Mileage in extreme cold

Adair

Ok, so I had to take my car in to the dealership this  morning to have the remote start installed. I left at 7:45 for the 10 mile drive. It was +1 degree outside. I could not beg, coax, tease or trick my C-Max into EV mode until the last mile when I turned the climate off. That wouldn't last long at +1. My mileage for the trip, with very conservative driving, heat, heated seats was 27.5. My lowest so far in any conditions.

Do you have your water temperature gauge displayed?  I would bet it barely approached the first bar the entire trip.  That has been my observation with cold temps.   This car works best when warm.  According to ptjones the optimal water temp needs to be between 202-215 degrees for best mileage.    

I typically get MPG in the high 20s to low 30s when it's single digits and I drive just a couple miles to work. I can usually get EV mode to turn on after a mile or so. If I have to stop and take off, it will turn the engine on for a while again before returning to EV mode just before it turns on EV+ near my office.

Chinto, no I don't have the water temp gauge displayed. I'm going back out this afternoon to p/u the car and will check that on my way home, altho it's quite a bit warmer now.......+13!! Thanks for the info.

C-MaxJaxon, this is the coldest it's been here this winter. With temps in the 20s on my way to work (20 miles) I can usually get into EV after a mile or so and complete about half the trip in EV mode. Today was extreme.

I should have mentioned that I keep the heat off and use the heated seats so the engine doesn't keep running the whole trip to get warm enough to warm the cabin the last few minutes. You could try watching the engine temp on My View and wait to turn the heat on when the engine has warmed up some, or you could turn the temp on the climate control down. I have had it set to 72, but after trying the tape covered middle grill mod yesterday, I had to turn it down to 68-69.

It's not just that the car is not going into EV mode when cold that has an effect on MPGs...

It was only 39F when I started the car this morning, but due to a layer of frost from last night, my AVG" MPG dropped from 40.3 to 39.7 just while idling and waiting for the front windshield to defrost (even after I scrapped all the I've off).. Of course, AVG was reset ~150 miles ago, but it was enlightening to see exactly how much gas is wasted just on idling.

I just completed a 43.6mi trip temps from 39-45deg.F,very hilly, 55mph, slight tail wind and 300ft drop in elevation and I got 53.6mpg, 28mi EV (64%) 3.9mi regen, .8gal and brake s. 99%. BTW that was with grill covers on and WT temps 195-205deg.

At 70deg. I should be getting 60mpg. Pretty good don't you think!