Maxus got a flat today

mtb9153

With a little more than 41,000 miles on the factory tires I had to get a flat fixed.  Came out in the garage and noticed Maxus was leaning a bit on the drivers side.  Turns the out the left rear was completely flat.  This blew me away since only a week ago my wifes car also had a left rear flat.  So did business with Wheel Works twice in a week.  My wifes car had a roofing nail in the tread, but Maxus had a broken off 3/8" drill bit the tread.  Crazy or what?  But for Maxus they didn't charge me anything so that was cool.  Maybe they knew I bought a set of new tires for the´wifes car? :hi5:

Pep Boys has fixed flats for me for nothing as well -- since it takes any car repair place literally seconds to do (I've watched -- they can fix a flat faster than I can blow my nose :>) most don't charge since it's good will (and if you *really* need a major repair then they have you <g>).

As a matter of fact, in a half century of car ownership (and the corresponding amount of flats that go with that) I can't recall ever paying for a flat fix that didn't require a new tire (I assume there are *some* places that charge, but they wouldn't last long in business if they did).

Pep Boys has fixed flats for me for nothing as well -- since it takes any car repair place literally seconds to do (I've watched -- they can fix a flat faster than I can blow my nose :>) most don't charge since it's good will (and if you *really* need a major repair then they have you <g>).

As a matter of fact, in a half century of car ownership (and the corresponding amount of flats that go with that) I can't recall ever paying for a flat fix that didn't require a new tire (I assume there are *some* places that charge, but they wouldn't last long in business if they did).

Interesting.  On a recent Sunday I helped someone who didn't know their way around town (Chapel Hill NC) find a place that was open to get a flat fixed.  I called a nearby Pep Boys to check if they were open and they told me they charged $20 to fix a flat.

Edited by DaveofDurham

Hmmm, that IS interesting.

I wonder if it has to do with your relationship to the place itself.  The Pep Boys that did my flat knew me (well, at least knew I was a regular customer, since I have a Pep Boys card and a record of work there, like a battery replacement and oil change... this was for my Durango, not the C-Max).  I just went in and did not make any assumptions (although if they had charged me $20 I *might* have been a little upset, as that's pretty high priced for what costs them, even with labor, not more than $1).

I used to live in a small town in Nevada (although it WAS the state capital) and the tire place there, called "Big-O" (which was at the very least a statewide chain and may have been all through the west) advertised fixing flats for free, so that was where we always had it done for many decades.  But I've also gotten flats fixed for free in California, and even Vegas, at tire only places.

The other factor, of course, is what the damage actually is.  For a nail or other small repair where you can see the object, easily pull it out and just stick the plug in -- as I said, I watched and it takes literally seconds to do -- it would be hard to justify even a $5 charge.  But if you just called and said "How much do you charge for fixing a flat?" they may well have a base price like $20 because they might have to take the tire off, put it in water, or do other repairs.  At the very least I'd take whatever vehicle it is into a shop you do business with and have them look at it and ASK them there what they would charge (and then go elsewhere if they charge anything -- and let them know you won't be coming back to do any more business with them).