Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Remote Start Stopping Prematurely

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 428 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

Now that the temperature is rising I've started using remote start again to pre-cool the car. Several times it shut off after opening a front door. This is not how I recall it working last year, but may have forgotten. I find nothing in the manual on this behavior.

So, should it keep running for the set minutes regardless of opening doors and entering the car, or is there something we're doing that is triggering the shut-down? I have not pressed the brake pedal or pushed the on/off button when this happens.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 01 April 2015 - 11:23 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:29 PM

I think you might be better asking this on the Energi forum.  Very few of the Hybrids have the remote start.

Edited by Adrian_L, 01 April 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 428 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

You know, in doing a search I saw that and then ignored it! Good idea.

#4 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:27 AM

I have the remote start on my Hybrid version, though I haven't used it in a very long time. (I just use the fob to open the windows as I approach, and then I let the outside air blow through as I start my trip.) From what I recall, the vehicle does not shut down when you open the door to enter.

#5 OFFLINE   Bugblndr

Bugblndr

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 98 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

Lots of the hybrids have the remote start, almost all of the SEL's on dealer lots around here have them and so does mine.

The car should keep running when the door is opened.  I'm not sure if there is an option setting that controls this or not, but by default it should not turn off.  My Toyota Highlander Hybrid would turn off when I opened the doors and I could never resolve it.  That was very annoying!

#6 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

Lots of the hybrids have the remote start, almost all of the SEL's on dealer lots around here have them and so does mine.

I don't think that is true.  Frankly if I could take it off my car and sell it I would.   What next?  A button on your TV remote to save you the trouble of opening the fridge?

Edited by Adrian_L, 02 April 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Bugblndr

Bugblndr

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 98 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

I don't think that is true.  Frankly if I could take it off my car and sell it I would.   What next?  A button on your TV remote to save you the trouble of opening the fridge?

February was the coldest month in recorded history here averaging -12.6 degrees C.  Having to park outside, a remote starter makes a huge difference in my quality of life.  My last 5 cars have had them.  The only car in our household without one never gets driven in winter months.

If I could get a TV Remote to bring me a cold beer, I'd get one of those too!   :drool:

Edited by Bugblndr, 02 April 2015 - 01:01 PM.

• hybridbear likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

Ok.  That's damned cold (and I lived in Calgary for 8 years)  I usually rely on my seat heaters ("2" is roasting) but it rarely goes below freezing around the west coast.

I did have a portable electric heater under the passenger seat in my old VW Bus---plugged it in with a timer to go off an hour before departure.  Fantastic.    Too bad the Hybrid cabin can't be preheated like the Energi (i.e. without using gas).

#9 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 428 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

Okay, I broke down and went out and did a test. Apparently having the Remote Start A/C setting on "Auto" can cause that to shutdown even though the remote start feature is still activated. Having it on "Last Setting" will have it start and continue to run like it was when shut down. We never use Auto so have not had its settings at what would keep the A/C running after starting for a few minutes - apparently.

I will never own another car without Remote Start. Love it when its 110F and the car has been baking in the sun for an hour at Costco.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 02 April 2015 - 01:49 PM.

• hybridbear and Bugblndr like this

#10 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

Ok.  That's damned cold (and I lived in Calgary for 8 years)  I usually rely on my seat heaters ("2" is roasting) but it rarely goes below freezing around the west coast.

I did have a portable electric heater under the passenger seat in my old VW Bus---plugged it in with a timer to go off an hour before departure.  Fantastic.    Too bad the Hybrid cabin can't be preheated like the Energi (i.e. without using gas).

That reminds me of an old VW Type II I had. It could be preheated based on a clock setting. Of course, the heater burned gasoline to provide heat. I never used that option, because by the time I bought the car the gasoline part of the heater was broken. I used the heat exchangers off the air cooled engine.

#11 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 494 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

Okay, I broke down and went out and did a test. Apparently having the Remote Start A/C setting on "Auto" can cause that to shutdown even though the remote start feature is still activated. Having it on "Last Setting" will have it start and continue to run like it was when shut down. We never use Auto so have not had its settings at what would keep the A/C running after starting for a few minutes - apparently.

I will never own another car without Remote Start. Love it when its 110F and the car has been baking in the sun for an hour at Costco.

We've experienced this periodically on our Focus Electric. In the winter we usually have it set to "Last Setting" and then we set the HVAC to 74+ and Auto before turning off the car. In the summer we usually leave the remote start setting to "Auto" since we rarely run the A/C while driving. Right now the temps are mild where we don't need heat or A/C so we likely won't be using remote start much in the next few weeks.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·