Shattered Rear Passenger Window

While driving my C-MAX 75 mph on the interstate yesterday, my left rear passenger window shattered. Heard a loud pop and then the window shattered. There was no traffic to my left, so seems unlikely that something would have hit the window. But why else would it break? Has anyone heard of anything like this happening?

Sometimes tempered glass used in car windows just shatters for reasons that can't be determined. 

Tiny stone launched by a vehicle going the other direction? Kid with pellet gun? Dark matter?  Alien phasers?

I had the rear hatch of my '03 Pontiac Vibe shatter while parked on the driveway. 

One repair tip that may save you some money is that if you have a large "Comprehensive" deductible on your auto insurance, ask the glass company for a quote WITHOUT insurance.

I had $500 deductible. The insurance company's preferred glass company was going to take a week to do the job AND it was going to be $662, PLUS installation.

I found SafeLite online and indicated I was paying for it myself, and they did it the next day at my home for $330.

Here's the insurance part of my tale...

So first, I called my insurance company claims service (because they're a small Indiana insurer and don't truly run a 24x7 worldwide in-house claims department, but use a 3rd party outside of weekday business hours) who transferred my call to 'G******* Glass Service'. 'G*******' was not open at 8 this morning, so the claims service left a callback message with 'G*******'.

When 'G*******' returned my call 2.5 hours later, they said my comprehensive deductible was $500 (yeah, I've saved several thousand in premiums over the 20 years I've been with that insurer, more than enough to pay for this claim), and that just the back glass, before installation, would cost $662. I quoted the 'roughly' $300 figure mentioned in this thread for NEW glass. 
They gave me a case number, and my choice among nearby glass installers who would "call Monday morning after 9 a.m. to arrange for an installation appointment."

Then, I looked online and got an instant quote and a confirmed appointment with Safelite.com (who I've used before for a windshield) with a lifetime warranty for less than $330 installed, tomorrow at my home.

Since everything under $500 is coming out of my pocket anyway, why should I even bother going through my insurance company for the 'privilege' of paying $170 more?? Of course, I cancelled with 'G*******' immediately.

Tomorrow, I'm going to let the Claims V.P. (who I know personally) at my insurance company and my local insurance agent know about this scam.

The only logical explanation for the cost difference I can come up with is that G******* is giving the referring claims service and/or my insurer a percentage kickback on the total bill.

The full thread including my 'shattering' experience (as well as several others with a similar unexplained shattering) in this thread from www.GenVibe.com, a Pontiac Vibe forum, is here:

http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34222&hilit=+safelite#p382658

Edited by kostby

Hey maybe it was a space rock?  Did anybody see that video on YouTube of the guy skydiving and suddenly he narrowly is missed by a rock which whizzes by in front of him.  He was filming from hundreds of feet in the air as he free fell with a camera at the time a you can clearly see the rock going by after he slowed it down in a video editor.  We need to start watching out for the debris falling from the sky it seems?

A few years ago, at night. Friday night football gams over I passed a school bus.

Seconds later BOOM right rear.

I found a marble when I was cleaning out the glass.

Friday night, school buss, busted window....hhmmmm NOW I remember when I was in high school   :judge: