CMax Tailgate Warning

mtb9153

Hello everyone, I have some info to share and I just didn't know which forum fit best to post it.  So please excuse me for deciding this was the best place.

I wanted to share some insight regarding the automatic liftgate option.  I found the hard way that the tailgate will close regardless of where your head might be.

I was helping my wife load groceries and went up to the drivers seat for something.  As I retrurned to finish the loading process the wife had finished and used the auto closure

feature and I walked right into the lower left corner of the tailgate.  After saying a few colorful metaphors I could feel blood dripping down my face.  I was rushed

to the ER and after explaning the circumstances behind my injury and jokingly telling the ER doctor my wife hit me.  I got 5 stiches above my right eye and have a 1/2" scar to go with it.

Beware of the tailgate

This has happened to us with my Audi, also on a grocery store run. In our case we had just gotten home and were unloading. It went something like this:

Person #1 grabs bags out of the back and starts walking away. Person #2 grabs the remaining bags and presses the "close" button, but Person #1 didn't really walk away. Instead, they stopped and turned back toward the car. Despite Person #2 yelling something brilliant like "Look Out!!", Person #1 returns just in time to make contact with the lowering hatch, which is now right at head level. Fortunately there was no blood, but I do recall some cursing and a dirty look.

Lesson Learned: Always make sure everybody, including pets that like to suddenly leap into the car, are well clear of the hatch before you press that button.

Edited by mtberman

• 2 weeks later...