Trying to fix a dead Cmax... please help

untchabl

Bought a 2013 Cmax a couple weeks ago for cheap that will not start and has a ton of error codes. I bought a bluetooth OBDLink MX+ and ForScan after reading about it being a necessity to diagnose issues on these cars. This is my first Cmax and my first hybrid but I've worked on all my own vehicles for years.

The 12v battery is good, I've charged it and tested it and it's less than a year old. The hybrid battery gauge, that is on the dash next to the fuel gauge, is showing completely empty.

When I turn the key on and attempt to start the car, nothing happens. I get the Stop Safely and See Manual wrench warnings on the dash but nothing else. 

Here are a few of the codes that I'm seeing on ForScan.

- P0A92 

- P1A10 

- P1A16 

- P0B25 

- P0A7D 

- P1A0C 

- B10D7 

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I'm wanting to DIY this as much as possible.

Strange codes.  The B10D7 is related to the PATS (passive anti-theft system).  Don't know what strange things might happen when you try to start car (especially inserting a key that will turn in ignition) and get this code.   Do you have an SE model with a key start?   First set of codes below is for Hybrid SE which uses key start.  Second set is for C-Maxes with pushbutton start.  You have codes for internal combustion engine (ICE) failure to start and High Voltage Battery (HVB) is at 0% state of charge (which showed up as no charge in the HVB battery symbol). I think you first must make sure your key is programmed correctly.

B10D7:05 PATS Key: System Programming Failure   GO to Pinpoint Test B
B10D7:51 PATS Key: Not Programmed There is an unprogrammed PATS key. PROGRAM the PATS key.
REFER to: Key Programming Using Diagnostic Equipment (419-01B Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS), General Procedures).
B10D7:55 PATS Key: Not Configured The BCM Configurable Engine Immobilizer (CEI) was not configured after PMI . FOLLOW the diagnostic scan tool on-screen instructions after the PMI process to perform the Configurable Engine Immobilizer (CEI) Lock Configuration.
B10D7:81 PATS Key: Invalid Serial Data Received   GO to Pinpoint Test C
B10D7:87 PATS Key: Missing Message   GO to Pinpoint Test D
B10D7:94 PATS Key: Unexpected Operation   GO to Pinpoint Test C

B10D7:05 PATS Key: System Programming Failure   GO to Pinpoint Test D
B10D7:81 PATS Key: Invalid Serial Data Received   GO to Pinpoint Test E
B10D7:87 PATS Key: Missing Message   GO to Pinpoint Test F
Edited by plus 3 golfer

Also, you probably will want to get a service manual on e-bay.  Some are DVD or  you might be able to find one that is downloadable. The link is the one I bought probably 5 years ago for IIRC $12. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-C-Max-2013-2014-Factory-Workshop-Service-Repair-Manual-on-CD/303753209859?hash=item46b91a2803:g:d50AAOSwdnNdu4HJ

Plus 3 golfer,

Can you provide the manual sequence used to reset the age of a newly installed battery? I found a video on it but when I tried it on my 2013 Cmax Energi, there was no indication on the dash that told me it was reset. The battery light should have flashed 3 times according to the video. Thanks.

plus 3 golfer, 

It is an SE model with a normal key that you insert in the ignition. Key turns with no issues and dash powers up with no issues. The car has been sitting for at least a year before I bought it. 

I'll get a service manual on the way so that I can start doing some more diagnostic checks.

Do you have two keys and tried both? I don’t know what happens in a keyed ignition when “bad” key or a PATS transceiver is bad when trying to start car - for example dash may still light up when key is turned.  With PB start if “key” is not detected,  the dash does not light up when you push the PB to start. A message pops up saying “key not detected”.  

Did you clear codes with FORScan and try again and get the same codes each time? 

https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/ford-pats-antitheft-system/

I only have one key for the car. 

I have not cleared the codes with ForScan yet. I've only spent a few minutes looking at the car the other day before work when my bluetooth adapter came in.

Went ahead and ordered the service manual CD you recommended. 

Edited by untchabl

The short answer is you need FORScan for Windows extended license version to do PATS.  

However, since you don’t have 2 working keys and since the one key you have may not work,  I’m fairly certain you will have to access / login to Ford.  You can purchase a short term subscription at a reasonable price.  Call a locksmith as most should be able to help which might be cheaper than

There are several PATS PIDs in the BdyCM which you can monitor with FORScan and may indicate if issue with key.  Also, the left hand display shows how many admin keys and my keys are programmed.