bike carrier

dusty

anyone recommend a easy on/off bike carrier that wont mar up the finish? dont want to roof mount the bike, since its too hard for us older types to lift onto a  roof rack.  off to a mountain bike retreat next week, and dont want to take apart the bike to fit in the back......... cmax means see max have fun.....

• 2 months later...

Go with a hitch and a tray style bike rack. It is the easiest and best option for you, your c-max and your bike. The only downside that I have encountered is that you have to remember not to push the trunk button on your remote when the rack is in the up position.

I use the Kuat Enve and haven't had any issues with it so far, the Thule T2 and the Kuat Sherpa are also good racks.

• 3 months later...

For those of you who installed a hitch for a bike rack, do you have the foot activated lift gate? 

I am willing to give up the use of that feature in order to have a hitch/bike rack but I don't know if installing the hitch makes the lift gate malfunction (ie open when it shouldn't or anything else undesirable).

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

If I don't go with a hitch, I am considering a roof rack.  Anyone get a roof rack system that works well with our CMax?

For those of you who installed a hitch for a bike rack, do you have the foot activated lift gate? 

I am willing to give up the use of that feature in order to have a hitch/bike rack but I don't know if installing the hitch makes the lift gate malfunction (ie open when it shouldn't or anything else undesirable).

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

The hitch does not interfere with the foot-activated door. Just make sure the bike rack is padded in case you trigger it with the rack on! Edited by ArizonaEnergi