked the question in the Fusion forum???

It's called Charge Assist indicator. The feature is described on pages 79-81 in the 2014 Fusion Hybrid owners manual, as well as a description of where within the options screen those things may be switched on and off.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/14fhyom1e.pdf

Forgive me if I'm wrong; but the displays seem to be the same, other than the differing options between to the two cars. On top of that, I'm already on this forum. Thank you for providing an answer.

I'm not sure if people missed the question of just don't know, but the car I drove was missing the little arrows above and below the battery that tell you if the battery is charging or discharging. Is there some way that can be turned off in the settings, or does this appear to be some type of malfunction? Would it effect your decision on buying that particular car?

The settings have been turned off. It is on page 84 of the owner manual that was just posted. Use the right arrow to get to the settings for the "Charge Assist" arrows, then select the center button to enable them.

Interesting, the menus are in the C-Max as well, but those arrows are normally enabled by default, and I've never looked at those screens.

The settings have been turned off. It is on page 84 of the owner manual that was just posted. Use the right arrow to get to the settings for the "Charge Assist" arrows, then select the center button to enable them.

Interesting, the menus are in the C-Max as well, but those arrows are normally enabled by default, and I've never looked at those screens.

They seem to be on, by default, in the Fusion, as well, which was why I asked. I've driven a few C-Max and Fusions (maybe three each) and that is the only one where those arrows have been off. And, naturally, the salesman was clueless. ;)

Edited by raadsel

They seem to be on, by default, in the Fusion, as well, which was why I asked. I've driven a few C-Max and Fusions (maybe three each) and that is the only one where those arrows have been off. And, naturally, the salesman was clueless. ;)

Were you able to turn it back on?

Were you able to turn it back on?

Since I was just test driving it, I haven't tried. I'm fairly split on what I want to do; though my guess is that I will wait. All things being equal, it seems I would prefer a C-Max (part of why I am on this forum rather than the Fusion Hybrid forum). I would really like the storage space that the C-Max has. I like the Fusion, though, particularly things like the seat memory and BLIS w/ cross traffic alert.

I suspect I would be happy with either. I'd miss the storage space but don't have to have it. So, it is a matter of finding the right car for the right deal; and, at least to this point, I've not found it. The C-Max does seem to have better deals at the moment so it likely has the advantage; though it may depend on how desperate the dealer with the Fusion gets. 

Edited by raadsel

Years ago I bought my first small SUV.  And one of the happy surprises was how much easier entry and exit were in a car that sits higher than a sedan.  The next surprise was how much more of the road I could see.  I swore I would never buy another non-SUV.  The C-Max changed my mind because it also has a high seat and easy exit and entrance.  And it is fun to drive!

Years ago I bought my first small SUV.  And one of the happy surprises was how much easier entry and exit were in a car that sits higher than a sedan.  The next surprise was how much more of the road I could see.  I swore I would never buy another non-SUV.  The C-Max changed my mind because it also has a high seat and easy exit and entrance.  And it is fun to drive!

Exactly my feelings as well -- we test drove small SUVs and C-Max was more an afterthought than on our primary list.  After the drive I was convinced.

I HATE sitting low on the ground.

I'll admit the height ease of entry/exit of the C-Max is an attraction, as well. I don't think I'm quite as old as Kelleytoons but I am old enough that easy entry and exit are a clear consideration. The C-Max is nice because, while you have some height, unlike most SUVs or trucks, the seat is still a normal height.

Well, after 2 1/2 hours of tennis in the hot sun (and then doing the grocery shopping) I sure FELT like I was 110.

Feeling better after my nap (and now I'm going to bed -- hmmm, perhaps I'm not 110, but I sure ACT like it :>).  I did win three out of four sets, though (the first and third at love, at that, and really *should* have worn the second set).

Edited by Kelleytoons

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update, I finally purchased a C-Max. I ended up with a 2013 SEL and, for the short time I've owned it, am very happy with it. It seems to be in good condition, it drives well, and I was able to get a deal I was happy with. I actually found an incredible deal on a Fusion (actually a mistake in pricing, that they have now corrected) but ultimately decided I wanted the C-Max.

Thank you all for your help.