Bought a 2013 C-Max SEL, software upgrade?

tsnud

Hi C-Max community!

I was driving a little 2006 Smart Car for my commute (40 km, 25 miles daily, mix of highway and city) until a short while ago and was quite happy with the performance and the mileage (4.3 l/100km or 55 mpg). We are expecting our first kid end of the year, so the Smart Car had to be replaced with a car with a second row of seats for the baby seat so we have some redundancy to our 'big car'. I initially did a lot of research and was undecided between a used Prius or a Nissan Leaf. We did a test drive with a Leaf and, while it was fun and there would have been plenty charging options at home/work, we did not like the trunk size (we also have a medium sized dog). A used Prius seemed very expensive even with a high km/mile count and we did not really like the interior. To cut a long story short, by chance we saw that our used car dealer hat a 2013 C-Max SEL with around 135k km/83k miles in very good condition. We did some research, did a test drive and bought it!

I am driving now for around two weeks and I am also very happy with the mileage. When we bought it the life time summary stated 5.8 l/100km or 40.5 mpg. This was already quite convincing, but after a reset of the summary I am driving now at 5.2 l/100km or 45 mpg. I was reading that in the 2013 models there was a software issue which could impair the mileage negatively. Does Ford still offer to upgrade the software? How do I find out if the car was already upgraded? Can I read out the version somewhere? Or can I assume that with a mileage of 45 mpg the upgrade was done already because I would never get that good with the old software? If its the old software, can I expect a huge change in the mileage?

Thanks so much for your help!

JP

Vancouver

Does Ford still offer to upgrade the software?  You can get software updated to latest.  But unless it is a “safety related” update, one generally has to pay for it as most 2013 updates have likely expired.

How do I find out if the car was already upgraded?  A Ford dealer can tell you whether there is any outstanding Customer Service Programs or Safety Recalls.  To ensure you have the latest, the dealer would have to reinstall latest software on several modules. Ford may have made software changes in later MYs  but the 2013 MY doesn’t require it.

Can I read out the version somewhere?  FORScan shows data on all modules installed.  See attached.  I’ve had all CSPs and Recalls performed on my vehicle yet there are likely later versions of the software which the 2013 MY is not eligible to be installed free. 

Or can I assume that with a mileage of 45 mpg the upgrade was done already because I would never get that good with the old software? If its the old software, can I expect a huge change in the mileage?  I have no idea what software issue could lower FE significantly.  Ford did a few things that may help a few tenths of a mpg. 

14CAEB28-244F-45FB-AE30-EB7EA6999B36.png

9D6FD859-ED9E-4D64-9748-170D05BFBF1D.png

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

The following is what Ford supposedly did with CSP 13B07 (Fuel Economy Improvement – Power Train Control Module Calibration

effective through April 14,2014).  I did not note any significant FE improvement from the 5 bullet points. I believe it was more hype than substance at Ford was trying to appease the “reviewers” who said the original EPA FE numbers were bogus. This CSP was issued prior to Ford lowering the EPA numbers not once but twice from the high EPA rating of 47 mpg for city, hwy, and combined.

• Increasing the maximum pure electric speed to 85 mph from 62 mph, allowing increased use of electric-only mode on the highway
  • Optimizing the use of Active Grille Shutters to reduce aerodynamic drag under more driving and temperature conditions including cold weather, during air conditioner use, and when the engine coolant temperature is higher
  • Reducing the electric fan speed as a function of coolant temperature to minimize the fan’s energy consumption
  • Shortening engine warm-up time to enable electric-only driving and engine shutdown at stops sooner after cold starts
  • Optimizing the climate control system to minimize use of the air conditioner compressor and reduce the energy used in cold weather operation
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Hi Plus 3 Golfer,

thanks so much for your input!

I've read out the info of my car:

Model: Ford C-MAX
Engine: Full Hybrid Electric Vehicle
Capacity: 2.0L
Year: 2013
Generation: 2013 MY
Fuel: Gasoline
Transmission gear: Automatic
VIN: censored

SOBDMC - Secondary OBD Control Module C
Bus: HSCAN
Part number: DM58-7P120-GA (latest known: DM58-7P120-AEC)
Strategy : DM58-14G069-AEA
Calibration: MCBG4-3BFB
Total Distance: 134991.0 km

BECM - Battery Energy Control Module
Part number: FM58-10B687-AH (latest known: FM58-10B687-CC)
Strategy : FM58-14C197-CC

PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Part number: DM5A-12A650-FA (latest known: DM5A-12A650-DR)
Strategy : DM5A-14C204-TF
Hardware type: DS71-12B684-AB

OBDII - On Board Diagnostic II

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: DM5T-14D212-AD (latest known: EA5T-14D212-FA)
Strategy : DM5T-14D205-AG

ACCM - Air Conditioning Control Module
Part number: DG9H-19F611-AB
Strategy : DG9H-14D491-AB

SASM - Steering Angle Sensor Module
Part number: DV6T-3F818-AB (latest known: DV6T-3F818-AD)
Strategy : DV6T-14C309-AB

OCS - Occupant Classification System Module
Part number: DM51-603B16-DE
Strategy : DM51-14F595-DC
Calibration: DM51-14F596-DD

ABS - Antilock braking system
Part number: FV68-2C219-AJ (latest known: FV68-2C219-CC)
Strategy : FV68-2D053-CB

Its not that easy to make any sense out of the version numbers/letters. I saw that some ppl talked about a gain in 2 mpg or similar. Maybe its too much of a hustle and money investment to get it upgraded.

Thanks again for all the info you provided.

I checked the Carfax Report and found an entry:

Nov 2013:

Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed. PCM reprogrammed.

So I suppose the 13B07 was done. Should have checked that before opening a thread here, sorry! ?

Thanks again,

JP

4 hours ago, tsnud said:

I checked the Carfax Report and found an entry:

Nov 2013:

Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed. PCM reprogrammed.

So I suppose the 13B07 was done. Should have checked that before opening a thread here, sorry! ?

Thanks again,

JP

Yes, it was done.  If you read 13B07, Ford has a disclaimer indicating your FE improvements will depend on how you drive. ?  One would think Ford engineers would have “wrung out” all the FE they could have Initially but wait, were they using the initially wrong or even the 1st initial corrected wrong Road Load HP dyno coefficients in “tuning” the strategies? ?

You would think.... but if Ford got 13B07 right, then why did they also issue 14E02 and 15E03, both also described as PCM reprogramming on the service order? Granted, they were not complete wipes... only 13B07 reset all the counters. 

@tsnud look for Paul Jones videos for lots of good driving tips. Best I can offer is a tuft test. 

Stay well,

Frank

14E02 and 15E03 apparently corrected software issues related to emissions (maybe some of the 13B07 FE tweaks presented emissions issues - just saying). Maybe they missed some stuff in 13B07 and had to adjust some of the parameters of the emissions monitors like timing, trigger temperatures,  and so forth as these programs were issued in  2014 and 2015 well after the 2013 MY were first sold starting late 2012.

Yes, I remember all these - must have been around 1/2 dozen trips to dealer for CSPs and recalls in the first few years of ownership - one of the reasons the C-Max got poor reliability ratings - too many trips to dealer to fix issues.  

I only get a dozen if I count " TSB14-0078    Door lock repair per TSB"

13C07 Ignition door chime
13B07 PCM reprogram
13B06 Reprogramed rear gate trunk module
13A01 SYNC update
14B03 Fuel economy satisfaction check
14C03 seat back frame replacement
14S04 Perform recall on replaced RCM
14E02 PCM reprogramming
15B04 12v battery test/SW module update
15E03 PCM Reprogramming
16S30 Side door latch replacement

The RCM failure was fun; I hit a pothole and the dash went Christmas! 

Stay well,

Frank

• 2 months later...

If you look at the table in my recent post Proximity Alarms No Longer Sound," you will see what I would presume to be the latest versions of the software of many of the modules.  Note also that after having paid $418 for these minor software upgrades (compair "was" to "is" in the table), my proximity sensors no longer sound when they should.  I had driven less than 200 miles after the upgrades when I noticed they no longer worked.

I notice that there have been over 50 views of my recent post so far, but no one has replied with a report of a similar problem or an idea of how to fix the problem.  (I also made a similar post on https://www.cmaxownersclub.com/forum which has had fewer views and no responses.)  Therefore, I assume that few owners have made the mistake I made by agreeing to pay for the upgrades in the hope of solving the problem of the 12V battery discharging too rapidly while the CMAX was parked.  It didn't solve that problem, and apparently introduced a new one.

For whatever it's worth, my gasoline mileage has been in the 38 to 40 MPG range with very conservative driving but with 1,000 foot elevation changes on some trips.  Incidentally, I calculate the MPG based on odometer and fuel dispenser data, and find the results to be less impressive than those calculated by the CMAX.  I don't think Ford is the only company whose cars inflate the MPG reported on the dashboard.