Camshaft Position Sensor

la710

My 2013 Ford CMax Hybrid's check engine light has been going on (intermittently) for the last 6 months or so.  The light would go on for a few days and then disappear.  Only to reappear a few days later.  Didn't notice any unusual behavior on the part of my car, so I've been ignoring it.  With more free time on my hands, due to the Covid crisis, I took it to an auto parts store.  They ran a test and the P03040 code appeared, indicating that there is an issue with the Camshaft Position Sensor.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Does the code mean that all I have to do is replace the sensor and all will be well?  Or, could it mean that the sensor is fine and that something else is going on further down the line (with the camshaft itself, for example).  Is replacing the sensor a pretty simple DIY job?  I watched a YouTube video on replacement for a Ford Focus and it looked like a piece of cake.  But when I tried to locate the camshaft in my CMax, I couldn't see it.  Any help will truly be appreciated.  Thanks!

The code is P0340 for the sensor.  See possible causes below.  Since it's relatively inexpensive, you might just replace it as checking the circuits becomes cumbersome as one needs to get to the PCM connectors also.   Remove the air filter housing (like you are going to change the engine air filter) and you should see the sensor.  Lubricate the O-ring when you put the new sensor in.

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 Or Single Sensor)

Description: This DTC sets when the PCM can no longer detect the signal from the camshaft position 11 (CMP11) sensor.
Possible Causes:
  • CMP11 circuit open
  • CMP11 circuit short to ground
  • CMP11 circuit short to voltage
  • SIGRTN circuit open
  • VBPWR circuit open
  • Damaged CMP11 sensor shielding
  • Damaged CMP11 sensor
Diagnostic Aids: Harness routing, harness alterations, damaged shielding, or electrical interference from other incorrectly functioning systems may have an intermittent impact on the CMP11 signal.
Application   Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All   GO to Pinpoint Test DR .
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Thanks, Plus 3 Golfer.  The fellow at the parts store must have written the code down incorrectly, but it was definitely the camshaft position sensor.  I ordered one from Ford and am still waiting on delivery...ordered an air filter at the same time, which has arrived.  Figured I'd replace that too, since I have to open up the housing for the air filter to get to the spot where the CPS lives.  Will report back on how this DIY job turns out.  Cheers!