Are Transmission Replacements Available to second owners?

Spegzly

Hello,

Trying to buy one of these and have been doing research for a while now. I found the TSB about the 2015 transmissions also being bad...has there been another TSB extending that past the 8/15/15 production date? I'm in Washington State and there are a lot of fairly low mileage 2013's available but no one who is selling them privately seems to know about the transmission issues and I don't trust a dealer to know or care much.  I had been looking for 2015's since I thought they'd been fixed by then. Currently looking at one that was built 2/15 so it would fall under the aforementioned TSB. What I am wondering is if the warranty extends to second owners no questions asked? Also, it is 8years or 100,000 miles? Additionally, is there a sense of the failure rate on them? I have seen as high as 75% in the Arizona study.

Thanks,

Spencer

AFAIK, no extensions past 8/15/ 2015 but that doesn’t mean whatever is causing the bearing issue has been “fixed.” The latest TSB is 18-2328 dated Oct. 30, 2018 which replaces 17-0039. The reason for the new TSB is an incorrect procedure. Remember these TSBs are to help Dealers resolve issues but does not extend the 8 year / 100k miles (whichever comes first) unique hybrid Ford warranty which covers replacement of the original transmission in the vehicle (warranty not tied to original owner). The new, replacement transmission is not covered by this hybrid warranty but by Ford’s replacement parts warranty.

We don’t know what changes, if any, Ford made to mitigate potential bearing failure in newer transmissions. We can only speculate that cars with the HF35 built after 8/15/2015 have a less likelihood of having this issue.

Also, IMO, the C-Max is great car but resale value is low. Why would someone privately sell a great car for a “low” price. :)

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer