Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Ford to end C-max production at Michigan plant

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Locationcentral Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Maximis

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Thanks, Frank, that's good to know.  I thought this was another case of the "I've found something perfect and now they no longer make it" syndrome (can't tell you how many times that has occurred in the last decade or so).

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#82 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 974 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

Does someone need to update/clarify/mutate/conflagrate/discombuberate …………………… Wikipedia on this point ?

“Some vehicles that offer CVT are the Ford C-MAX hybrid, the Mitsubishi Lancer, the Dodge Caliber, the Toyota Corolla, the Scion iQ, the Honda Insight, Fit ……………….”

Yust wondering,
Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea, 14 January 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#83 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 175 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

I thought I saw a news article that said Ford was planning on producing several all-electric vehicles in the US..

http://www.freep.com...-plan/96109758/

#84 OFFLINE   ChrisMax

ChrisMax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

I'm about to buy a 2016 top of the line SEL with low mileage for under $20,000.  Best deal as far as cars go and a good time to buy because Hybrid sales are down due to gas prices.

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#85 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts
  • Locationcentral Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Maximis

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

I wish I could afford another C-Max right now, but I'm still holding out hope that in a couple of years (when I could) there might be some nice deals on either some new ones on lots or good used ones.

• C-MaxSea likes this

#86 OFFLINE   AZgman

AZgman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 67 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-max SEL

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

I'm about to buy a 2016 top of the line SEL with low mileage for under $20,000.  Best deal as far as cars go and a good time to buy because Hybrid sales are down due to gas prices.

That seems like a very good price. Enjoy it!

#87 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,327 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

Does someone need to update/clarify/mutate/conflagrate/discombuberate …………………… Wikipedia on this point ?

“Some vehicles that offer CVT are the Ford C-MAX hybrid, ...

No, most folks don't understand the distinction, and no marketing department is going to muddy the waters. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Edited by fbov, 16 January 2017 - 08:36 PM.

#88 OFFLINE   kostby

kostby

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 554 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SE

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

Today Ford announced it is investing $1.2 billion in three Michigan facilities, including $850 million at the Michigan Assembly Plant.

Indirectly, I think Ford announced the end date of US C-MAX production at MAP, at the end of April 2018.

If I'm wrong, and 'next May' means 2017, then US C-MAX production will end in April, 2017, a few weeks from now.

New Ranger and Bronco at Michigan Assembly

The work to transform Michigan Assembly Plant begins next May. Following the same pattern used during vehicle changeover at Dearborn Truck Plant in 2014, Michigan Assembly will take just four weeks to remove and reinstall the tooling necessary to build the all-new Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco.

Ford is retooling the plant to begin producing the 2019 Ford Ranger, scheduled to begin 'at the end of 2018', and the 2020 Ford Bronco

Ford is investing $850 million in Michigan Assembly Plant to retool the plant to build the all-new Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco. Employees at Michigan Assembly Plant will begin building Ranger at the end of 2018 and Bronco in 2020.

Link to full Ford press release, also available from Ford Superticker Topic in these forums.

https://media.ford.c...facilities.html

Edited by kostby, 28 March 2017 - 04:08 PM.

• obob likes this

#89 OFFLINE   MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFt. Collins
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford CMax

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

kostby, Ranger changeover is in 2018, not this year.

"Ford is investing $850 million in Michigan Assembly Plant to retool the plant to build the all-new Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco. Employees at Michigan Assembly Plant will begin building Ranger at the end of 2018 and Bronco in 2020." 

Like the rest of that Ford media press release says, and you quoted above, it only takes a month or two to switch the tooling to start Ranger production.

https://media.ford.c...-facilities.pdf

"Michigan Assembly will take just four weeks to remove and reinstall the tooling necessary to build the all-new Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco."

So C-Max will end in 2018 indeed.

Another thing, looks like the current Focus will be built in Hermosillo (Mexico), and I'd assume the Ford Escape (same Focus/CMax platform) there too.  I could see them importing Ford Focus Electric cars from Europe where its currently produced.  They lose Wayne, so it makes sense.

It looks like about a year between when Wayne stops making CMax and Focus Electrics and the Model E starts up.  Maybe Ford will just glide by for a year on Fusion Hybrids for a year before the Model E takes over hybrid/electric sales.

#90 OFFLINE   MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFt. Collins

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

The Detroit Free Press just interviewed some Focus-CMax workers up at Wayne.

Kane said some at the plant are concerned about how long the lag will be between when Ford’s production of the small cars is phased out and when work on the new trucks begins. He said the plant rumor mill hasn’t been clear about a timeline, and some people fear there could be a wind-down period of up to six months.

“We know we're going to get a new product in 2019, but how long are we going to keep building a product that’s not selling,” he said, referring to the Focus and C-Max. “It’s scary in there. We’d like some clarification on the dates.”

So it seems the Ford official media press release about only taking a month or two to switch over to Ranger production at Wayne is not being accepted or heard yet.  It very well may be Ford could quit Focus-CMax production at Wayne early if they feel they have enough to last a few months until Hermosillo takes over production.

Edited by MaxHeadroom, 28 March 2017 - 07:50 PM.

#91 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:28 AM

I saved five grand on my C-MAX by using the Z code, the salesman told me he could knock twenty grand off of a F150.

#92 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,181 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

Some confusing talk here: http://www.nbcnews.c...duction-n702761I think Electrified Vehicles will be built in Michigan. :headscratch: I just got a 2017 CMAX Brochure in the mail. :) 

Paul 

#93 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 541 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

Some confusing talk here: http://www.nbcnews.c...duction-n702761I think Electrified Vehicles will be built in Michigan. :headscratch: I just got a 2017 CMAX Brochure in the mail. :)

Paul 

What I get from that is that there will be two all-electric vehicles built at the plant. It also sounds like they are considering building a hybrid there, making me think this is a car still on the drawing board and will have a different powertrain than the current 2.0L gas engine hybrid used in the Fusion/C-Max/MKZ. My impression is that any hybrids based on the current hybrid powertrain will be build in Mexico, and a new hybrid with a different powertrain will be built in Michigan.

I'm also getting the impression there will be a 2018 C-Max this fall/winter. Chances are, it will just be the current 2017 C-Max, just built after September, or so. They can then try and produce enough C-Max cars to last until the 2019 model year, before ending production next April, with the idea that the Model E (C-Max replacement?) will be released as a 2019 model, in the first quarter (or so) of 2019.

Edited by raadsel, 29 March 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#94 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Ford's January press release

https://media.ford.c...it-by-2020.html

promises a 2020 fully electric small SUV built at Flat Rock and a fully autonomous hybrid by 2021.  I believe the hybrid is a Fusion intended initially for ride-hailing only, not individual owners.  The small SUV will offer "at least 300 mile" range.  I am not sure if this vehicle is the forecast model E, or whether it will be AWD.  My google search just now didn't find updated info on either of these vehicles.  I expect the 2018 C-max will be produced this year at the Wayne plant, then Wayne will shift to the Ranger truck to be introduced  "in late 2018" - which, given change-over time of a couple months, implies C-max production into mid next year.  Please post if you find newer news.

#95 OFFLINE   MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFt. Collins

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

I expect the 2018 C-max will be produced this year at the Wayne plant, then Wayne will shift to the Ranger truck to be introduced  "in late 2018" - which, given change-over time of a couple months, implies C-max production into mid next year.  Please post if you find newer news.

According to later press releases & articles after the January one, the time line looks like:

2018 model Cmax production at Wayne:  August 2017 to April 2018 (that may be enough to last sufficiently)

2019 model Ranger tooling changeover:  begins May 2018

2019 model Ranger pre-production examples (get the bugs out):  July 2018

2019 model Ranger deliveries begin October 2018

Thats my take based on the latest news from just a few days ago.

• ptjones and djc like this

#96 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

Interesting article on the Wayne plant.  It started late 1950s making the then must-have vehicles: Mercury station wagons.  It has changed many times since.

http://www.autonews....-assembly-plant

The article confirms 2018 end of C-max and Focus production, and a 1-2 month changeover to Ranger and Bronco.  Since those vehicles need to be on dealer lots by Fall, April seems a plausible month for end of C-max.  "The last Focus and C-Max are to roll off the line at Michigan Assembly in mid-2018."

• ptjones likes this

#97 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

A time line for future Ford models in US:

http://www.autonews....ed=4&class=3912

They show 2019 (Model year?) bringing both the Model E and a "C-segment Crossover" that will fill the C-max shoes;  apparently these are distinct.

• obob likes this

#98 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

This reports that at the end of August Ford trademarked the name "Energi" for an upcoming car or range of cars:

http://fordauthority...rk-application/

They suggest this is in addition to the "C-Max Energi" and "Fusion Energi" names and may become the name of the Model E.

• obob likes this

#99 OFFLINE   AudenHoggart

AudenHoggart

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

Does anyone have an idea about whether any of the C-Max replacements will be "tall" like the C-Max?  The combination of "tallness" and the huge windshield makes my C-Max one of the favorite cars I've ever owned.

• obob likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·