Ford's MPG Numbers for Fusion and C-MAX Hybrids to be Scrutinized by EPA

darrelld

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/fords-mpg-numbers-fusion-and-c-max-hybrids-be-scrutinized-epa.html

Gap Between Theory and Reality?

Consumer advocate par excellence Consumer Reports has recently published a piece on the difference between official EPA fuel economy numbers and real-world testing numbers for a variety of hybrids. Most models proved to perform a bit worse in CR's tests than in the EPA's, but the Ford C-MAX hybrid and Ford Fusion hybrid topped the list with gaps of 10 and 8 MPGs. Apparently this was enough to raise concerns at the EPA: "The Environmental Protection Agency said Saturday it will review claims that two new Ford Motor Co. vehicles aren't getting the advertised 47 miles per gallon."

People familiar with the recent Hyundai controversy might think that something similar took place at Ford, but that's not necessarily the case. Both the C-MAX and Fusion hybrids can reach pretty high speeds in pure EV mode (62 mph), and this can have a bigger effect on the tightly controlled EPA methodology than on real world driving, resulting in that MPG gap. That might not be a big relief to owners of these models who drive in the real world, but at least there's no evidence so far that Ford inflated MPG numbers intentionally.

Thats exactly what they need with the AC on. Then with hybrids run another test with temps in the 30's and the cabin climate set to 70 degrees.

The only way for a hybrid to get a good result with that type of test is if it was towing 400lbs of batteries or had a Mr. Fusion on board :)

You can look at the EPA MPG for the Energi to see that even with the unrealistic EPA testing, filling half the c-max with batteries will only get you so far on the highway.

The only way for a hybrid to get a good result with that type of test is if it was towing 400lbs of batteries or had a Mr. Fusion on board :)

You can look at the EPA MPG for the Energi to see that even with the unrealistic EPA testing, filling half the c-max with batteries will only get you so far on the highway.

Everyone expects real world for EPA tests, the only way to accomplish that is simulating real world conditions. My TDI will only vary about 2-3 mpg under the conditions I described.

Everyone expects real world for EPA tests, the only way to accomplish that is simulating real world conditions. My TDI will only vary about 2-3 mpg under the conditions I described.

True, and we'd need to further lower our expectations if there were a more realistic test (but it would certainly be better than what we have now). 

The weight will affect economy more in city driving. In highway mode wind and motor are the bigger factors. Except climbing big hills, then the weight matters...

The Energi negative impact at highway driving is the shorter top gear ratio which allows the electric motor to go 80mph. That reduces the highway fuel economy for the ICE.

It's one big trade-off.

My Jetta TDI was outstanding on the highway. But in the city doesn't get the best mileage. We drive mostly city, so the Energi makes more sense for us.

i would say anyone with a cmax, register their car on fuelly.com . the more real world numbers the better to extrapolate the real world MPG> it might mean ford to offer current owners with the expectations of 47 or near 47, a rebate or so. but even at near 40, you save a lot of fuel costs.