Window stickers on Canadian C-Max's re: mileage

Laurel

This is weird and concerning. I looked at Craigslist this morning and a dealer is selling a SEL and is posting 70 mpg with pictures of the window sticker http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/3343786067.html So I looked up my window sticker and it is the same i.e. 4.0 L in the city and 4.1 L per 100 kilometers highway. I know we have imperial gallons which are larger, but there is no way this posted mileage can be accurate! I wonder what the heck this is all about? There are going to be some unhappy Canadian buyers if they believe those window stickers.

Clearly you need the EPA. They are always right - even when they are wrong. :drool:

Many years ago I bought a Dodge Caravan and for the first few months I was getting great gas mileage. Way more than the window rating. Somewhere along the line I had it in for service and was discovered that the car was set up for metric use. The car was built in Canada and must have escaped to the states where I bought it. Anyway, dealer did something to reset the calibration and all of sudden I went back to gallons and miles instead of liters and kilometers. I felt happier when I saw the high number reading, :cry: Lesson learned - never mix the two systems. :shift:

My husband says I am all wet with my calculations. He agreed with me initially and then he did the conversion via google. Here is the calculation: 4.0 L per 100 kilometers is the same as 113 kilometers per Imperial gallon. 113 kilometers per Imperial gallon is the same as 70 miles per Imperial gallon. So the sticker is correct. So when all of you are reporting in with 40 mgp to 47 mgp, I will be reporting in 69 and 70 per Imperial gallon which as Chinto says will make me happy. LOL. This metric system gets the best of me still and we converted multi years ago.

Mixing systems will give you a headache. Your imperial gallon is not the same amount as a US gallon of gas. See below for the amount difference.

One imperial gallon is approximately equal to 1.201 U.S. gallons.

One imperial gallon is exactly 4.54609 litres, whereas one U.S. gallon is exactly 3.7854118 liters.

Read more: http://wiki.answers....n#ixzz2Ci5fxzIw

Edited by Chinto

• 4 weeks later...

I am still fixated over the Canadian window sticker, and still think it is wrong.  It says 4.0 L per 100 kilometers.  If I convert that to US gallons that comes up to 58 MPG. And converted to Imperial gallons that is 70 MPG.  I wrote to Ford Canada to ask about this today.

Hi Laurel (neighbour!)

Up here in canada, our EPA tests are much much less realistic than the USA EPA test. Here is the page address that links to the canadian equal of the EPA.

http://oee.rncan.gc.ca/publications/transportation/fuel-guide/2000/aboutratings.cfm?attr=8

Growing up here in Canada, I have always considered our window stickers to be used strictly for comparison purposes, and I think most Canadians think that way. I am following this issue with our southern friends with interest, as they seem quite serious about always being able to meet or beat the posted window number.

I have never achieved the window number on any of my cars, and I'm a pretty calm driver.

Edit* our freeway speeds were generally lower than the US as well, and I'm not sure if that enters into the testing at all. I think the US added a portion to their test to make it more realistic, and maybe we did not.

Edited by Ryan McEachern

Hi Ryan.  It's nice to finally see another Canadian here!  I see that you are waiting for an Energi--that will be exciting.  I had fun tracking mine on the train after I got the rail car number.  I was quite surprised how quickly things went in the end i.e. ordered about Oct.5th and had it about 10 days ago. Pretty painless.  I have yet to see any C-Max's around yet --we live in White Rock.  Re: the window stickers--it makes sense that they expect a different EPA mileage, but I have to believe there is a big error at 4.0 L per 100 kilometers/70 mpg imperial.  Just seems off base.  I have not gotten any response yet.  I have visions of a bunch of people running around at Ford Canada saying "Did we put that on the window sticker?  Eek!"