Things are about to get interesting...

AgentCMAX

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121214/AUTO0102/212140426/1148/auto01/Ford-EPA-not-expected-revise-fuel-efficiency-numbers-C-Max-Hybrid

Detroit — Ford Motor Co. officials Friday acknowledged the real-world fuel-efficiency in its C-Max Hybrid is dependent on driving style and other outside factors, and said it does not expect the car's fuel efficiency numbers to change.

That top electric-only speed means that for the portion of the EPA's highway fuel-efficiency test, which maxes out at 60 mph, the car can travel in electric-only mode without the gasoline engine kicking on; essentially the C-Max Hybrid is optimized for the EPA test.

I disagree with that statement about the C-Max Hybrid being optimized for the EPA test.  In my other post elsewhere, I mentioned that in my daily commute in traffic on the freeway, my speed will go below 60 mph.  Hence, if the car can drive in EV mode, then the better fuel economy I will get.  That's real-world gain in fuel economy, that's not optimization for some test!

Interesting indeed. As I said somewhere before, the real world expectation of 47MPG highway is at 65MPH. At least I did, so did my wife and if we sometimes get stuck in traffic ala 405 up to Sunset Blvd hill, then thats a bonus for an electric car. Right now, I have to concede personally, I am not seeing 47MPG at 65mph steady and this is after slowing right down from 70mph in my prior ICE car. If anything, my bone to pick is the 35MPG city is BS, this car is optimized 25-55mph for sure, so 47+MPG is my real world experience here.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax