2013 CMax Hybrid SEL AGM battery?

pianewman

6 hours ago, jzchen said:

Resetting the battery monitor is part of the instructions.  Glad they did it.  When I replaced our ex Energi's battery at about 3 years I did not reset for 1 day, while I figured out how, but I honestly didn't notice a difference...

One will notice a difference after a few years if one doesn't reset the BMS as the charging algorithm will see significant accumulated capacity loss (3 years of old battery losses + several years of new battery losses).  The result will be a continued lowering of the SOC of the new battery.  The only way to get the new battery to its then current "full" capacity is to charge the battery by driving maybe 20 hours over a few days or an external charger overnight. But without resetting the BMS, the new battery SOC even if externally charged to "full" will continue to decline to what the PCM (using BMS data) believes is the current battery capacity (new battery capacity of 43 Ah minus the BMS computed capacity losses over time from last BMS reset). 

IMO, BMS NOT RESET for new battery is why many people including myself have seen reading around 12 V +- a few tenths as their BMS was not reset after their battery was replaced.  NOT RESETTING "negates" the benefits of a BMS - to extend the service life of the battery (mitigate sulfation) by 1) preventing overcharging and 2) keeping battery charged to near full capacity (43 Ah less capacity losses).  Of course, we will never know how much life was added by doing the BMS reset but we do know that sulfation is the primary cause of batteries failing.?