Flashing check engine light with P0302 code

METROMAN

My better half called me at work yesterday and said the check engine light started flashing as she was on the way home. She was almost home when it happened, so no long drive with it flashing. She also said it seemed to be running fine.

Just plugged in my scanner and got the P0302 code, misfire on cyl 2. Light was not flashing on me when I started the engine. I did have to let the hybrid battery run down before the engine would start running. Anyways, no light, no rough running, all seems right with the world, except for the code that's in the system memory. I didn't clear the code. Thought I'd just leave it in case we end up at the Stealership for repairs.

Seems to me i recall reading somewhere about some Cmax injectors having an issue with clogging. I just dumped in a can of Berryman fuel treatment for cleaning injectors for good measure. Hopefully that will clean it up and the problem will be solved.

Car manufacture date is 04/13. Anyone else seen anything similar?

Just plugged in my scanner and got the P0302 code, misfire on cyl 2. Light was not flashing on me when I started the engine. I did have to let the hybrid battery run down before the engine would start running. 

FYI next time if you want your engine to start right away, just turn on your heater and turn up the temp. It will start in seconds.

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke to different professionals and came to the conclusion that it is best to buy branded gas such as Chevron for the added Techron. Texaco is also adding in Techron on all grades. Other brands are adding in their competing injector cleaners. I was instructed that paying that extra .15 cents US to each gallon will keep your injectors clean such that you don't need to add injector cleaner every so often. On the math side, as well as convenience side the formula has worked well for me. I only buy Chevron for the Techron or Shell with their competing cleaner added, Exxon or Texaco. So far, at 128K miles I've got nothing but smooth running. I think in all these years I've added in one can of Seafoam that I had laying around for one of my Waverunners, but that was years ago.

I spoke to different professionals and came to the conclusion that it is best to buy branded gas such as Chevron for the added Techron. Texaco is also adding in Techron on all grades. Other brands are adding in their competing injector cleaners. I was instructed that paying that extra .15 cents US to each gallon will keep your injectors clean such that you don't need to add injector cleaner every so often. On the math side, as well as convenience side the formula has worked well for me. I only buy Chevron for the Techron or Shell with their competing cleaner added, Exxon or Texaco. So far, at 128K miles I've got nothing but smooth running. I think in all these years I've added in one can of Seafoam that I had laying around for one of my Waverunners, but that was years ago.

Personally, I try to go to Top Tier gas stations. Top Tier is an industry detergent gasoline standard; for example, Chevron is a Top Tier brand. In fact, most major gasoline brands are Top Tier and many of the major auto manufacturers recommend Top Tier gasoline, including Ford. Additionally, Top Tier brands must have the detergent in all octane grades -- you aren't getting a better detergent in Premium fuel than you get from Regular 87 Octane gasoline. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a huge amount of difference in the detergent effectiveness of any of the Top Tier gasoline brands; all will do a good job of keeping your engine "clean." You can find a list of brands that support Top Tier on their website. Personally, I typically buy my gas from Costco both because it is inexpensive, but also because they sell Top Tier gasoline.

And you don't have to pay $0.15 per gallon extra for branded gas with Techron although many Top Tier stations sell branded gas with Techron.  I can always find Top Tier gas that is the same or lower price than non Top Tier Gas. I switched to Top Tier in the early 2000s after having mis-firing issues in my Passat and haven't had misfires in my vehicles since.

Haven't had this issue with my C-Max (yet...) but I did have a 302 with my 2004 Ford Focus. I spent $800 total with two different garages (they both replaced the idle control valve - one after market and one Ford) but I continued to have the check engine light show up. I tried Techron (cheap at Costco!) and it worked but only for a month or two. I looked on the internet and saw other Focus people reference a 'better' product: Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant - Injector Cleaner and Fuel Conditioner.

I used it and the check engine light went off and stayed off (two years).  Now once or twice a year I put it in my gas and no 302 or check engine light.  I bought a single use small bottle and a large bottle to refill the smaller bottle to get the right amount so I'd recommend getting a small bottle and large one for refills.