USING HILL ASSIST TO HELP BATTERY REGENERATION?

BWP

Used Hill Assist on long steep downslopes  in the AZ White Mountains over Thanksgiving weekend.  If driving slowish, it seems to be only regen braking.  If driving faster, or if the car begins to pick up speed, the engine is engaged, at rather alarmingly high RPMs - I think I saw 4,000 RPM +.  The weird thing is I noticed that even if I disengaged the Hill Assit, the engine stayed engaged, albeit at slightly lower engine speed, like maybe 3,000 RPM.  Switching to Neutral would disengage the engine, so it would be off, but shifting back into Drive would re-engage the engine at the same ~3,000 RPMs, without stepping on the gas or brakes.  Believe it or not, the only way I could get the engine/trans back to normal was to step on the accelerator for a few seconds...that finally got the engine turned off.

I need to experiment with this some more, the next time we drive up North (between XMas and New Years), and will report back what I find.