December alt-fuel sales solid with strong Ford C-Max, Nissan Leaf demand

darrelld

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/01/07/december-2012-alt-fuel-vehicle-sales/

Among automakers, Ford showed the largest advances, more than tripling its December alt-fuel total from a year earlier to 8,124 vehicles and thus becoming the second-largest seller (behind Toyota) of hybrids and plug-ins in the US. The Ford C-Max Hybrid, which was introduced in September, continues to be the US automaker's largest alt-fuel seller, with 3,339 units sold last month. The Fusion Hybrid was close behind at 3,244 vehicles, or more than triple year-earlier numbers for that model. Ford's C-Max Energi Plug-in Hybrid sold 971 units, which was down almost 300 from November, while the Focus Electric sold a monthly-record 167 units.

I am surprised the FH is selling less than the CMax, I just thought on pure looks the FH would have been a much, much better seller...but I guess I a few people have drive the CMax and switched? Hmmmmh. Thanks for the article. The real interest would be at the end of this year when it can be seen how the CMax/FH does against the Prius juggernaut family.

In regards to the CMax Energi, I think Ford made a big mistake not have stocks of this vehicle. Here is Los Angeles one of the biggest markets, I know I could not test it and was given word no stock would be available until Feb so that killed it. 

I am surprised the FH is selling less than the CMax, I just thought on pure looks the FH would have been a much, much better seller...but I guess I a few people have drive the CMax and switched? Hmmmmh. Thanks for the article. The real interest would be at the end of this year when it can be seen how the CMax/FH does against the Prius juggernaut family.

In regards to the CMax Energi, I think Ford made a big mistake not have stocks of this vehicle. Here is Los Angeles one of the biggest markets, I know I could not test it and was given word no stock would be available until Feb so that killed it. 

I had the same problem trying to get up close and personal with the C-Max Energi, dealers had no idea when stock would be available. Ford promises wider availability in 2013 but with the 2000 on order from GE no one knows how they will prioritize deliveries.

I am surprised the FH is selling less than the CMax, I just thought on pure looks the FH would have been a much, much better seller...but I guess I a few people have drive the CMax and switched?

I originally went to the Ford dealership thinking I was going to buy a Fusion hybrid, and while I was there I would just check out this odd little C-Max thing for fun.  The salesman brought the C-Max out first, and the more he talked about it the more I liked it, especially the versatility (no more asking my smug SUV-driving friend if she could pick up a big box for me), the passenger room (now I can offer to take the girls in my car on a winery tour, for instance, instead of them always having to drive), and I still get better mpg than the HCH I used to have.  I took a look at the FH, and I love the exterior, but hated the interior.  It's "cockpit" style, very cramped.  I'm only 5'4" -- average height for a woman, btw -- but I found that I had to really stretch my right leg to get to the gas pedal even having the seat way up.  The C-Max is the first wagon/compact crossover whatever-ya-want-to-call-it I've ever owned, but so far I love it.