Ford now #2 in US plug-in EV sales

djc

In the U.S.  Ford is ahead of world-leader EV seller Nissan (which has fallen to #3 in US); but behind Testa, the EV for the top 1%.  Fusion Energi (~6900 units ytd) moderately outsells C-max Energi (5680); Focus electric brings up the rear (just 1267 units).  Tesla has sold about 17000 cars so far this year; while Ford combined plug-in sales are almost 14000.  (Still, these are small spuds in a 13,000,000 unit US vehicle market.)

More at TorqueNews:

http://www.torquenews.com/3618/ford-surprise-number-2-plug-electric-sales-2015

There might be a C-max redesign when production moves to Mexico.  Many makers seem to use a ~5 year cycle.  C-max hybrid had 2012 intro so 2017 seems plausible. ILate 2017 would also give Ford a bit of time to analyze and possibly respond to 2016 Prius.   One change the C-max could use is lower drag to up the highway mpg; at least try to get closer to Prius (which has reduced drag each generation). 

There might be a C-max redesign when production moves to Mexico.  Many makers seem to use a ~5 year cycle.  C-max hybrid had 2012 intro so 2017 seems plausible. ILate 2017 would also give Ford a bit of time to analyze and possibly respond to 2016 Prius.   One change the C-max could use is lower drag to up the highway mpg; at least try to get closer to Prius (which has reduced drag each generation). 

I have not seen that they are moving C-Max production anywhere. The news articles said they are shutting down the Michigan plant (actually, I believe they are converting it to another vehicle), and moving the Focus plant to Mexico. I believe it was Focus, but anyway, they mentioned the other car being built on the Michigan line, but did not mention the C-Max.

I have not seen that they are moving C-Max production anywhere. The news articles said they are shutting down the Michigan plant (actually, I believe they are converting it to another vehicle), and moving the Focus plant to Mexico. I believe it was Focus, but anyway, they mentioned the other car being built on the Michigan line, but did not mention the C-Max.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2015/07/09/ford-focus-uaw-contract-mexico/29918345/

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/ford-moving-focus-c-max-production-from.html

Not sure I saw that exact article. Well, at least the C-Max is mentioned, although not confirmed for any US production. But maybe it will be moved instead of killed.

We will have to wait and see but Ford is working on a new hybrid.   The questions I see is:  Is the new car going to be called the C-Max?   Is it going to be sold along side the C-Max? 

I think it will replace it but that is just a guess.  I hope to don't lower the car to be like a Prius.  I like the height even if I loose some FE.