Another solution for improving low mpg

Laurel

Mine is not to let my husband drive my car.  I feel like slapping him silly when I see all the leaves flying away LOL.  I can totally see that individual driving habits are responsible for the hybrids with low mpg.  It takes owning a hybrid to see the impact of lead feet, inattention to synchronized traffic lights, fast take offs, and sudden stops etc.  If I was wealthy, I would buy him a C-Max and we would compare mpg for a few months and I would have proof.

The best possible tool for better mpg is actually a digitial display on the dash showing current average mpg. You don't need a hybrid for that, my VW Jetta came with such a display, and it definitely helped me change some of my driving habits. Laurel, just make sure the left instrument cluster is showing the mpg display before you let your husband drive, and make comments now and then like 'ooh, you're now at exactly half my average...', or 'wow, you've broken the 30 mpg barrier!'. :)

Ford could add a feature to show average mpg based on the driver using the vehicle (similar to having a fob or key which sets your mirrors based on the driver), that would settle the debate.

That's actually an awesome idea!  Maybe someone at Ford will pick up on this.  I would think it would be some fairly simple report programming for them.  It would also be another option that other Hybrids don't have :)

I understand what you mean. I know more about how to drive our Prius economically than my wife, but she consistently beats me by at least 10% by just driving it. It should be even worse with the C-Max because the acceleration is so much better.

BTW, the Avg MPG by driver is already displayed on the Elighten and Empower screens. It is keyed to the individual fob.

Ford could add a feature to show average mpg based on the driver using the vehicle (similar to having a fob or key which sets your mirrors based on the driver), that would settle the debate.

LOL, c'mon, Ford doesn't even give you a memory setting for the electric seats in the SEL model. Zero chance of this enhancement.