My 2014 C-MAX Energi started playing wind chimes

kdawson

While I was sitting in my office, alone in the house, rather loud wind chimes started up. They would sound for about 15 seconds, take 10 seconds off, then do another round. It got really annoying and I wanted it to stop.

It took me 10 or 15 minutes to localize the sound. Wind chimes are like that, the sound seems to come from everywhere. Wasn't my neighbors, wasn't out in the street, wasn't in the house. Then I went out to the (locked) garage, went in, unlocked the car, sat in it, and closed the door.

The sound was definitely coming from the car! Again difficult to localize. Sounded like it emerged from the front firewall, but impossible to say really.

The car was not on, the sound system was not on.

I had errands to do so I turned on the car (not the sound system), drove out, and stopped in the alley. Yep, I was a rolling wind chime, 15 sec. on, 10 off.

I spent time going into corners of the menu tree I had never or rarely been in, looking to see if it might be an alert or warning or something. Could not find anything.

I drove off and about 4 minutes later the chimes cut off, boom, in mid-sequence. Silence. Blessed silence.

What in heck is going on? Has anyone experienced anything like this with their C-MAX?