Modifying Curt Hitch from 1.25" to 2"-Compared to Ecohitch 2"

I needed a heavy duty 2" hitch for a few reasons.  1st I have ALS and will be using a heavy power wheelchair in the near future. So I need to mount it on a lift on the back of my Cmax. Combined weight is about 350 lbs. 2nd I have a great 2" bike rack that doubles as a hitch hauler.  My choices were a 350 lb 1.25" Curt and the 150 lb 2" Ecohitch. I probably won't carry more than 150 lbs on the rack so the Ecohitch (150 lb limit) would have been fine for that.

So I ordered the 350 lb limit Curt hitch from Amazon delivered for $120, and had a welder modify the hitch to 2". I brought him the hitch and a 6" long, 2" Drawtite receiver bar from Tractor Supply ($20). He cut off the 1.25 bar and welded on the 2" bar for $75. See pics. All modifications were under the bumper so I knew it would still fit on the car. We then sanded off the heat affected paint with a drill and a paint removal poly wheel and painted with Rustoleum gloss black paint.

Then I got 2 friends to come over and install the hitch which I'll cover in a separate thread.

I am very happy with the result. And the difference in capacity vs Ecohitch is obvious when you look at the picture of the bolts side by side. Ecohitch uses 6 of the small bolts threaded into Cmax frame rail inserts while the Curt uses 4 small bolts into inserts and 2 large bolts with a 1"x2"x.25" steel load spreader bar up inside the frame rail which is much stronger than an insert. The big bolts go through the 2 holes you drill. These big bolts are in almost pure tension so they're also in the right place to increase capacity.

Now the bad news. Nobody would install a modified hitch so if you go this route plan on installing yourself or get a welder who specializes in hitches and get him to do it all.

And finally i'd like to say I'm not criticizing the Ecohitch. For most people it's a very good and easy to install hitch. I just needed more capacity than most do.

Oh and btw that's an electric lawnmower on the back of my Energi.

• Jim

post-2768-0-22384000-1436300549_thumb.jpg

post-2768-0-66643100-1436300597_thumb.jpg

post-2768-0-13445200-1436300626_thumb.jpg

post-2768-0-19138000-1436300660_thumb.jpg

post-2768-0-37789000-1436300707_thumb.jpg

post-2768-0-09266000-1436301257_thumb.jpg

post-2768-0-24118600-1436301353_thumb.jpg

Edited by eldrijt

Glad to see you were able to get something that works for you.  Nice job!

Moving into a house next month, and just started looking at some lawn equipment I will have to buy.  I have done a little looking on line at the cordless electric mowers but the choice is limited right now for self propelled ones. 

The two or three I have found so far use the older lead batteries which add weight, don't provide as much power, and have a different charging routine than the newer batteries.  The cutting width is usually smaller also.  I think the largest I have seen is 20"

I may just buy a used gas mower for the rest of this season, and see what comes out next spring.

Until I started driving a C-Max Energi in April, I wouldn't have even thought about an electric mower, edge trimmer, weed eater, etc!  :)

Edited by ls973800

We have about a 1400 sq ft lawn on a very steep lot so a 45 lb mower that always starts makes sense for us. This Ryobi comes with 2 batteries so overkill for us. Somebody had returned it to Home Depot so we got it for $300. They probably had a huge lawn. Very quiet and push button start. No gas cans no fumes.

Jim

Sorry to have "hi-jacked" this post.  I am going to start a new topic in order to continue this discussion about electric lawn mowers and tools.  I appreciate the additional information here, and hope to see more on the correct post.

Steve

Just posted "Electric Lawn Mower"  under the Off Topic group

Edited by ls973800