new owner in NJ

syncmax

Just acquired 2015 SEL with 301A (Sony sound and Navigation). I was eyeing the Honda HRV when I spotted a C-max on one of the bumper-to-bumper traffic and I was instantly sold. Started my search and all the ford dealers in my area, for some reason, had only several energi models lying around in the lot - I did not want energi as trunk space with fold-out rear seats was important for me and energi sucks in this dept. They were willing to do swap with a distant ford dealer for an SEL model. Only after I started seeing the windows stickers I realized these were often manufactured 6-8 months ago (my specific model was manufactured in February) - I was a little apprehensive about it but the salesman reassured me that it was sitting inside a showroom for three months (I wonder why there is such scarcity in my area for fresh out of the factory models). I did not want to go to several dealers looking for best pricing as I had a minivan that I wanted to trade and was willing to take anything for it. So it is just around 5K off of MSRP ($2600 dealer discount and $2500 ford incentives). I could have probably gotten a few hundred dollars more if I shopped around. I also wanted to find if the 2016 model was out but none could be found anywhere (when are they coming out?). When I picked up my car it seemed new with new car smell and drove fine off the lot. We have only put on 100 so miles in the few days and it seems to be right around 46 mpg or so far in mixed driving. The sync 2 interface is overwhelming for us (coming from no dash board electronics) but we have figured out some basic things. I do have some concerns about long term reliability but we like it so far.

Congrats on the new C-Max, I suspect you'll really enjoy it. As is often suggested here, I'd take your owner's manual and go through it while in the car. In your case, spend time trying out the different features of the MyFord Touch system, using the owner's manual as a guide. It is also worth going through the displays to the left and right of the speedometer -- there are some helpful displays there. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "long term problems", though it seems that most people's experience here has been good -- though all cars, especially the first year model, have some issues. I expect you'll love your C-Max, as most of us do.

Welcome; you've come to the right place!

Yes, there have been two long-term reliability issues with the car (12V battery, transmission bearing), both of which occur in 2013's, not 2015's. I'm pushing 40K with a build date of 19.9.2012 and no issues to date. High voltage battery life projections are excellent, and high mileage members report no noticeable loss in fuel economy.

As to Sync... ignore it if you like. I left a '94 Volvo, so I had the same sense of astonishment at how much is under voice control. But I like touching controls with my hands, so I do. I only use voice commands for phone calls. CALL MARJORIE CELL wasn't hard to learn.

Finally, you have a new car. Temper your mileage expectations. Your mileage will drop in the coming months as the weather gets colder, but at the same time, your mileage will be slowly rising as the car breaks-in. It may be April before you know what you'll really get, and it will be speed-related. The faster you drive, the more fuel you'll use.

Enjoy!

Frank