Had a keyfob programmed. It works as a "mykey", what do?

Bought car with one admin key.

Had an OEM ebay key programmed at locksmith.  It works, but speed limited to 80mph.  

In the menu it says the car has 3 admin keys, 0 mykeys???

Any way to make this into an admin key?   Locksmith says they cant do anything.

Edited by WannaCMAX

The car came with 2 FOBs programmed into the BCM but you only have one of them.  Do you know how many FOBs were programmed into car originally (what the car menu said).  IMO, the locksmith should have done a reset which would have erased all data in the vehicle.  I don't believe you need all FOBs to do a reset.  Then the locksmith should have programmed your original FOB and purchased FOB into the car.  The two FOBs would then be Admin keys. Since your display says 3 Admin / O mykeys, sounds like locksmith did something incorrectly.

I don't see why the locksmith can't repeat the procedure with the two FOBs you now have programmed - run the reset and erase program and then follow the instructions to reprogram. Maybe a locksmith does not have full online access to the Ford software that a dealer has and can only add a key, not reset and erase keys. 

I'd make a trip to the dealer and ask a SA about your situation.  You can call but I've always had better results by going there as over the phone they usually say let's schedule an appointment and we'll look at it.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:02 PM, Plus 3 Golfer said:

The car came with 2 FOBs programmed into the BCM but you only have one of them.  Do you know how many FOBs were programmed into car originally (what the car menu said).  IMO, the locksmith should have done a reset which would have erased all data in the vehicle.  I don't believe you need all FOBs to do a reset.  Then the locksmith should have programmed your original FOB and purchased FOB into the car.  The two FOBs would then be Admin keys. Since your display says 3 Admin / O mykeys, sounds like locksmith did something incorrectly.

I don't see why the locksmith can't repeat the procedure with the two FOBs you now have programmed - run the reset and erase program and then follow the instructions to reprogram. Maybe a locksmith does not have full online access to the Ford software that a dealer has and can only add a key, not reset and erase keys. 

I'd make a trip to the dealer and ask a SA about your situation.  You can call but I've always had better results by going there as over the phone they usually say let's schedule an appointment and we'll look at it.

The locksmith was a jerk and didn't want to help.   They screwed up cutting the key and had to order a new blank which probably put them in a foul mood.

They basically stole $65 from me because the junior tech didn't know the proper procedure.

• 2 years later...