Just bought a 2013 C-Max Hybrid SE

thedman

Hi everyone!

You guys have been helpful in helping me learn a whole lot more about the C-Max. Tonight I found a used 2013 SE 29K miles for $14,990. After test driving 5 C-Max's I knew I loved the car and this one drove better than the rest. Plus it seemed like that was a pretty good price. I get to drive it home tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how I like it once I'm no longer sitting next to a salesman! 

I do have a quick question. For the 2013 SE does anyone know if the right instrument cluster display can show anything besides for the efficiency leaves. I know the SEL shows entertainment and phone and stuff like that but does the SE show any of the same stuff and how do you control it? The manual isn't very good at describing the differences between the SE and the SEL in that regard. 

~thedman

Hi, congrats on your Cmax......the web tutorial videos you can find online for the various features are helpful to learn and easier to understand . Depends what package you have.

The right screen is customizeable, but it just removes the leaves....(personally I like the green leaves growing) but the left readout screen can be customized to show temperature guage!.....Only just found this out after a year lol

...go to My Screen by the  arrows on the left steering wheel buttons/menu , scroll thru to My Screen, then you can customize the left and right portions of the main readout screen....I prefer the left readout to show the the acceleration cut off blue outside bars where it shows when gas engine kicks in/ or reverts to EV mode..... (also acts as a tachometer  2000,4000,6000 rpm engine markers), then on the right screen pick temp guage and you get a more normal readout.  (The instant mpg readout always goes to 60 mpg on EV mode, so it doesn't need to be there once you've driven it for a while)

Also don't forget if you need a little more space in the cupholder area that the center portion simply pulls out to enlarge the storage  for larger smart phones. Also there is a handy little net on the passenger side of the floor console to put letters/mail in on the way to the post office ! And a small pocket on the top side of the passenger seat where I put the garage door opener or phone.

The A/C is amazing on the CMax, just make sure the lap vents under the dash are fully open, to get max benefit.The auto temp works really well and gradually cuts off as you near the temp setting. It's the best A/C  i've had.

The ECO cruise control can be manipulated to get into EV mode faster, by slowly accelerating to cruise speed then setting ECO cruise control, then by clicking it off and on again will trigger EV mode faster.

Have fun with it, it's a well thought out vehicle.  They've had this model in Europe for 10 years or so, so the interior design is well thought out.  My current AVG overall  mpg is 41.7 . Take it easy on the throttle, it has plenty of oomph, but i've found it's not necessary to push hard in a city environment... the racing drivers I always meet at the next traffic light !

One word of caution.......watch the larger turning circle in parking lots, I recently misjudged it and hit an island curb and split the tire wall (40 psi cold pressure)......$238 replacement.

Edited by jcwcmax

Also there is a handy little net on the passenger side of the floor console to put letters/mail in on the way to the post office ! And a small pocket on the top side of the passenger seat where I put the garage door opener or phone.

Actually, the 2013 is missing this nice little additions. 

Thanks for the welcome! I was test 'renting' an ex hertz vehicle yesterday. (Word to the wise Hertz Rent to Buy was kind of a headache and the vehicle wasn't in good shape so I opted for the dealership.) Anyhow I went to gas it up and I've never had a car that had the fuel filler on the passenger side. Trying to navigate it between the pumps was a challenge. Kind of reminds me of my friend's '08 Fusion. If that's the only downside, its turning radius, then I have many more years of driving fun ahead of me.

~thedman

I do have a quick question. For the 2013 SE does anyone know if the right instrument cluster display can show anything besides for the efficiency leaves. I know the SEL shows entertainment and phone and stuff like that but does the SE show any of the same stuff and how do you control it? The manual isn't very good at describing the differences between the SE and the SEL in that regard. 

~thedman

My 2014 does have the phone, entertainment and compass options on the right.  I think that is standard on the SE but not sure.  I have the MFT  (202A) package on my SE.  I know the 2015 SE can have some gauges on the right now.  That would be nice.  The leaves don't do much for me. 

Enjoy it.  It is a fun car. 

Welcome!

On a 2013 SE equipped with the base audio (Not My Ford Touch) right screen displays either Compass, Efficiency Leaves, or Help

Compass is briefly mentioned on Page 437 of the 2013 Owner's Manual.

Download a pdf 2013 copy here:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/13cmhom3e.pdf

It's far easier to search than the paper copy in the glove compartment!

Also apparently some 2013 information was cut and pasted from other Ford vehicle manuals, so the 2014 Manual seems to have the corrected info):

http://media.tkcarsites.com/Local/318/PDF/2014-CMAX-Owner-Manual-version-1_OM_EN_11_2013.pdf

Edited by kostby

Thanks for the welcome! I was test 'renting' an ex hertz vehicle yesterday. (Word to the wise Hertz Rent to Buy was kind of a headache and the vehicle wasn't in good shape so I opted for the dealership.) Anyhow I went to gas it up and I've never had a car that had the fuel filler on the passenger side. Trying to navigate it between the pumps was a challenge. Kind of reminds me of my friend's '08 Fusion. If that's the only downside, its turning radius, then I have many more years of driving fun ahead of me.

~thedman

I typically fill my car at Costco, where traffic to the gas pumps is one way, and so I've enjoyed having the fuel fill up on the passenger side. With fewer cars having the passenger side fill up, it makes it easier to find an open gas pump. :)