Just got a 2013 C-Max Energi and hear noise

rowekmr

I just bought a 2013 C-Max Energi from auction with 106k miles. When I picked it up I started it and immediately heard an engine noise that I never heard before from this drivetrain (have briefly owned a few beforehand). I instantly learned why it was at auction lol

I have only driven a mile to check out its basic operation.

I notice the sound with gas engine running at idle. Since it is normally in EV at stop/idle I had to press the accelerator until the ICE engine comes on. Its like a slight chatter noise. At first I thought it was a loose heatshield. As it revs higher the noise goes away. In EV mode I don't hear a noise driving/accelerating until I am regen braking and as the car slows I can hear a whining noise increase.

Now I know why my service writer told me to not buy used C-max's lol

Where should I start with this?

12 hours ago, rowekmr said:

I just bought a 2013 C-Max Energi from auction with 106k miles. When I picked it up I started it and immediately heard an engine noise that I never heard before from this drivetrain (have briefly owned a few beforehand). I instantly learned why it was at auction lol

I have only driven a mile to check out its basic operation.

I notice the sound with gas engine running at idle. Since it is normally in EV at stop/idle I had to press the accelerator until the ICE engine comes on. Its like a slight chatter noise. At first I thought it was a loose heatshield. As it revs higher the noise goes away. In EV mode I don't hear a noise driving/accelerating until I am regen braking and as the car slows I can hear a whining noise increase.

Now I know why my service writer told me to not buy used C-max's lol

Where should I start with this?

I am a newbie having just bought a 2016 CMAX Hybrid (and loving it) but I know there are plenty of posts on this site about the eCVT issues, and how to figure out if what you have is it, as well as how to approach fixing it. (through Ford at times depending upon warranty remaining, and through outside garages and locating newer transmission from wrecking yards.

Here is one of the threads.....but there are plenty in the form about eCVT: https://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/7959-how-widespread-is-the-ecvt-failure/

I also recommend looking at the most recent Ford Technical Service Bulletin on the matter, which I think is found here:  https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148717-9999.pdf

That will describe the issue and the noises and condition under which those noises can be heard if you have the problem.

But I think the forum descriptions are far more useful / descriptive.

Good Luck,

-Quentin

Thanks for the response/info. I was wondering was there anything I could look at before I drop it off. I drove it a few days on EV and ICE to see exactly when it does act up and honestly besides idling on ICE I didn’t notice much.

I dropped it off at my Ford with a descriptive note on what happens and when and a copy of the TSB and will wait to hear their diagnosis.

To prepare for the grimmest news I looked up parts yards prices for 2016 trans using the VIN lookup for oemford website to check compatibility. Just for giggle I asked the dealership my price for new trans (FM5Z 7000 D) and he quoted 4975 (6475 list) but he said his computer matched my car to a trans that was FM5Z 7000 BRM that is 3650 (4650) that’s a reman Ford unit both have same warranty.