Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Drive-In disappointment

Drive-In DRLs FordServiceCA

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bugblndr

Bugblndr

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 98 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:28 PM

I think the problem was the OP was in Canada, and the DRL cannot be turned off.

Correct.  Still waiting for FordServiceCA to offer some insight. Perhaps they are on vacation, I've PM'd them but not heard back.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:09 PM

Correct.  Still waiting for FordServiceCA to offer some insight. Perhaps they are on vacation, I've PM'd them but not heard back.

Interesting. I had DRL turned on for my 2008 FEH, and they only came on when the car was in drive (D). So yours come on at night regardless?

• obob likes this

#23 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Interesting. I had DRL turned on for my 2008 FEH, and they only came on when the car was in drive (D). So yours come on at night regardless?

On the C-Max, the DRL are always on if the ignition is on, which can be a bit annoying. On the C-Max, the headlights act as the DRL (just in a lower power mode), so technically they are off when the headlights are on.

#24 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,416 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

This is curious... two US-spec 2013 Ice Storm SELs, one with DRL, the other without.

It seem no one remembers the complaint thread of all the people who wanted DRL but didn't have them. Canadian drivers, of course, had DRL. Fleet buyers had a choice...

As stevedebi notes, Ford dealers can turn them on, or off, usually for a fee. Mine are off, and I like it that way. Headlights at night are a far greater issue for astronomers than movie-goers. Aux time out is a far greater issue for movie-goers, in my book, so I have a separate sound system for drive-ins.  

Have fun,

Frank

#25 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

This is curious... two US-spec 2013 Ice Storm SELs, one with DRL, the other without.

It seem no one remembers the complaint thread of all the people who wanted DRL but didn't have them. Canadian drivers, of course, had DRL. Fleet buyers had a choice...

As stevedebi notes, Ford dealers can turn them on, or off, usually for a fee. Mine are off, and I like it that way. Headlights at night are a far greater issue for astronomers than movie-goers. Aux time out is a far greater issue for movie-goers, in my book, so I have a separate sound system for drive-ins.  

Have fun,

Frank

They can turn them off on the 2013, not the 2014. Of course the 2015 has it driver selectable. 

But in Canada, they cannot be turned off, by law.

RANT BELOW, stop reading if you like.

I am one of those who wanted them on, but no way - they took out the dealer capability to turn them on for the 2014, and told the dealer not to attempt any changes.

Probably my last Ford over the way their corporate office has handled the "MPG" issue; they "fixed" the problem by removing display capabilities from the newer models. I mean, removing gallons used from the trip meters, and estimated HVB miles on the Fusion Energi? That is just stupid, and I don't need stupid manufacturers making decisions based on that kind of thing. I want decisions based on customer service and good engineering, not lawyers and corporate busybodies (neither of whom seem to care about the consumer).

My next vehicle is probably a Honda or VW diesel. It may be a while, since I will consider purchasing this one if I continue to like it when the lease is done, and if it makes financial sense.

• okashira likes this

#26 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 694 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

Sure.......and cars are designed by funky, passionate engineers with pictures of Ferraris on their walls who ignore management and lawyers to realize their vision!!!

Do you really think Honda or VW are any better??

However, I basicaly agree with you, but have a somewhat different anti-new car philosophy which has more to do with technology excluding the consumer from the (necessary) repair and maintanence process.  While I love my wife's C-max (the first new car we have ever bought), we're basically helpless if anything goes wrong---the polar opposite of my relationship with my glorious '66 Volvo. 

#27 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

Sure.......and cars are designed by funky, passionate engineers with pictures of Ferraris on their walls who ignore management and lawyers to realize their vision!!!

Do you really think Honda or VW are any better??

However, I basicaly agree with you, but have a somewhat different anti-new car philosophy which has more to do with technology excluding the consumer from the (necessary) repair and maintanence process.  While I love my wife's C-max (the first new car we have ever bought), we're basically helpless if anything goes wrong---the polar opposite of my relationship with my glorious '66 Volvo. 

Yes, I do think they are better. I have had Hondas and my wife currently has a VW. By the time I need to decide on my lease, I will know if the VW is reliable enough.

I like the engineering on Honda, Ford, Mazda, and VW. But currently I'm not sure I'd prefer any of the Mazdas.

#28 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 694 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

Our family never had any problems with the Hondas we have owned in the past.  I just think they've gone a bit bland over the years.  Toyota was bland from the start.

I thought I was getting a stomach ulcer from the problems we had with VW/Audi.  I heartily recommend the "mechanic test"---ask your mechanic (or 2 or 3) what they think of VW. 

#29 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

Our family never had any problems with the Hondas we have owned in the past.  I just think they've gone a bit bland over the years.  Toyota was bland from the start.

I thought I was getting a stomach ulcer from the problems we had with VW/Audi.  I heartily recommend the "mechanic test"---ask your mechanic (or 2 or 3) what they think of VW. 

A bit late for me on VW, my wife has a 2014 Passat TDI. Time will tell, but I'm budgeting a bit more for maintenance.

#30 OFFLINE   okashira

okashira

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 54 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationusa
  • Current Vehicle:energi

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

I also find the inability to turn off the DRL

But, you can use FORScan to turn them off for a drive-in purpose.

Open the Body Control Module, add the control options for the headlights and set them both for 0%, and just leave it open.

• obob likes this

#31 OFFLINE   JohnnOhio

JohnnOhio

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL and GMC Canyon and 1956 Ford 860 tractor

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:39 PM

My sel  I can turn the headlight switch off. I can then start the car and headlights will stay off. I noticed this a couple of times after being serviced. The service tech will turn them off while they work on the car inside the service bay.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#32 OFFLINE   Bugblndr

Bugblndr

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 98 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

Open the Body Control Module, add the control options for the headlights and set them both for 0%, and just leave it open.

Thanks, I will give that a try later tonight.  Not ideal, probably won't count on it for use at the drive-in, but I will definitely test it out on my Canadian model.

#33 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

They removed the option for DRL control from the BCM for the 2014 model. I don't know if they put it back in for 2015, since it is operator selectable.

Selectable in the US, not Canada, BTW.

Edited by stevedebi, 08 September 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   SPL Tech

SPL Tech

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationhome
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:c-max 2013 SL

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:05 AM

Perhaps make a set of covers for the headlights.

Running the headlamps on for 1.5 hours during a movie would completely kill the battery. I killed the battery enough to not be able to start the car with the lamps on for only 30 minutes or so.

#35 OFFLINE   flychinook

flychinook

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max SE

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:38 PM

I'm late to the game here... but doesn't pressing and holding the start/stop button for a few seconds, with your foot NOT on the brake, put it into accessory mode? Thought I saw this in the manual somewhere. 

#36 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:42 AM

I'm late to the game here... but doesn't pressing and holding the start/stop button for a few seconds, with your foot NOT on the brake, put it into accessory mode? Thought I saw this in the manual somewhere. 

It is more an "ON" mode without the engine running than an accessory mode. The SEs with a physical key have a three position switch; accessory, on, and start. Accessory only has things like the radio turn on, it doesn't turn on things like the dashboard displays. When you switch the key to "On" it turns on the rest of the electronics, such as the dashboard displays but the car is not started. Start is just like a starter in a normal car, it is spring loaded, so you push against the spring to start the car and then let it go back to the On position.

The push button only has one "position" which is on. Depressing the brake pedal, while pushing the button, is essentially like pushing the key to the "start" position. There is no accessory mode.

Edited by raadsel, 03 May 2016 - 01:43 AM.

#37 OFFLINE   flychinook

flychinook

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max SE

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:00 AM

It is more an "ON" mode without the engine running than an accessory mode. The SEs with a physical key have a three position switch; accessory, on, and start. Accessory only has things like the radio turn on, it doesn't turn on things like the dashboard displays. When you switch the key to "On" it turns on the rest of the electronics, such as the dashboard displays but the car is not started. Start is just like a starter in a normal car, it is spring loaded, so you push against the spring to start the car and then let it go back to the On position.

The push button only has one "position" which is on. Depressing the brake pedal, while pushing the button, is essentially like pushing the key to the "start" position. There is no accessory mode.

Ah, ok. Mine is an SE (just got it last week!), so I wasn't able to test it for myself. For what it's worth, I did find a thread in the Fusion Hybrid forum saying that the radio can be powered on while the car is off, and it will stay on for about two hours. May help for the drive-in situation. 

#38 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationWestern NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi with Pano Roof

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

Ah, ok. Mine is an SE (just got it last week!), so I wasn't able to test it for myself. For what it's worth, I did find a thread in the Fusion Hybrid forum saying that the radio can be powered on while the car is off, and it will stay on for about two hours. May help for the drive-in situation. 

I'd like to know just how to do that...

I only recently started playing around with the radio with the car "off" and on my 2013 Energi it seems you only get 10 minutes before it shuts off and further it seems that after you've turned the stereo back on twice(maybe 3x) then it "shuts off to save battery" and I guess requires the car to actually be turned "on" before it will let you use the radio again?  Which would REALLY suck at the drive-in since I've also got DRL's which Ford apparently requires to be on any time the car is on, never mind if you're driving or not...

#39 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

I'd like to know just how to do that...

I only recently started playing around with the radio with the car "off" and on my 2013 Energi it seems you only get 10 minutes before it shuts off and further it seems that after you've turned the stereo back on twice(maybe 3x) then it "shuts off to save battery" and I guess requires the car to actually be turned "on" before it will let you use the radio again?  Which would REALLY suck at the drive-in since I've also got DRL's which Ford apparently requires to be on any time the car is on, never mind if you're driving or not...

The Ford dealer can turn off the DRL for the 2013 model year. They might charge for the service.

#40 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationWestern NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi with Pano Roof

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

The Ford dealer can turn off the DRL for the 2013 model year. They might charge for the service.

So if I made it to the drive-in with my Energi fully charged I wonder how much battery I'd burn through sitting in "ON" for 4-ish hours...

Wonder how hard it is to unplug the headlights...

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·