Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How do I maximize Highway MPG?

Highway MPG

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 2,979 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

Just to be clear FORD's placard says 38psi front and back, Michelin says 51psi MAX cold.  I have been running 50psi for 80k mi. , first set lasted 64K and I'm getting great gas mileage.  I don't see a down side to this. :)

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   Taz

Taz

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 38 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMPLS and LA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Avalon Hybrid

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

Under inflation is relative. Quite often car manufacturers choose a PSI level that is a compromise, like almost all other aspects of the car. Most often on a "normal" car, they bias it toward the lower end of the spectrum for better ride quality but not so low as to maybe have a significant hit on mpg.

Higher PSI does reduce the risk of hydroplaning. I experienced it very severely already in the car at stock tire pressures. I am currently at 48 psi  and the car has been driving great. Best mileage so far and tire wear is very good. Ride quality didn't suffer as much as i thought it might.

The car is a bit more nimble too which is a nice plus when trying to conserve momentum through turns. Only on a fairly rare occasion am I reminded that the pressure is higher than stock.

• ptjones likes this

#63 OFFLINE   SPL Tech

SPL Tech

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationhome
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:c-max 2013 SL

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:08 AM

Higher PSI does reduce the risk of hydroplaning. I

Maybe, but it also increases the risk of flying off the road in every other possible senario. You need tire contact pach area for grip in snow, wet conditions, dirt, mud, and even dry pavement. If you increase the PSI, you lose grip in all conditions except driving through standing water in a turn.

Edited by SPL Tech, 14 September 2015 - 04:09 AM.

#64 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,293 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

I have to disagree in the most strenuous terms. This is bunk. Back it up with some real data or delete it.

Frank

• ptjones and Jus-A-CMax like this

#65 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

I agree with Frank, Please supply some facts to backup your claims or Delete your Post.  There is too much misinformation out there and we don't want to get Members confused. ;)

Paul

#66 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:02 AM

I have been noticing that my HWY FE has gone up this year especially this last month. My overall average this this year seems to be 2 mpg better than last year and it looks like I'm averaging around 54 mpg HWY.  The only difference I know of is using 0-20W Mobil 1 and K&N oil filter which I can't see them making much of a difference. My tires are down to 5/32" which might make a slight improvement. :headscratch:  :detective: ;)   I haven't changed my FE driving habits. :shift: 

Paul 

• C-MaxSea likes this

#67 OFFLINE   BIG ROCCO

BIG ROCCO

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 235 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPHOENIX, AZ
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

I have been noticing that my HWY FE has gone up this year especially this last month. My overall average this this year seems to be 2 mpg better than last year and it looks like I'm averaging around 54 mpg HWY.  The only difference I know of is using 0-20W Mobil 1 and K&N oil filter which I can't see them making much of a difference. My tires are down to 5/32" which might make a slight improvement. :headscratch:  :detective: ;)   I haven't changed my FE driving habits. :shift:

Paul 

The tread depth might have more of an effect than you think...???

http://www.tirerack.....jsp?techid=177

At the bottom it says:

Conclusion

While many of these individual differences may seem insignificant, it is easy to understand that when they are added together, the new tires may appear to reduce vehicle fuel economy. It also means that a Toyota Prius appearing to get 50.0 mpg just before replacing its worn-out tires with new tires of the same brand, type and size, might be reduced to registering just 47.25 mpg afterwards, even if all of the driving conditions were identical.

• ptjones, C-MaxSea and Smiling Jack like this

#68 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

The tread depth might have more of an effect than you think...???

http://www.tirerack.....jsp?techid=177

At the bottom it says:

Conclusion

While many of these individual differences may seem insignificant, it is easy to understand that when they are added together, the new tires may appear to reduce vehicle fuel economy. It also means that a Toyota Prius appearing to get 50.0 mpg just before replacing its worn-out tires with new tires of the same brand, type and size, might be reduced to registering just 47.25 mpg afterwards, even if all of the driving conditions were identical.

Interesting. :)  so much for the 47/47/47 mpg, I've blown that out of the water. :yahoo:

Paul

#69 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,293 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

The tread depth might have more of an effect than you think

+1

Look at LRR tire specs, and many have less tread depth than similar tires from the same maker. Our OEM's are 9.5/32, not 10/32 or more. Save a little here, a little there....

HAve fun,

Frankl

#70 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

I have been thinking about why my FE has gone up 2mpg on the HWY and the only thing that is different is I added the NOS Octane Booster racing formula and it claims to clean injectors. A year and a half ago I used Chevron Techtron injector cleaner so I guess it's been 50K mi. approx. since I've cleaned the injectors.  Strangely enough my City FE hasn't improved noticeably. ;)  

PS: Just checked and Winter Blend gas get less MPG's than Summer. :drop:

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 13 November 2015 - 05:37 PM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·