My Ford Mobil Update Fails

Two weeks ago, I purchased a used 2016 C-Max Energi.  Over the following week I had been exploring the various features, and had begun ti use the My Ford Mobil app on my phone, to both pull data from the car (fuel level, battery charge, charging status and completion time, ect.) as well as pushing the Go Time schedule to the car (never really did figure out how that works yet).  Over the weekend I tried to pull up information on the car, and got an Update Failed message from the app.  I have gotten this error on each attempt since. 

From some google searching I have seen various answers from pulling certain fuses (the numbers given in posts do not seem to line up with the 2016 C-Max), to disconnecting the 12V battery, all the way to replacing a modem on earlier units (I doubt my 2016 was built with a 2G modem).

Anyone seen this Update Failed issue?  Have a definitive fix?

Thank you.

Actually I think some of the earliest-built 2016s did have 2G modems installed (what a bone-headed move by Ford. The writing's been on the wall for 2G networks for over a decade). You could always call your dealer and ask them to check your car's build date though--here's a letter from Ford about it: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10094770-2532.pdf

That said, AT&T sunset their 2G network January 1 2017, so if your C-Max still had the 2G modem then I wouldn't expect it to have worked for you at all.

The modems do lock up sometimes though--that's where the fuse pull/12V battery disconnect instructions come in. I think one symptom of a locked up modem is that if you pull up the About screen on your center display it won't show a number for modem ESN. Pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery should reset the module and get it working again. If it doesn't then the modem may be dead and need to be replaced ($$).

If this keeps happening then you may want to have your dealer update the car's software. I was having some issues with my TCU (modem) when I first got my 2017 Energi last fall. I could communicate with it mostly but it would miss trips in the trip log. Fortunately it still had a few months' warranty remaining so I had the dealer do a software update which definitely seemed to fix the problem. It's been almost flawless since. Here is the SSM I gave to my dealer: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10137110-9999.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by bookemdano

F67   7.5 Amp  "Cell phone passport (C-MAX Energi), Multi-function display, GPS module,  Sync."

Pulled this one,  waited about 5 minutes then put it back and the issue in no longer present.   Time will tell if it comes back.

Edited by harmanrk

• 6 months later...

Following up here, since I just got done addressing the same problem in my 2016 C-Max Energi.  My car came with the 2G modem installed.  I received a service bulletin, and had it upgraded a year or so later.

This fix is relevant if you use the myfordmobile phone app or website and it has stopped updating.  On my android phone the MFM app would show an "Updating..." top banner that never finished.

The battery charge and fuel tank information was incorrect and did not change.  The Vehicle Locator information was incorrect.

Removing and replacing Fuse F67 in the block below the glove compartment fixed the problem.  Ford is likely relieved, after doing without my car's telemetry for months.

You can find the location of the fuse in the owner's manual in the fuses section, beginning on page 209.

To access the fuse block, remove the small cloth trim panel under the glovebox by pinching and sliding down the two cylindrical black plastic retainers.

F67 is the 3rd fuse down in the 2nd row on my 2016 C-Max Energy.  I used needlenose pliers to remove the fuse. 

Due to the rather limited space for aligning the fuse legs, I had to fumble finger it back into place by hand.

• 6 months later...
On 10/6/2020 at 8:53 AM, ScottChi said:

Removing and replacing Fuse F67 in the block below the glove compartment fixed the problem.  

Thank you thank ScottChi! Your detailed explanation of where the fuse box underneath the glove compartment really helped! This fixed our problem (temporarily) with our 2016 Ford C-Max energi car when it stopped honoring the "Value Charge" profile times (for the fourth or fifth time)) and has been costing us money $$$ by charging our car at the most expensive electricity rate, instead of the off-peak hours we programmed. (I'm mad that Ford has not addressed this and wondering if a class action lawsuit would get their attention since their buggy system has cost us all money? Every time I "fix" it, it just stops working after a while, and charges the car at the wrong times!! The problem is reported on many other forums, not just for C-Max but other plug-in hybrids with Sync 3. Another symptom is not being able to update the "Value Charge" profile times. The first thing I've always tried is performing a Master Reset under General settings. This doesn't work for me. What does work, for future reference, is if the ESN/EIN id number of the modem is blank when looking at "About Sync" screen, popping the hard to reach F67 fuse, waiting a bit, and putting it back in. When starting the car again, it makes my modem have an ID again, and enables me to hit the "Edit" button on the Value Charge profile (the Edit button is disabled when the Sync system is in a bad state). Then make sure to set your clock accurately, and make sure your Value Charge times correctly, and plug in the car. If you're outside the Value Charge window of time, then the circular charge indicator around your charger should NOT blink. If it blinks slowly, then then the car battery is charging and it's still broken and consider suing Ford. Not sure the Master Reset is essential but that's the first thing I tried. Also, we learned lesson NOT to use the Ford mobile app since the integration with the app also seems to make it harder for the car to honor the Value Charge times. Even without the app, the car simply decides to stop honoring the "Value Charge" times. The next time it does, I will pop the F67 fuse and try this fix again.

@cmax-teri Sorry to read of your troubles with Sync 3.  I could only dream of the improvements they'd possibly make from 2, which we had, to the 3 on yours.  I found the value charge worked flawlessly for our '13.  If you plug in after the time set it would still charge.  We "upgraded" our Energi to a '18 Honda Clarity PHEV.  If you pass the exact minute set for value charging and plug it in, nothing will happen.  5 year older Ford technology wins hands down.