Sync2 Failure VS Radio (ACM) Module Failure: Anyone Have A Radio Failure?

stratosurfer

I'm still dealing with my Sync2 system locking up and losing radio and Sync Functions. I called 4DTech who sell the new Sync2 to Sync3 upgrade system which I am considering and discussed my issues. I am on the trouble that requires the fuse # 79 R&R to restore normal function. He says most APIM's die with a black screen, which mine is not doing. When I paid Ford to diagnose this 18 months ago they said I needed a new radio module (ACM). BUT they 'got it working', obviously by R/R'ing fuse #79 and it worked fine for 18 months.

So the DTech guy said that he felt I could still have a failing radio, but that (I shared the codes I pulled on FORscan: lost comms between APIM to Radio and Lost Comms between APIM and Sync) that he felt I a 60/40 APIM to ACM is failing.

So here is my question, with the C-Max (or others)  with Sync2 system, has anyone had a radio fail?

Here is the link to the C-max upgrade, I will be selecting the non NAV kit and navigate on WAZE and Google Maps via Apple Play.

https://www.4dtech.com/13-15-ford-c-max-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/#reviewsHeading

THX

Mark

So I reset my system last night with the infamous Fuse 79 R&R and all is working again. I pulled codes with FORScan iOS and came up with these two codes: 

U0184:00-28 Lost Communication With Audio Control Module

U0256:00-28 Lost Communication With Sync Module

So what I am trying to nail down is, is my problem primarily a dying ACM (radio module) or is it the APIM. A shop in CA that I called yesterday said the symptom of R&Ring Fuse to restore function he has found to be a problematic (read dying?) ACM. 

From the codes I would think that the APIM is the one mishandling the pause in comms from the listed modules and then locking them out due to a software issue?

I’m shooting theoreticals here to make a decision about the Sync2 to Sync3 upgrade once the dash is torn apart and getting a salvage radio (ACM) to put in in the same ‘Open Dash Surgery’. The shop in CA that fixes these ACMs says the cost is a range of $285 up to $700 to repair an ACM, a salvage ACM can be had on eBay for $129.00 and he said I can send it to him for a diagnostic at no charge, just the shipping.

I will mention again that the dealer who I paid the $150 diagnostic over 18 months ago said it was the radio failing, and wanted about $600 (gave me credit for the $150 diagnostic) and not the APIM. I am convinced as complex and with as many upgrades they make on the HARDWARE as they roll these vehicles out plus SOFTWARE updates that happen for each module, that the dealer is making a BEST GUESS on this problem.

It is strange that a failing radio (ACM) could be reset by R&Ring it’s fuse and then work for 18 months perfectly in hard daily use...

I have gotten the cost down on the Sync2 to Sync 3 upgrade with a salvage radio to about $450.00 with me doing the programming on FORScan PC version, including the lifetime license on the PC version of the software. The tip to complete this software reflash for the sync3 system once installed is to find a 2017 or later C-Max with exactly my  options and then enter that VIN into FORScan and it will drop in all the proper and matching software codes for all the modules involved with the APIM and everything will work.

Putting out these calls ‘In The Blind’ in hopes that someone else is is a similar situation.

Mark

The service manual for both U0184 and U0256 indicate that the testing involves wiring and connector checks for seating and corrosion and so forth. Also, if you clear the codes with FORScan and restart the car and the codes are still present after wiring and connection checks are OK, the SM says replace ACM for U0184 and replace FCIM for U0256. This is likely why the dealer recommended replacing the ACM. 

Have you done the self tests on the modules via FORScan?  I know there is one for the APIM and maybe the others.

Fuse 79 provides power to the ACM and FCIM.  Fuse 67 provides power to the APIM, GPSM and the FCDIM.

The service manual for both U0184 and U0256 indicate that the testing involves wiring and connector checks for seating and corrosion and so forth. Also, if you clear the codes with FORScan and restart the car and the codes are still present after wiring and connection checks are OK, the SM says replace ACM for U0184 and replace FCIM for U0256. This is likely why the dealer recommended replacing the ACM. 

Have you done the self tests on the modules via FORScan?  I know there is one for the APIM and maybe the others.

Fuse 79 provides power to the ACM and FCIM.  Fuse 67 provides power to the APIM, GPSM and the FCDIM.

Thanks this is helpful. I did pull pull fuse 79 and that restored function and thereafter did run FORScan and the codes were still present. After that I ran the APIM Diagnostic Test in FORScan and it came back OK. FORScan did not show a test for the ACM and I’ll have to re-run now and see if it shows a diagnostic for the FCIM. Your service manual protocols make perfect sense. What I decided: I found a Smoking Deal on a Sync 3 APIM and Screen and an adapter cable to upgrade Sync2 to Sync3 for $258 all in. My plan will be to complete the tests you’ve shared and go forward with the Upgrade and when I do the install I will check all the connections and apply Corrosion X to all connectors on the ACM and FCIM and APIM. I will program all with FORScan and then if the ACM keeps working, then I know the problem was probably the connections and corrosion. If the problem continues and after the tests you shared I will buy a salvage ACM ($100 on eBay) and re-open the patient and put in the salvage ACM.

Thanks so much Plus 3 Golfer I will report as I further diagnose the tests you shared. I am traveling and won’t take the dash apart for a couple weeks so I can’t really run the portion on the connections until I do the upgrade.

Thanks Again and I will document this procedure and findings.

Mark

Edited by stratosurfer