Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2014/ 2015 c-max questions

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   kostby

kostby

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 567 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SE

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

Here's the 'Deal of the Century' on a new Tuxedo Black 2014 C-MAX Energi at a dealer near Madison Wisconsin: $125.

http://kayseronline....k-Car/29976507/

In case they take it down, here's the screenshot of the price on 06/22/2014 at 9:19 pm:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 9.19.19 PM.png   23.81KB   1 downloads

Of course I'm sure there's a disclaimer somewhere about 'not responsible for errors'

UPDATE: I checked the VIN# for a Monroney sticker. It is an actual, unsold vehicle, because it has the June 13th, 2014 updated EPA numbers.

Edited by kostby, 22 June 2014 - 08:35 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   fordfan82

fordfan82

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMichigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Escape

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:34 AM

Now if we were to lease a c-max and fall in love with driving it and decided to buy it at the end of the lease, can we buy an extended warranty for it?

#43 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,516 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

Now if we were to lease a c-max and fall in love with driving it and decided to buy it at the end of the lease, can we buy an extended warranty for it?

If your warranty hasn't run out. :)

Paul

#44 OFFLINE   shinytop

shinytop

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 163 posts
  • LocationPensacola
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:ShinyGray

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

The price goes up after 12000 miles.  You can buy an ESP even if you are a leaser.

#45 OFFLINE   fordfan82

fordfan82

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:36 AM

Some have mentioned they hate the wide turning radius on the C-max. What are they referring to and is it really that bad?

#46 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,934 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:44 AM

Some have mentioned they hate the wide turning radius on the C-max. What are they referring to and is it really that bad?

IMO, yes.  I don't recall any of my recent car that had such a wide turning circle of 41 feet (per Consumer Reports).  When I pull into tighter parking spaces, many times I have to straighten up as I start the turn way to late and don't swing out wide enough when pulling in.  My Nissan has a turning circle of 39 feet. My 2009 Jetta TDI had a 36 foot turning circle.  The extra 2-5 feet makes quite a difference.  Also, for comparison the Prius V has a turning circle of 39 feet.

When Edmunds tested the car they said:  "Although the C-Max's steering feels normal and not artificially electric as in some hybrids, the car feels like it has an exceptionally wide turning radius. We find ourselves doing multipoint turns just to get into the Starbucks drive-thru. When we look up the actual turning circle reported by Ford, we're genuinely surprised to see it's just 35.8 feet, a typical number for a car this size."  I don't know how Ford measured this turning circle but it is no way the same as was my Jetta TDI and not even close to my Nissan.  

To be clear, ConsumerReports turning circle is " the bumper clearance needed to make a U-turn" which is the important number when one is pulling into parking spaces and making U-turns.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 25 June 2014 - 12:26 PM.

• obob likes this

#47 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,516 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

It isn't that big of a problem for me, you get use to it and make adjustments in the way you park. Now I really don't notice it anymore. I think the real problem is if you drive more than one car then you notice the difference. IMO :)

Paul

• obob likes this

#48 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,401 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

No FWD cars have a reasonable turning circle in my experience, but then, I never drove a Mini. I expect CV joints only work reliably over a modest range of angles, as all my RWD cars are positively nimble compared with any front-drivers; only 32.5' for a Volvo 940, despite a 109" wheelbase.

But then, it was 190.5" long, nearly 1.5' more than the C-Max. Odd that CU would prefer the bumper clearance measurement over curb-curb... an urban approach? The short F/R overhang (short body, long wheelbase) making bumper clearance distance deceptively short compared with the size of the circle the tires follow. Plus, if you can't see the bumpers, it's no advantage, and I usually miss by 6" or more! (There are times I want to close the gap, as when parking in a short parking space.)

HAve fun,

Frank

• obob likes this

#49 OFFLINE   kostby

kostby

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 567 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SE

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

It's not a huge deal for me because I park our car, at most, three or four times a day, usually in angle spaces or in our garage.

If you park your car dozens of times every day (package delivery person, estimator, appraiser, or sales rep are some occupations that come to mind) in '90-degree' spaces, such as small urban parking lots, high-rise parking garages, some malls, or parallel parking, by all means test-drive a C-MAX and park it several times in each scenario before you decide.

The published turning radius of the 2013 C-MAX is 19.2 feet, so the curb-to-curb turning circle would be about 38.4 feet. 

I don't know where Edmunds.com got 35.8 feet reported here - maybe a dyslexic copy-editor?

In comparison, a current Chevy Suburban turning circle is 43 feet.

We own a 1996 Taurus, and its' turning radius is virtually identical to the C-MAX, at ~38 feet, so the C-MAX doesn't bother me at all.

The turning circle of other car I usually drive, a 2003 Pontiac Vibe is about 35.5 feet, about 2 and a half feet tighter.

I can 'feel' the difference between the Vibe and the C-MAX only when I'm trying to get into an especially tight 90-degree parking space in a mall or downtown parking garage. In those situations, with the steering wheel at full lock, I wish the car could turn about 1 foot tighter than it actually does. So I back up a bit and turn in again.

#50 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

I just went out an approximated the curb-to-curb of the C-Max at 38+ feet. So, 38.4 feet appears correct.  But here's the issue: the front end of the C-Max extends well beyond the outer edge of the tire when completing the 180 * turn - I'd estimate over 2 feet.  In addition, it appears that the outer edge of the C-Max tire is inside its body side line which adds a several inches to the start of the turn should there be an immovable obstruction on the outside of the contemplated turn.   I also measured my Nissan Rogue curb-to-curb at about 36+ feet. The front end sticks out about a foot+ when completing the turn and the outer edge of the tires appears even with the side body panels.   

So, the difference between my C-Max and Rogue is about 20 inches curb-to-curb (as measured on the ground).  This in itself is a big difference.  But add to that the additional "overhang" of the C-Max and it easy to see why making a U-turn with cars parked on both sides of the street or making right turns into tight 90* parking spaces can be problematic.  I've driven / owned other larger cars with 38+ foot curb-to-curb turning circles but don't remember any that seemed as problematic in such simple things as following the curbs of drive-thrus and not hitting the metal / concrete posts. :) 

Bottom line:  the 41 foot turning circle can be a minor annoyance especially if one forgets what car they are driving. :)  

• obob likes this

#51 OFFLINE   fordfan82

fordfan82

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Does it have a better turning radius than a mini van? My wife had a rental mini van and she had a tough time getting into parking spaces with it.

#52 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

I rented a Dodge Grand Caravan last summer.  Specs say 19.6' turning radius (39.2' turning diameter) and CR says turning circle is 42 feet.  Other than being larger than the C-Max, I don't recall any turning / parking issues with the Caravan that I didn't expect.  Obviously because the Caravan is larger than the C-Max, the Caravan will be more problematic than the C-Max when fitting it in a tight space.  

I believe because of the size of the C-Max, I expect it to have a smaller turning circle than it actually does.  But once you get use to its larger turning circle, the C-Max does fits nicely in smaller parking spaces usually found in parking garages and is much easier to park in a tight 90* space than the minivan.  

I also forgot to mention that in backing out of  90* parking spaces, many times I do multipoint turns as again the turning circle (41') is rather large whereas my Rogue makes it without multipoint turns.

#53 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energialso

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

I..............................

I also forgot to mention that in backing out of  90* parking spaces, many times I do multipoint turns as again the turning circle (41') is rather large whereas my Rogue makes it without multipoint turns.

Plus 3,

I would very much like to read your personal views on comparison between the Rougue to the C-max - other than mpg.  That is, the comparative general suitability of the two cars; space, comfort, handling, ride, pickup, braking,  etc.

Edited by Smiling Jack, 25 June 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#54 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

My Rogue is a 2008 AWD SL (virtually every option available is on it) that I bought used in 2011 for its higher ground clearance for travel on unpaved forest roads and desert roads in AZ  to primarily get to off-road hiking destinations. So, the longest trip in it has been maybe 300 miles round trip.  I've put 12k miles on it in about 3 years of ownership. 

The immediate difference I notice between the Rogue and C-Max when driving is noise level (although the Rogue is rated as a quiet car by CR).  One can hear the CVT hum and significant road noise (quieter tires would probably help) at higher rpm and speeds in the Rogue.  So, I would not want to use the Rogue for long trips.  The two are very close on comfort for me with higher seating positions. The Rogue has rattles and squeaks when driving over rougher roads whereas I have none in the C-Max.  I don't notice much difference in acceleration, braking, or normal handling.  Both are acceptable but not world class.  

The Rogue wins on space (obviously) although I was able to just squeeze a new unboxed LG front load washer in my C-Max (1/2" headroom clearance).  With the rear seats down and the roof rack on the Rogue, I've fit a 42x60" glass table top and 4 metal chairs inside the Rogue with the metal decorative base (48x33x29) on the roof.  Although I haven't ridden in the rear of either car, people (golfers) say the Rogue is very comfortable. Also, I think the C-Max would have a hard time fitting 4 golf bags in its hatch area (not nearly as wide as the Rogue) without removing the longer clubs from the bags.

I have loaded down both vehicles at least once. We went geode gathering with the Rogue and had 4 people plus maybe 500 pounds of geodes and equipment on the 125 mile trip home.  The Rogue handled and performed well at 75 mph.  On a trip home from Home Depot with the C-Max loaded with about 500 pounds of stuff plus 2 people, the C-Max seemed a little less sure than the Rogue with more body roll on quick direction changes.

In summary, disregarding the noise level (and poorer FE of the Rogue), I prefer "driving" the Rogue.  But noise level (and FE) are key considerations for me, so I would buy the C-Max over the Rogue as my main vehicle. Of course, this comparison is for a 2008 Rogue.  The 2014MY is the second generation Rogue and is likely different than 2008MY.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#55 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energialso

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

My Rogue is a 2008 AWD SL (virtually every option available is on it) that I bought used in 2011 for its higher ground clearance for travel on unpaved forest roads and desert roads in AZ  to primarily get to off-road hiking destinations. So, the longest trip in it has been maybe 300 miles round trip.  I've put 12k miles on it in about 3 years of ownership. 

The immediate difference I notice between the Rogue and C-Max when driving is noise level (although the Rogue is rated as a quiet car by CR).  One can hear the CVT hum and significant road noise (quieter tires would probably help) at higher rpm and speeds in the Rogue.  So, I would not want to use the Rogue for long trips.  The two are very close on comfort for me with higher seating positions. The Rogue has rattles and squeaks when driving over rougher roads whereas I have none in the C-Max.  I don't notice much difference in acceleration, braking, or normal handling.  Both are acceptable but not world class.  

The Rogue wins on space (obviously) although I was able to just squeeze a new unboxed LG front load washer in my C-Max (1/2" headroom clearance).  With the rear seats down and the roof rack on the Rogue, I've fit a 42x60" glass table top and 4 metal chairs inside the Rogue with the metal decorative base (48x33x29) on the roof.  Although I haven't ridden in the rear of either car, people (golfers) say the Rogue is very comfortable. Also, I think the C-Max would have a hard time fitting 4 golf bags in its hatch area (not nearly as wide as the Rogue) without removing the longer clubs from the bags.

I have loaded down both vehicles at least once. We went geode gathering with the Rogue and had 4 people plus maybe 500 pounds of geodes and equipment on the 125 mile trip home.  The Rogue handled and performed well at 75 mph.  On a trip home from Home Depot with the C-Max loaded with about 500 pounds of stuff plus 2 people, the C-Max seemed a little less sure than the Rogue with more body roll on quick direction changes.

In summary, disregarding the noise level (and poorer FE of the Rogue), I prefer "driving" the Rogue.  But noise level (and FE) are key considerations for me, so I would buy the C-Max over the Rogue as my main vehicle. Of course, this comparison is for a 2008 Rogue.  The 2014MY is the second generation Rogue and is likely different than 2008MY.

Thanks, Plus 3.

Excellent and comprehensive summary.  To my eye, from the outside, the new Rogue sems a little smaller than the old.  Of course, the new model Escape and C-max cars are a bit smaller than the older Escape and Escape Hybrid cars that they replaced.  The new Explorer looks smaller as well.   Most car models seem to be shrinking.  Global warming effect?

#56 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,371 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

Nooooooooo!!!! they are doing away with our fav #1 exterior color choice of Sterling Grey!!!

we dont want silver

and that other one is just a lighter black? whats up with that?

how could they kill the MOST popular color they had??????

idiots

Now what do we do?

looks like the CMax is no more for us.... :(

Link to 2015 Ford Fleet buyer's Preview, showing the new 2015 C-MAX colors (page 23).

http://www.fleet.for...iewGuide_lr.pdf

Tectonic Silver Metallic seems to be a great match to the Stone interior color.

And somehow I missed this April 1st announcement of a special model just for BBQ enthusiasts…  ;)

http://blog.consumer...gsford-edition/

#57 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,371 posts
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:34 AM

YOU have a say in this too You are married and are supposed to share everything and YOUR opinion matters just as much as hers.

Get the CMax

stick to your guns

better to not regret it later with a bad back/neck

nothing worse than being stuck in traffic in a car that is uncomfortable!
if you switch cars often then your vote counts

offer to pay for the difference out of your share of money so she cant complain

It's a fantastic deal and They don't have a deal like that for the C-max and the most I've seen on an electric one is a 6,000 rebate. My wife and I drive each other's cars a lot and although she can fit into a focus, I have an issue with the headroom. I'd much rather get a C-max Hybrid.

#58 OFFLINE   fordfan82

fordfan82

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:28 AM

As much as We both like the blue candy color is it really worth the extra 395 for it? We don't want black or oxford white. It is between the Grey, Ruby Red or Candy Blue.

#59 OFFLINE   shinytop

shinytop

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 163 posts
  • LocationPensacola
  • Current Vehicle:ShinyGray

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

My choice is the Gray.  If you don't get it now it may not be available!

#60 OFFLINE   robfixit

robfixit

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo
  • Current Vehicle:CMax SEL

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

I love my Ruby Red. My wife never liked the look of the CMax. When I finally convinced her to let me buy one (after I let her by her used Mini), she only saw the red between cars in the lot. When they drove it out to give it to us, she commented that it did not look as bad in red.  The red gives it a sport look.... and it is very easy to spot in a parking lot.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·