Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Spare Tire Solution for C-Max Hybrid.

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   feiten

feiten

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationBig Pine Key, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMax SE

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

This ebay seller has 45 spares with wheels and they fit the C-Max---I purchased one, received it yesterday and put it on this morning with no problem.    http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

Did you purchase the one listed in your link?  The one for the Sable?  Please let me know. Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,724 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTN
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Did you purchase the one listed in your link?  The one for the Sable?  Please let me know. Thanks

These are likely from wrecked vehicles with age unknown. Use at own risk. From Michelin:

While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.

#43 ONLINE   JAZ

JAZ

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:32 AM

Yeah, I had a 9-yr old SUV purchased new and only had 54,000 miles on it, but a close inspection of one of the front tires had me shocked.  I doubt that baby would have gone another year just sitting in the driveway.

If you want more info on tire longevity:

http://www.edmunds.c...your-tires.html

#44 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

obob - where do you plan to place the spare tire in the C-Max?

I would almost consider a roof rack for the spare tire even with the drag on mpg.  My recent experience with a really bad flat tire did not leave a good feeling.

What about something like this

#45 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Due to an upcoming long, out of state family trip that will be out in the middle of nowhere (and spotty cell coverage), I got a spare from the ebay vendor selling them for $65 shipped.  Good condition.   Afterwards, it will remain in the garage as a daily backup.  I installed it on the front and took it on a test drive.  Yes, under braking it will pull to the side it's installed on due to the size differences.  I quickly got use to that and at one point found myself at 65mph!  Opps.   :drop:

null_zps8e5d0a87.jpg

• slampro likes this

#46 OFFLINE   DR61

DR61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini ALL4

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

I put a label on my temp. spare to install only on a rear position.  In case of a front flat, my jack can lift both wheels on one side, then a good wheel can be installed on the front position, and the spare on the rear position.

• JAZ and fotomoto like this

#47 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 525 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I put a label on my temp. spare to install only on a rear position.  In case of a front flat, my jack can lift both wheels on one side, then a good wheel can be installed on the front position, and the spare on the rear position.

Is your jack an ordinary scissor jack? Where was the jack point ?  Thanks.

My feeling on not putting my spare (which is smaller and pulls) on the front goes something like this: if I have front flat, and it looks fixable with my plug kit, I will try that first. If I can't fix it I will change it using the spare.  If I am not in a rush, or am not in a risky area that I want to get out of quickly, or I do not have a lot of driving to do before I can have it fixed I will just put it on the front.  Otherwise I will put it on the back and put the back tire on the front.

I think the label idea is good.  I will also mention on the label about the traction control off until I know that it OK to drive with it on.

• JAZ likes this

#48 OFFLINE   DR61

DR61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

The jack points are indicated by small triangles in the plastic lower molding, in front 6" behind the front wheel opening, and in the rear about 13" in front of the rear wheel opening.  The jack has a slot for the chassis seam at those points.  I'm using a scissor jack from my 2012 Mini which uses the same type of seam jack points.  You can buy a similar jack at Harbor Freight for less than $20.

#49 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 525 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

The jack points are indicated by small triangles in the plastic lower molding, in front 6" behind the front wheel opening, and in the rear about 13" in front of the rear wheel opening.  The jack has a slot for the chassis seam at those points.  I'm using a scissor jack from my 2012 Mini which uses the same type of seam jack points.  You can buy a similar jack at Harbor Freight for less than $20.

"my jack can lift both wheels on one side"  So are you saying that either of those jack points will lift both wheels up ?

#50 OFFLINE   GaryM

GaryM

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE Hybrid

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

I have not tried it on my C-Max yet, but on previous cars, namely my 1983 Celica autocross race car, I would put the jack at the balance point. In that car, it was just barely in front of half the wheel base. The C-Max is a bit more nose heavy, so I would guess about a foot in front of middle of the wheel base. To reduce stress on the car, I had a foot long 2x4 with a slot in it that I would place over the body seam and put a floor jack on that, it easily lifted both tires without hurting anything. 

I have also run mismatched tires on the same axle, both front and rear on cars with ABS and traction control and it has not been a problem. As for ABS, when you roll straight with no acceleration or deceleration, it sees the different speeds and uses that for the base. I tried it on ice and the ABS worked fine. I would assume the traction control does something similar. Worst case would be less accurate control when you do lose traction, but let's face it, if you were driving on a mini spare, you will be taking it easy anyways. The only cars that have an issue with different tire diameters for even low speed careful driving are mechanical limited slip systems. Any speed difference at all will cause the clutches to be constantly slipping and getting hot and even wearing, let alone the pull it will cause, even just coasting. I had an Eagle Talon AWD, it's "mini spare" looked like a frisbie. full diameter, but only 4 inches wide. 

The different diameter can cause a slight pull under braking, but if you are getting a strong pull, it is more likely an offset problem. The center of the tire is not the same distance from the center of the steering pivot compared to the tire on the other side. There is normally some offset, but since the two sides match, the torque induced in the steering is cancelled when the offsets match. even perfect diameter can cause a strong pull under braking if the offset is off even a half inch. But again, we are talking an emergency spare to get you to a tire shop. Drive a bit slower and carefully with more following distance while on the mini spare. That should be the rule any time and in any car when on a mismatched tire.

• JAZ and obob like this

#51 OFFLINE   DR61

DR61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Exactly, GaryM.  I'm also a long-time autocrosser and road racer.  Jacking up both wheels on the same side with one jack has never been a problem.  With a front weight-biased car you can usually do it from the front side jack point.  Just do not get any part of your body under the car if you are not using jack stands as a backup.

#52 OFFLINE   Sparky

Sparky

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAuburn, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi 300a - 1999 Suburban 6.5

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I bought a temporary spare and jack from the local wrecking yard.  $20 for both.  This tire has no permanent home in the car.  It could be in the back seat, the luggage area or in the garage.  After searching eBay and Amazon and not finding a suitable cover, I decided to cut down an old sleeping bag to 26" x 26".  I re-installed the zipper around 3 sides and added a carry strap.   

spare03.jpg

spare02.jpg

spare01.jpg

Edited by Sparky, 05 August 2013 - 05:45 PM.

• C-MaxSea, ScubaDadMiami, slampro and 1 other like this

#53 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Kudos Sparky, great job on the carrying case - thanks for sharing with great photos.  Good prices too.  Please share a bit more info on the spare tire.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle, 06 August 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   DR61

DR61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

I use an old dog bed zip-on cover for the temporary spare.

#55 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-MAX

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

That Emergency SpareTire and Jack Kit Storage Bag is a great solution.  You could sell a ton of them on Ebay.  I`ll buy the first one!

#56 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

Here's my solution for a spare tire cover:  http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1   $10 shipped!  I got the smallest one offered (21& 1/2 inches) and it fits like a glove. 

null_zpsdff31ac2.jpg

It's made to slip on/off with an elastic cord around the backside.

null_zpse4445f61.jpg

Here it is strapped down in place for trips.  The color is remarkable close to the stone interior too. (bonus score!)  

null_zps952dd077.jpg

• DR61, slampro and APezz like this

#57 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Now, what did you find to store the Jack Assembly and Lug Wrench to fit in?  Great idea for the Emergency Donut Spare Tire!

#58 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

Now, what did you find to store the Jack Assembly and Lug Wrench to fit in?  Great idea for the Emergency Donut Spare Tire!

I wrapped them up in a large shop towel and stored them in the rear hatch compartment.  The towel will come in handy for cleanup afterwards.

#59 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

I wrapped them up in a large shop towel and stored them in the rear hatch compartment.  The towel will come in handy for cleanup afterwards.

Think I`m going to just get that Spare Tire Cover that was linked to Amazon and just secure it with a ratchet latch strap in the rear storage area, period.  Going to skip the Jack KIt and Lug Wrench.  Figure, if I have the misfortune to need an Emergency Spare Tire Change due to a Flat or Sidewall failure, I`ll simply call Ford Roadside Service or AAA and have them use their equipment to mount the Emergency "Donut".  One less item to store and carry about.  While I await the Tow Truck, I`ll listen to Sirius/XM Radio until they arrive!  The toy air compressor and can of tire sealant goo is a poor substitute for a Emergency Spare Donut no less the old Full Size Spare.  Not only is it not full proof depending on the nature or location of the puncture but it also fouls and ruins the TPM Sensor as well that will need replacement which is (not) a covered Warranty item if deemed defective due to contamination of the Sealant goo!  Ford saves the cost of the Spare Tire and Jack Assembly, claims that the 40 lbs + - of extra weight is a deal breaker for Fuel Economy.  The Engineers could have figured a way of fitting it (under) the rear bumper like the Ford Explorer that had a Full Size Spare.

#60 OFFLINE   Phil1336

Phil1336

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Just picket up a brand new, never been used Emergency Spare Tire (Donut) off a Dealer in Miami that specializes in Spare Tire replacements for Vehicles that are now equipped with "Mobility Kits".  Toy air-compressors and Can of Tire Sealant Goo that fouls your Tire Pressure Indicators.  Paid $30!  Compared the Emergency Spare Tire Wheel & Tire which came  off a 2006 Taurus with that of a 2013 Ford Focus.  T135/70/D16 and using bolt measurement calipers showed identical Bolt Pattern measurement of 108 mm.  Could have purchased a brand new Ford matching Jack Tool Kit with Lug Wrench and Storage Cover for an additional $20.  I`ll leave that Flat Tire change to AAA or Ford Roadside Service assuming they have a proper Jack and Lug wrench.

Edited by Phil1336, 13 August 2013 - 03:02 PM.

• ScubaDadMiami likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·