To buy CPO or not

drichmn

I'm looking at 2 different 2013 SEL models.  Build date of one is 11/2012, has 26.000 miles, 303a package with pano roof, blue candy with med stone interior, asking $19,250.  The other is build date 4/2013, has 43,000 miles, also 303a package with pano, but is CPO, silver with med stone interior, asking $20,900.

Since the cars are basically identical I'm wondering if it's better to buy CPO even though mileage is higher?  Does the build date of 2012 vs 2013 make any difference?

Thanks for the input.

I had to look this one up.  CPO (Certified Pre-Owned)

I would only think this route is better if they extend the warranty.  If not I think it is more just something to sell cars

Ford's Certified Pre-Owned cars have a few benefits. First, though I'm not sure how useful it is, the car must pass a 172-point inspection, which is to ensure the car meets Ford's standards. It provides 12 months/12,000 miles of comprehensive warranty, and then 7 year/100,000 miles of powertrain warranty (from when the car was sold as new). It provides roadside assistance for the length of the warranty, along with 5 days of rental car reimbursement. And it provides a three month trial of XM radio (for cars equipped with XM). Last, the CPO warranty is transferable to subsequent owners.

The good about the warranty is that it is added on top of the original warranty, so the 12 months/12,000 mile comprehensive warranty only starts after the original 36 month/36,000 mile warranty expires. The negative to the warranty is a $100 deductible for warranty service done under the CPO warranty (my understanding is that it is not charged if the car is still covered by the original warranty). 

You can find information on Ford's CPO program here, though unfortunately it doesn't provide most of the details.

Edited by raadsel

I had to look this one up.  CPO (Certified Pre-Owned)

I would only think this route is better if they extend the warranty.  If not I think it is more just something to sell cars

The warranty is extended as described by raadsel.  I was looking for a low mileage 2013 but with the extended warranty on the CPO car maybe it wouldn't make that much difference than getting a low mileage that isn't CPO.  I also thought about buying an extended warranty for the lower mileage non CPO car.  I'm just not sure which way to go.

I went with the lower mileage, non-CPO.  It has another year/ 10K of original warranty. Got another $300 off the price and $10K in trade for my 08 camry hybrid with low mileage.  Dealer includes 3 years of free oil changes and free car washes for life.  Has 6 months if anything at all goes wrong they replace, including tires.  With all the gadgets in this car I think I will get an extended warranty. 

I went with the lower mileage, non-CPO.  It has another year/ 10K of original warranty. Got another $300 off the price and $10K in trade for my 08 camry hybrid with low mileage.  Dealer includes 3 years of free oil changes and free car washes for life.  Has 6 months if anything at all goes wrong they replace, including tires.  With all the gadgets in this car I think I will get an extended warranty. 

You should be able to get Ford's ESP extended warranty. You can check online for pricing, it seems most on these forums recommend Flood Ford.

I would buy the 2013 with much lower mileage, use a portion of the $ difference and purchase a Ford extended warranty to 100,000.  That will give you worry free driving for years.  You can find on-line Ford factory extended warranties for much less that at your local Ford dealer.

I would buy the 2013 with much lower mileage, use a portion of the $ difference and purchase a Ford extended warranty to 100,000.  That will give you worry free driving for years.  You can find on-line Ford factory extended warranties for much less that at your local Ford dealer.

well, the deal on the 2013 fell through so I'm back to searching.  I'm going to go in to a dealer tomorrow about a new 2014 instead.

We thought about doing the same thing but I didn't see any advantage in it. We pay extra every month. Have you looked for any new 2013s? I wonder if there are any left.

There are a couple of 2013's left but I decided against getting one that has been sitting at the dealer that long.