2013 SEL - cruise control button not working

Hi there,

I recently bought a used 2013 C-MAX SEL. The cruise control button was working initially, but over the last week it worked only around 30% of the time I started the car. If it works after starting, it will work the whole time. If it does not, it will not work for the whole drive. Any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks so much and have a nice day,

JP

Cruise control is disabled if there is a detected issue and there is no indication to the driver of it being disabled.  The input from the cruise control switch is processed by the Steering Angle Sensor Module and sent to the BCM via the HSCan.  "The cruise control steering wheel mounted switches are momentary contact switches. Each steering wheel switch function corresponds to a specific resistance value. The SASM sends out a 5-volt reference voltage to the steering wheel switch and monitors the voltage when a switch is pressed. The voltage varies depending upon the resistance of the specific switch pressed, indicating which switch is pressed." - Service Manual  This circuit passes through the clock spring.  So, one has to remove the air bag in order to troubleshoot the circuit.  There may be DTCs set.  So, you should scan the BCM and SASM.  The trouble shooting is to measure resistance and checking for open / short circuits from the switch to the SASM. 

It also could be a fault in the Brake Switch deactivation function. "When the brake pedal is applied, an electrical signal from the stoplamp circuit to the PCM deactivates the system.”  This is the normal deactivation.  “Under increased brake pedal effort, the cruise control deactivator switch opens and removes the ground signal from the PCM input circuit releasing the throttle, immediately deactivating the system." -Service Manual   Perhaps the deactivator switch is faulty and sticks when brake pedal is first pushed in.  I believe the switch is called the brake pedal angle sensor and has 4 wires and 2 position angle switches.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Hi!

Thanks so much for your help.

I have read out the errors with Forscan and found:

Code B112B - Steering Wheel Module

The Internet tells me:

Communication Number: ASI-32314, Date: 2013-11-13 Category: 114000 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING Summary: FORD: THE CRUISE CONTROL, ON SOME VEHICLES, MAY BE INOPERATIVE DUE TO STEERING WHEEL WIRING HARNESS WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) B112B.07. MODELS 2012-2013 FOCUS, ESCAPE. *PE

Is there anything I can do? Or should I let my Dealer handle that?

Are there any additional numbers after B112B? like :87 which is the BCM looses communications with the SASM.  Do, the wipers work when this happens, although perhaps if communication is restored wipers will work but not cruise as SM seems to indicate CC may remain inoperative (likely until a restart when the BCM checks if it can communicate with modules).  Bottom line is that one has to tear apart the steering wheel to get to the wiring to see where the problem is likely regardless of any 2 digit appended codes.  I can't find :07 in the manual.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Thanks for all your help again.

Just to give you a follow up, the used car dealer looked into it and could not find any hardware-issue. They did a 'complete reset' of the software (whatever that means) and since then it's working perfectly. There are also a bunch of things which were not working or somehow turned off before that software reset, which I did not know of ... for example when I press the lock button twice now there is an acoustic horn signal which was not there before. I also now can open and close the windows with the keys... who knows what else happend ?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lacienega,

hm... you got me. I just assumed that closing the windows would work in the same manner... but it does indeed not. Which is somehow crazy, it would be way more useful to close all windows from the outside than the opposite. Sorry about that, I only tested opening them ?