Timing Belt Or Chain ?

lakeview

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at these forums for all your great info you have been giving. I am strongly considering getting the C-Max but have a question regarding the timing if it has a chain or a belt ? My car now is a 2009 Focus with 5 speed hitting at 91000 miles right now. It  is a good car and gas mileage on the Focus is excellent but time to change my vehicle. I did own a 2005 Civic Hybrid so somewhat familar with Hybrids. Thanks in advance for any input :)!!

I believe it is actually a chain drive, assuming the drawing you attached is a CMax engine - which I believe it is because of the cam phaser built into 6C5225, the intake cam drive sprocket.

Parts 6K297 and 6K255 are clearly guides, a characteristic of chain, not belt driven cams.  There is a total absence of idler pulleys, which are characteristic of belt drive.  Parts 6C251, 6C525, and 6306 are shown to be very narrow, characteristic of chains, not belts.  The drawing showing the chain is very indistinct, which no doubt caused the confusion.  It certainly doesn't look like what an artist would draw for a roller chain, but Ford has, in the past, used a "silent chain", which uses stamped metal links resembling little toothed racks that mesh with the sprocket.  An artist might draw that as shown.

Chain, see the sprockets and the guides. Actually, I investigated this before I bought as I didn't want another vehicle with a timing belt. Just go to fordparts.com and pull up the diagram and see that 6268 is the engine timing chain.

Agreed.  fordparts.com refers to part # 6268 a timing chain.

Chain, see the sprockets and the guides. Actually, I investigated this before I bought as I didn't want another vehicle with a timing belt. Just go to fordparts.com and pull up the diagram and see that 6268 is the engine timing chain.

Thanks everyone for the info. I agree with Bill-N that I also did not want a timing belt. One step closer to decision time ;) .