Class Action Lawsuit Filed

Catmobile

The Detroit News is reporting that a law firm has filed a class action lawsuit against Ford for its mileage claims on the C-Max and the Fusion hybrid. 

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121226/AUTO0102/212260404/Class-action-lawsuit-disputes-Ford-C-Max-Fusion-hybrid-mileage-claims?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

In the week that I've had my car I've been very happy with my mileage, I would say coming close to averaging 45 or so in around-town driving (I haven't had it out on the highway long enough to be able to test it).  This with only 500 miles on the odo, winter gasoline blend, and 10% ethanol.  So I'm not sure what some people are doing that they're only getting in the 30's (granted, I had a hybrid before so I know how to drive one).  But we'll see what happens with this.

No there won't be hefty rebates.  I read about the Hyundai settlements.  Roughly about a $150 a person on average--calculated on miles driven comparing the actual mileage to the advertised mileage.  Barely worth bothering with IMHO.  I think some people see dollar signs when the amount spent in the situation is just peanuts.  So get the dollar signs out of your eyes.   I love my C-Max and I won't be joining any class action over gasoline.

Edited by Laurel

what did you expect - they smelled free easy cash because they had a bad year, they where only able to take 12 week long vacations on Monte Carlo this year. Interestingthough given the total number of c-maxes that are physically on the road the return will be great for the lawyers because the payouts to the low number of owners will be minuscule.

Only lawyers win when there is a class action lawsuit.

Agreed, for consumers class action lawsuits are a waste of time, better to use the small claims process if you feel the need to extract a reasonable settlement. 

The only possible win for consumers out of all this, would be manufacturers pushing for testing by the EPA which approaches real world conditions - given the state of things in this country, the most likely way that will happen is by pressure from industry lobbyists.  Based on the news, it is already happening with Ford talking with the EPA about the tests for hybrids.