Increasing ground clearance

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have Michelin X-ice snow tires that are slightly larger than C-max stock tires.  After spring snow melt pot holes and  some frost-heave bumps emerge in our roads.  I was out on unfamiliar road two weeks ago and hit a new abrupt bump.  Shortly after I heard a new whine coming from rear of car.  Stopped and checked and the left rear tire had torn and peeled a thin wheel-well liner and bunched it up in the front of the wheel-well rubbing against the left rear tire.   I couldn't move it by hand but managed to sort-of get it loosely back in place using the long handle of the lug wrench.  Not a permanent solution.

I like the idea of lifts (or taller springs?).  I assume trade-off would be increased drag (impact highway speed mpg) and maybe handling.  Advantage would be ability to get over snow-plow driveway dams and can use larger diam tires.

Escape was built on same platform, yes?  Maybe some options there?

4 hours ago, djc said:

I ... hit a ... bump.

Me, too, years ago, when I'd been experimenting with car mods to lower drag. I added an air dam and side skirts. The air dam was more of a chin spoiler, at the rear of the front under panel, front of the oil change access panel, swept back to meet the wheel wells where 2014's got a little "bump" of an aero add-on. 

I hit a pothole I knew well, as it was at the entrance to the parking lot at work. It was at the bottom of a speed bump, and I hit it just right to tear one side off. Used metal fatigue to break off the torn part so I could go to work. 

You would need off-road ground clearance if you expect to clear the plow wall. Escape has much more ground clearance, even more in Bronco Sport, partly due to oversize tires. It's a new platform, but there will be tons of options, especially if Bronco Sport stuff fits Escape. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 1:38 PM, jmcgliss said:

I was looking into this recently and could only find a lift kit "from Russian Federation".  My wife loves her C-Max until we have deep snow.

I haven't checked out the Russian version, but here's a German option if that's better for you:

https://www.spaccer.com/en_US/

* I haven't had personal experience with this company nor it's products.  (Disclaimer)

Edited by jzchen

Amazon is currently listing a lift kit for the C-max Energi.  Brand is "Tema", price $192.  The kit shares parts with the Escape lift kit, except (I believe) the spring extender is taller in the C-max kit.  Kit includes 2 rear spring spacers, 2 rear shock spacers, and 2 front strut spacers plus screws and washers.

I watched a Hyundai owner on youtube comparing a Tema kit from Amazon with an ebay kit (I assume the one from Russian Federation), showing the Tema kit was better made.  He had ordered both to compare, and returned the less expensive ebay kit.

One would want to know why the Tema listing mentions Energi but not regular C-max hybrid. They are supposed to have identical suspension parts, even though Energi is almost 300  lb heavier.

https://www.amazon.com/Tema4x4-Complete-C-Max-Energi-2013-2017/dp/B08CC6YZXF

14 hours ago, jzchen said:

Just an FYI but I believe that company has a website www.tema4x4.com.  It looks to be the Russian company.  It does seem to have better pricing than the German one...

Thanks.  I see "tema" is on ebay as well, listing the same C-max Energi kit.

I am enticed by the ebay listing description, which assures me that installing this kit will enable my C- max to "conquer the worst off-road thanks to the increased clearance" and will permit me to  "avoid scrapping the ground on steep driveways and speed bumps",  although I admit I have been trying more to avoid scrapping the car, rather than the ground.