No Charge In Neutral

SnowStorm

I guess it makes sense but apparently the C-Max is programmed to not charge the HVB in neutral even with low SOC.  I had started up but was waiting in the driveway - ICE had started since SOC was low (EV+) - and noticed HVB discharging.  Shift to forward, reverse or park and it would charge.  Shift to neutral and it would discharge.  So, neutral really means 'no load on the ICE' as it would with a conventional drive train.  I wonder what would happen if you sat there a long time?  Hopefully its programmed to start charging at some point!

That is strange, mine charges in neutral with the ICE on. :headscratch:  I wonder if you have AC/Heater on and it is taking more power than charging system is supplying. I'm not sure that is even possible.

Paul

Really?  If you sit in neutral with ICE running you get an UP arrow?  My AC/heat was not on.

Yes I found this out a few years back, always at the car wash in summer with A/C blasting. Put in N and then let the rollers push the car through and by the end car getting quite hot at it quit charging the HVB and on LOW BATT shut down the A/C compressor. So I strive to hit the car wash in mid-summers with some decent HVB charge level at entry else wise I will lose that wonderful cool air at the end of the tunnel.