Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Rattles in Front Suspension

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Her Diamond 2

Her Diamond 2

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-max

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

I've been chasing a clunk in the rear of the car as we'll. Sounds like the rear hatch is not closed properly. Brought it to the dealer and they claim it's the rear struts bottoming out but I'm not sure they hit hard enough get the rattle and clunk. It seems I get the noise on sharp hard bumps. It's really inconsistent. Has anyone else experience the rear struts bottoming out?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Smangerer

Smangerer

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 26 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Cmax NRG,

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:56 AM

I think I give up. I had the strut and strut plate replaced on the side that makes the sound as well as 3 other parts which I cant recall at the moment and its still there. This has been 4 trips now 2 of which have put me in a rental for a total of 9 days not including the 2 other days they had the car with out a rental. I really would like this to be fixed but I cant justify any more time for attempts to fix this annoying sound. It could be the deciding factor in weather or not I buy the car at lease end. Do I want to live with this? 

Edited by Smangerer, 18 April 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 247 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

I get a bottoming-out sensation and soft clunk from the front suspension on dips, rather like an older car with worn-out strut bushings...but had hypothesized that maybe the car just has a really soft or short-travel front suspension...

#24 OFFLINE   GEnfin1Hybride

GEnfin1Hybride

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • LocationRive Sud
  • Current Vehicle:cmax

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hi!  I'm glad to have found this forum.  I speak french and even if I don't understand 100% of all what was reported here, I would mention that I'm also experimenting curious noises just under my feets when turning the wheel of my cmax.  It seems to be worse when the weather is cold.  I visited the dealer this week and they confirmed have heared the noise too.  They verified on "Ford Oasis requests" and found a TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) about the problem (can't find it however...).  The technician wrote on by bill "VERIFIER DS OASIS VOR TSB 12/12/9 ET APPLIQUER REFAIT R/T OK Graisser amortisseur", which is in french as you see, but I'm not able to translate it, sorry... lol

So, the conclusion is that now it's better but I still hear the noise, weaker, but it's still there.

• BIG ROCCO likes this

#25 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 247 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

I get a bottoming-out sensation and soft clunk from the front suspension on dips, rather like an older car with worn-out strut bushings...but had hypothesized that maybe the car just has a really soft or short-travel front suspension...

The dealer said "the new ones drive the same," but I am not convinced. There is a sort of looseness, plus kind of a hollow thunk from the front over certain pavement cracks, that are just like how a 10-year-old VW or Audi with worn-out front strut bushings and/or struts drives. And I feel like the one I test drove originally had more precise steering than mine. I wonder if maybe a bushing/plate isn't torqued within spec? Or if I'm just a big geek either imagining things, or having expectations unsuited to a Ford or its mechanics?  Maybe I'll ask to take a new one out and drive the same route.

#26 OFFLINE   vmmvmmm

vmmvmmm

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 48 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationUtah
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

I have a similar issue that the dealer has not been able to figure out yet either.  It sounds like the rear suspension is crashing, like something is unhinged, clanking around when I hit bumps in the road.  It creaks sometimes pretty loudly when I go over speed bumps as well.  I've checked underneath the car myself and can't find anything obvious that looks out of place.  It really bothers me and makes me question the quality of the car.  Otherwise I love it, but this is really bothersome and annoying.

#27 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 707 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

Check this topic too.

#28 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

... And I feel like the one I test drove originally had more precise steering than mine. I wonder if maybe a bushing/plate isn't torqued within spec? Or if I'm just a big geek either imagining things, or having expectations unsuited to a Ford or its mechanics?  Maybe I'll ask to take a new one out and drive the same route.

I have a similar issue that the dealer has not been able to figure out yet either.  It sounds like the rear suspension is crashing, like something is unhinged, clanking around when I hit bumps in the road...

Hi folks,

Send me your information in a PM; I'll see what I can do to help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'm on the case! :)

Crystal

#29 OFFLINE   vmmvmmm

vmmvmmm

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hi folks,

Send me your information in a PM; I'll see what I can do to help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'm on the case! :)

Crystal

Thanks, Crystal! I sent you a message. It would be good to get some help, because it seems like the service dept is not very familiar with the C-Max.

#30 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

Thanks, Crystal! I sent you a message. It would be good to get some help, because it seems like the service dept is not very familiar with the C-Max.

I responded with your case information, vmmvmmm; let me know if I can do anything else to help! :)

Crystal

#31 OFFLINE   Smangerer

Smangerer

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Cmax NRG,

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I am happy to report we have finally solved my creaking issue!

It ended up being a poor pinch weld on the driver side wheel well area. The dealer finally got the right guy on the job. They reenforced the weld three times over and I haven't had that annoying creak since.

I'm so glad I kept at it. I finally have my new car!
  • djc likes this

#32 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

I am happy to report we have finally solved my creaking issue!

It ended up being a poor pinch weld on the driver side wheel well area. The dealer finally got the right guy on the job. They reenforced the weld three times over and I haven't had that annoying creak since.

I'm so glad I kept at it. I finally have my new car!

Fantastic news, Smangerer! I'm glad your dealership took great care of you and got this resolved. Thanks for sharing your outcome with us!

Crystal

#33 OFFLINE   vmmvmmm

vmmvmmm

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Good to hear you got it solved!  I haven't heard back from my regional service manager for days, so I'm not sure if she's out on vacation or just really busy.  I'm hoping someday she'll call me back and I can get my issues fixed, as they are getting worse now, which is disconcerting.

#34 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Good to hear you got it solved!  I haven't heard back from my regional service manager for days, so I'm not sure if she's out on vacation or just really busy.  I'm hoping someday she'll call me back and I can get my issues fixed, as they are getting worse now, which is disconcerting.

Hi vmmvmmm,

I reached out to your CSM and requested that she reach out to you. Let me know if you don't hear from her by Monday and I'll give her a nudge. :)

Crystal

#35 OFFLINE   vmmvmmm

vmmvmmm

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Will do, thanks!

#36 OFFLINE   vmmvmmm

vmmvmmm

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:13 AM

Got it back from the dealership today. They replaced the rear strut assembly and it finally sounds nice and quiet. No more squeaks, clunks, or crashes. Very nice.
  • djc likes this

#37 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

Got it back from the dealership today. They replaced the rear strut assembly and it finally sounds nice and quiet. No more squeaks, clunks, or crashes. Very nice.

Awesome news, vmmvmmm! Thanks for sharing your outcome with us. :)

Crystal

#38 OFFLINE   KeMor

KeMor

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationGA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

Sharing my experience here in hopes of helping others.

Excessive rattling noises in front end began within six months of purchase.  The rattle sounded as if something was bouncing in the front end when going over speed bumps and rough roads.  At it's worst, the sound was metallic as if a nut was loose and something heavy and metal was bouncing.  The sound got worse in hot, dry weather but almost disappeared when cold or wet.  The "ears" could not locate the problem but the Techs could hear it.

In the first trip to the shop, they took apart the front suspension, found no problems, put it back together and claimed the problem fixed.  In the second trip to the shop, they tried TSB 13-9-9, after I brought it to their attention, and again claimed the problem solved.  In the third trip to the shop, they kept the car for three weeks while working with Ford to identify the problem.  They replaced the front right strut to no effect.  Next they replaced the insulation in the front bumper.  (This was what they relayed to me verbally although only the strut fix is on the invoice.)  This has appeared to fix the problem.  At least the metallic noise appears to be gone.

While vehicle has been repaired, my confidence in it has not.

Good luck.

#39 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

I have definitely heard what I can only describe as a "quiet squeek" when I go over speed bumps at low speed, but I assumed it was normal.  Will try to determine if it is getting worse.

Thanks for the update.

#40 OFFLINE   FordServiceCA

FordServiceCA

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOakville, ON
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

I have definitely heard what I can only describe as a "quiet squeek" when I go over speed bumps at low speed, but I assumed it was normal.  Will try to determine if it is getting worse.

Thanks for the update.

Hi Adrian_L, 

If you decide to get that "squeek" looked at by the dealer, let me know; I'll be happy to lend a hand!

Thanks,

Mathieu

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·