May be Ford should have used 15" wheels instead of 17" CMax wheels....read on....

Jus-A-CMax

Interesting article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

So I think I saw a couple of CMaxs out there with 16", according to the article your cars should be faster and more fuel efficient....hmmmmh.

Harping back to my own experience, my wife and I had the same Jaguar Vanden Plas. Hers was an 07 and mine was an 06. Her's had 18" wheels and mine had the 19" wheels. She always said that her car was faster off the block than mine and this is probably true now that I read this article. But my wheels looked way, way, way better though. Price for vanity I guess.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

• 2 weeks later...

This is something I struggled to try and understand. The 15" tires are much more fuel efficient but the handling is rather poor compared to 17s. The CMAX is simply too heavy and too geared for handling to suffer with 15s.

In my years of testing 15s and 17s on the Prius, there is always an immediate loss of 3-8mpg depending on tire and wheel choices.

I have found the 15" Energy Saver A/S to be the most fuel efficient tire in North America. That means you CMAX owners are going to lose even more mpg should you swap to a less efficient tire. :(

I am running 16" inch wheels with snow tires on my Cmax.  Even though the snows are "green" tires (low rolling resistance) I would think they are probably equivalent to the factory 17's.

Shaners, what are you getting now in your MPGs with these 16s? (abliet its pretty cold there if you've got on snow tires so the MPG would suck anyway).

I think you're pretty rare with this combo...actually, it was a reason why I posted that article here because I luv to see what the actual real world feedbacks are for owners of the CMaxs with smaller wheels.

Right now, I don't think I can sway down to 16s for FE reasons, I just like the look right now but luv to see how your 16s look on your Max?

Edited by Jus-A-CMax