Park assist mishap, yes I am an idiot!

I have never used the park assist on my C-Max Hybrid, there are many things that the C-Max offers that I don't use on a daily basis, but the Park assist, since I live in a suburban area, had never been used.  I park in the garage at home, and at work, and when i go shopping or to the gym i always park head on, in a space.  But I went to a shopping center the other day and there was a great space right in front of the supermarket, curb parking.  I never got a demo of this when I got the car, the dealer had no clue it was even on the car.  so I tried it...

I pulled even with the car ahead of the space and hit the Park button.  The screen told me to pull  forward, I did.  I stopped and put the trans in Reverse, the car started backing up, quickly. it moved the wheel first to the right, then quickly to the left and I was moving into the space quite rapidly.  I was amazed!  it was astonishing, I sat in wonderment....unitl  BANG!  I had struck the car behind me.  HARD.

I was so consumed with watching the car "do it's thing" that I completly forgot to brake.  I thought that it might brake and then ask me to pull the car forward by putting it in drive.  It all happend so fast!  i had no time to react.  The image on the screen filled up with large SUV bumper.  I only had time to say "holy water!"  and the damage was done.  

And what a lot of damage it did..... i suspect that I will need a new bumper, a new tailgate, and some checks on the underpinnings of the car.  the SUV that I hit? nothing, not even a scratch.  The liscence plate holder did most of the damage and it was otherwise not disturbed.

post-173-0-07390700-1360955357_thumb.jpg

Oh geez what a damned shame!  We have park assist and I can totally understand how this could happen.  We didn't get a demo of park assist either when we bought the car.  I took a friend out for a ride in my new C-Max and asked her if she wanted a demo.  We found a tight spot on the street and used it.  We both had heart palpitations and went into fits of giggles while the steering wheel whirled and moved into the tight spot.  Luckily I did have my foot on the brake when we whipped into the parking spot. Maybe we need a sticky about the subject as I could have done the same as you easily.

My SA spent a good amount of time demoing every feature (although he couldn't sync my phone).  After he was done he indicated I would get a survey via email from Ford and he wanted me to be completely satisfied with the car before I left since his / dealer customer satisfaction performance rating was dependent on my responses.   One of the questions related to explaining / demonstrating all the features on the car to my satisfaction.

Maybe you should shoot Ford an email about not getting a demo on it. It just might reduce the likelihood of another owner not getting a demo on the feature and having a mishap.

Sorry to hear of your mishap R3.  We are driving a bit paranoid of a similar occurrance.  (Never had a new car before) 

We love the park assist - 4 to 8 Inches every time.  Yes we got a demo the very last minute of our third test drive.  Our first solo was in a fairly safe location and a good sized space;  and we had some scary chuckles - it accelerated a bit too much, and I did not brake enough.  It can be too fast.  

My tips:  read the manual, watch videos, get a demonstration, never let your foot away from the brake.  It is 'hands free', not foot free or cerebral free or eyes free.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

I had the park assist on my 2011 Explorer and it is quite freaky the first few times you use it.  I can completely understand how this happened and I am sure that you are not the only one.  The great part is that the Park Assist really does help get you in to tight spots quickly.  In our area, we NEVER need it.  When we used to travel to cities I wouldn't dare try and parallel park unless it was long enough for a bus until I found Park Assist.  After you get used to it, you will be able to whip into tight spots quickly, without damage :)  There were a couple of times that I parked the Explorer in such a tight spot that it was more nerve wracking getting out of the spot for me!

And for the video, the C-Max version is from the European model, but it might help a bit.  I guess the most important part is 0:26.  By the way, notice the HID headlights :drool:

I recommend practicing on a residential street with only one car parked.  It works fine, pull up next to the parked car and it will park you.  Obviously not needed if you are not parking between two cars, but it makes it easier to test the feature and you have the potential to do less damage when you practice.

With park assist, you should never have to take your foot off the brake fully, just go nice and slow :)

I don't use it much because its too slow. I parallel park many times a day, and the park assist is really slow - almost impossible to use on a busy street because while it is trying to find the spot someone will pull up right behind you and then you can't back up.

I found with the reverse camera it is incredibly easy to parallel park very quickly - especially with the turn lines - I never scratch my wheels on the curbs anymore.

You want tough to parallel park try a Camaro convertible. The hood is really really long and you can't see over it, the front fascia is really low and would be destroyed by a curb, the rear is really tall and hard to see over and the convertible top has MASSIVE blind spots.

My truck is really hard too. It has a camper on it, it's 23 feet long, has no turning radius, and I can only use the side mirrors.

I love parallel parking the C-Max. :)

An aftermarket reverse camera is on the list for the truck. :)

I have done park assist a few times now, and it was only the first couple of times that it was scary.  But Valkraider is correct in that it wouldn't work well in a high traffic area as the park assist guidance has you pulling way forward so you look like you are passing up the available space.  Thus traffic coming behind you doesn't know what you are doing and you can't back up because they are right behind you.  That aspect is a pain in the butt.

I have not attempted the park assist in heavy traffic yet, but I too could see the problem, although in todays driving, there is not much forgiveness regardless how far forward you pull. With a little extra forethought, it might not be such a big deal. I plan on driving slow with the turn indicator on well in advance of the parking spot; and if necessary, sticking my hand out the window or using the warning/flasher lights. All cars will have parking assist in a few years; it's fun, use it, enjoy it, - it is a hoot. Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

So very sorry!  The dealer gave me a good demo and took me parking (so to speak).  He emphasized that you have to control the car with the brake.  It will not stop on its own.

You are an "early adoptor" and you clearly took one for the team on this one.

It kind of reminds me of the story, many years ago, when Cruise Control first came out.  A guy was driving his motorhome. He set the control and then went to the back of the bus to make a sandwich....

UPDATE FROM THE COLLISION REPAIR CENTER.

A new bumper, and the light that is inside the liftgate, plus some trim pieces from the liftgate interior, paint and body work.

Final estimate $2600.  and that is not replacing the liftgate, just repairing the dent.

Yet to see the finished product, but I am hoping that the paint matches and the liftgate still aligns with the bumper the way it should.

Maybe I could start a "Parking Assist" support group?

R3d

Edited by R3dRyd3r

• 4 months later...

I have never used the park assist on my C-Max Hybrid, there are many things that the C-Max offers that I don't use on a daily basis, but the Park assist, since I live in a suburban area, had never been used.  I park in the garage at home, and at work, and when i go shopping or to the gym i always park head on, in a space.  But I went to a shopping center the other day and there was a great space right in front of the supermarket, curb parking.  I never got a demo of this when I got the car, the dealer had no clue it was even on the car.  so I tried it...

I pulled even with the car ahead of the space and hit the Park button.  The screen told me to pull  forward, I did.  I stopped and put the trans in Reverse, the car started backing up, quickly. it moved the wheel first to the right, then quickly to the left and I was moving into the space quite rapidly.  I was amazed!  it was astonishing, I sat in wonderment....unitl  BANG!  I had struck the car behind me.  HARD.

I was so consumed with watching the car "do it's thing" that I completly forgot to brake.  I thought that it might brake and then ask me to pull the car forward by putting it in drive.  It all happend so fast!  i had no time to react.  The image on the screen filled up with large SUV bumper.  I only had time to say "holy water!"  and the damage was done.  

And what a lot of damage it did..... i suspect that I will need a new bumper, a new tailgate, and some checks on the underpinnings of the car.  the SUV that I hit? nothing, not even a scratch.  The liscence plate holder did most of the damage and it was otherwise not disturbed.

That's a big part of the problem, not all dealerships/sales personnel offer to do a demo of Active Park Assist. To use the Active Park Assist, is something that you have to train yourself how to use properly.

The few times I've used it, I've almost forgotten myself what I'm doing, thankfully though with having the backup alarm installed I get a quick reminder. I also pay very close attention to the MFT/VAV Screen for directions when using Active Park Assist. 

• 1 month later...