Ford hybrids fall short of fuel claims-Consumer Reports

R3dRyd3r

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/06/ford-fuel-idUSL1E8N6BP620121206

By Deepa Seetharaman DETROIT, Dec 6 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co's C-Max and Fusion hybrids fell about 20 percent short of its fuel economy claims, Consumer Reports magazine said, after running real-world tests on both models. The influential magazine said the Fusion hybrid delivered a 39 miles per gallon both on the highway and in city driving, while the C-Max hit a combined 37 miles per gallon. Both models were expected to command about 47 miles per gallon, according to estimates from Ford and the Environmental Protection Agency. "These two vehicles have the largest discrepancy between our overall-mpg results and the estimates published by the EPA that we've seen among any current models," Consumer Reports said in a blog post on its web site. Driving aggressively and other factors can undercut the fuel economy estimated by the EPA. In a statement, Ford said C-Max and Fusion hybrid drivers reported a range of fuel economy figures, including some that surpassed 47 miles per gallon. "This reinforces the fact that driving styles, driving conditions, and other factors can cause mileage to vary," Ford spokesman Wes Sherwood said. But Consumer Reports said among current models, more than 80 percent of the vehicles it tested were within two miles per gallon of the estimates. The Fusion hybrid fell short by 8 miles per gallon, while the C-Max was off by 10 miles per gallon. The Fusion hybrid still has the best fuel economy of any family sedan tested by Consumer Reports. The C-Max hybrid is second behind Toyota Motor Corp's Prius V. "Make no mistake; both the Fusion Hybrid and C-Max Hybrid still deliver excellent fuel economy," Consumer Reports said. "But our tests show that buyers shouldn't expect the stellar 47 mpg that Ford is promoting." The review comes a little more than a month after an EPA investigation showed that Hyundai Motor Co and its affiliate Kia Motors Corp had overstated their fuel economy by at least a mile per gallon. Boosting fuel efficiency has been a pillar of Ford's vehicle strategy for the past six years. This year the second-largest U.S. automaker expects to wind up with a record 11 percent of the U.S. market for hybrid, plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles this year. The Fusion, which competes in the bread-and-butter midsize sedan segment of the market, is a particularly important model for Ford. Earlier this year, Ford passed out T-shirtsimprinted with the Fusion hybrid's fuel economy figures at an event in New York with Chief Executive Alan Mulally to promote the Fusion. Last week, the Fusion won the coveted Green Car of the Year award at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

Make & model CR overall mpg EPA combined mpg Difference

Ford C-Max SE 37 47 10

Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 39 47 8

Toyota Prius C Two 43 50 7

Toyota Prius 44 50 6

Honda Civic Hybrid 40 44 4

Infiniti M35h 25 29 4

Lexus ES 300h 36 40 4

Buick LaCrosse (4-cyl., eAssist) 26 29 3

Honda Insight EX 38 41 3

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 33 36 3

Lexus RX 450h 26 29 3

Lexus CT 200h 40 42 2

Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 38 40 2

Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid 19 20 1

Toyota Highlander Hybrid 27 28 1

Toyota Prius V Three 41 42 1

Chevrolet Malibu Eco 29 29 0

Honda CR-Z EX (manual) 35 34 -1

I am suspect of these results given the real world results of the Sonata Hybrid reported by owners and my own tests. CR also reported getting better C-Max FE in highway driving and worse in the city, completely opposite of what everyone on here and Fuelly is reporting??

Stil the first comparative analysis I have seen.

Edited by darrelld

Consumer Reports is still in existence? "Influential magazine"? It's too early for April Fools Day.. Driving the C-Max is a learning process. I've had my C-Max almost 3 months. A month ago I would have said that 47 city was a load of crap, but I've hit 50 several times over last two weeks. I'm learning how to drive the car. I've picked up a lot of good pointers on this forum. I haven't adjusted my interstate driving habits because it is a lot of fun to drive at higher speeds.

Consumer Reports did not mention what the ambient temps were during their testing procedure for the C-Max and the other hybrids. I notice where their test facility is located its been in the 30's. I see about a 10 mpg hit when the temp drops into the low 40's.

I have noticed this also that air temperature seems to affect my mileage more than any other variable for me.   When it was warmer I consistently hit the mid 40's to low 50's all the time.  Now that it has been colder I seem to be high 30's to low 40's.   I attribute this to having a short commute or several short hops where the car cools or never really warms up for very long periods.  The longer the trip then I gain better mileage.   So I guess the old joke about being a warmer weather car applies to this hybrid.   In fairness however, my 2010 hybrid (Mercury Milan) has a similar  mileage drop too.    Having said this, my mpg is still way better than any other non-hybrid car I have ever owned.  The non-hybrid car's mileage would also drop (high teens) in the winter months as well.    So I am still happy with the mpg that I am getting because it is still 100% better than before hybrids.    

I have noticed this also that air temperature seems to affect my mileage more than any other variable for me.   When it was warmer I consistently hit the mid 40's to low 50's all the time.  Now that it has been colder I seem to be high 30's to low 40's.   I attribute this to having a short commute or several short hops where the car cools or never really warms up for very long periods.  The longer the trip then I gain better mileage.   So I guess the old joke about being a warmer weather car applies to this hybrid.   In fairness however, my 2010 hybrid (Mercury Milan) has a similar  mileage drop too.    Having said this, my mpg is still way better than any other non-hybrid car I have ever owned.  The non-hybrid car's mileage would also drop (high teens) in the winter months as well.    So I am still happy with the mpg that I am getting because it is still 100% better than before hybrids.    

I would see the same cool weather mpg drop from the many Lexus Hybrid loaners I drove while my IS was in the shop.

Real world, South Florida, 1700 total miles, 270 trip miles, 47.4 mpg.  Maybe Consumer Reports should get some instruction on how to drive a hybrid before they do their test.  My first couple of fill ups were a little low on the mpg, then I picked up some tips on this forum and others and on many 6 - 10 mile trips I consistently see 50+ mpg.  As long as my wife doesn't  drive it the mileage stays up there.

Real world, South Florida, 1700 total miles, 270 trip miles, 47.4 mpg.  Maybe Consumer Reports should get some instruction on how to drive a hybrid before they do their test.  My first couple of fill ups were a little low on the mpg, then I picked up some tips on this forum and others and on many 6 - 10 mile trips I consistently see 50+ mpg.  As long as my wife doesn't  drive it the mileage stays up there.

If CR drove the C-max or any other car in a particular way to increase fuel economy, then they would not be getting good comparison data. 

Hopefully when the weather warms up (which should be pretty soon with temps way above average) - and there are more c-max's on the road, more people will get better data and enter it in Fuelly.

I know of no other publication with the reliability, objectivity and accuracy of Consumer Reports...and I've been reading and subscribing for over 50 years.  I began driving about the same time I began reading the magazine and in all that time I've always been able to easily better their mileage figures in comparable vehicles, as well as exceeding the EPA figures ever since they were published.  Perhaps they just drive differently in the northeast and I know the traffic there isn't comparable to my flat-land Detroit-area travels so I don't concern myself much with those numbers.  I've always been much more interested in mpg than 0-60 times and am looking forward to delivery of an SEL sometime within the next month or so.  Perhaps I've learned a thing or two about mpg in a half-century of driving...

People can believe whatever they want, but Consumer reports tends to be right on.  I am a Prius driver and know how to get the right mileage.  I am getting about 40 MPG now in the C Max, but am confident that I will get close to the EPA estimates.  However, if you drive it normally, I think that the Prius V will end up much closer to the EPA estimates than the Ford.  I think Ford will be forced to lower the MPG figure.  I've learned over the years that you can deny all you want, but Consumer reports is usually dead on and unbiased.  People who just bought the C Max tend to be biased about it and don't want to admit that they may have bought in to the 47 MPG hoping it would be true.  

I have the C Max and love it and will take 40 MPG overall.  I like it over the Prius V.  There is no way, however, that the C Max will get 47 on the highway.  City maybe.  I could be wrong. 

People can believe whatever they want, but Consumer reports tends to be right on.  I am a Prius driver and know how to get the right mileage.  I am getting about 40 MPG now in the C Max, but am confident that I will get close to the EPA estimates.  However, if you drive it normally, I think that the Prius V will end up much closer to the EPA estimates than the Ford.  I think Ford will be forced to lower the MPG figure.  I've learned over the years that you can deny all you want, but Consumer reports is usually dead on and unbiased.  People who just bought the C Max tend to be biased about it and don't want to admit that they may have bought in to the 47 MPG hoping it would be true.  

I have the C Max and love it and will take 40 MPG overall.  I like it over the Prius V.  There is no way, however, that the C Max will get 47 on the highway.  City maybe.  I could be wrong. 

Last year I bought a coffee pot that Consumer Reports gave their top rating. Less than a week later my coffee pot started to leak and I returned it for a full refund. I started reading all the user reviews on Amazon and Consumer Reports, 98% experienced quality issues?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/feed-resources/power-reviews/pwr/product-reviews/Coffeemakers/Cooks/p/246__99031374-Stainless-Steel-CM4221-JC-Penney.html

Edited by darrelld

Again, you can deny all you want, but Consumer Reports tends to be correct.  There is definitely a reason that Honda and Toyota have been rated so high over the years.  It's because they have been generally better at reliability.  American manufacturers have a long way to go to get people to believe in their products again

Again, you can deny all you want, but Consumer Reports tends to be correct.  There is definitely a reason that Honda and Toyota have been rated so high over the years.  It's because they have been generally better at reliability.  American manufacturers have a long way to go to get people to believe in their products again

Been a Consumer Reports subscriber for years and very familiar with their ratings, they are not 100% accurate. Owned several Toyotas and my 2006 Lexus IS was the worst most problematic recalled car I have ever owned.

Both Toyota and Honda are in a race to see who can recall the most cars this year;

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/toyota-hold-worlds-biggest-car-recall-16-years-1C6374378

i think the most objective mpg report at this time, is fuelly.com . it also seems that warm weather types in the south and west because electro type things work more efficiently in the warm, they would get the best ratings. those in the north, especially when you need the heater will seem diminished numbers. but when you compare them to other suv types, the cmax is the mpg better..... hey this cmax has almost as much room with the rear seats down as my ford explorer sport. and way easier to park.... ford might have an issue like Hyundai for those mpg numbers, and you early buyers might see a rebate or something like what those Hyundai drivers are going to see....