Small-crossover segment gets new entrant, makes me appreciate C-Max more

HotPotato

So GM has introduced its new subcompact crossover, the Buick Encore:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/healey/2013/01/19/test-drive-buick-encore/1566430/

Like the C-Max, it's a short-but-tall wagon with unexpected luxury features and a focus on fuel efficiency, and it stickers in the very same price range. Unlike the C-Max, it uses extra-small size and a small-displacement turbocharged gas engine to achieve fuel economy: it produces 138 hp, less than the C-Max's gas engine alone and 50 hp less than the C-Max's combined output. How well does it work? In their test, USA Today managed just 19.5 real-world MPG in the Encore.

The C-Max has more space, more power, and nearly double the real-world MPG for the same price. That sound you're hearing is me patting myself on the back for making the right choice...and slapping with a wet noodle those who claim a conventional powertrain could match our fuel economy in a small crossover.

Great find HotPotato. What struck me the most was the cockpit of the Buick, CMaxesque in layout with the Nav on top but what looks like a gazillion buttons in the middle to bake a cake and some soup...jus' sayin.

If they are going to "copy", they should have gone with the Tesla pad lcd layout - now that would have been a killer cockpit! 

Also, you know what, our Aston Martin like grills look a ton more aggressive and better but we are bias. Great find, thanks for the links!

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

The way they're able to offer the big 7" screen standard, is that it's not a touch screen...hence all the buttons. There's a case to be made that tactile buttons are safer than touch screens...but AFAIK, only when they are shaped so you can find and identify them by feel, like Mercedes seat buttons or the "soft keys" on a C-Max SE...

I will say, they did a great job styling the Buick inside and out. I can't imagine a more challenging design job than making a lifted Chevy Sonic look anything short of ridiculous...let alone making it look larger, tougher, and sophisticated and expensive.

Great find HotPotato. What struck me the most was the cockpit of the Buick, CMaxesque in layout with the Nav on top but what looks like a gazillion buttons in the middle to bake a cake and some soup...jus' sayin.

If they are going to "copy", they should have gone with the Tesla pad lcd layout - now that would have been a killer cockpit! 

Also, you know what, our Aston Martin like grills look a ton more aggressive and better but we are bias. Great find, thanks for the links!

That brings up the safety aspect to me though.  The Tesla has a lot going on (for my Phoenix friends there is a Tesla store in Scottsdale Fashion Square where you can see one up close and play with it) with the touch screen.  And last I heard it had no voice commands although they were coming.  But with that touch screen it is impossible to change anything w/o taking your eyes off the road for a significant amount of time I would say.  You can't even rest your hand on something to steady yourself like you can in the cmax.

For the cmax, I never use the touchscreen to adjust a/c, I just use the dedicated controls, which usually amounts to just changing the temp which i can do w/o looking away.  I can change volume, and seek on the radio via the steering wheel w/o looking away.  95% of everything i do is with voice commands and/or steering wheel controls.