Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How to Improve Winter MPG's

winter mpgs

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

With 2013 CMAX Hybrid you get a Trip Summary every time you shutoff the car. If I thought about it I could set the Smart trip gauge every morning and look how I did for the day, but that is problematic.  I mainly watch my tank average to see if it is going up. :)

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 742 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:24 PM

You would do it because you may have the MPG going from, say, home to work and, separately, the MPG from work back to home.  If you used the Trip meter to get the mileage each way, then you don't have the mileage for the round trip - so you have to calculate it.  The other trip meter may be tied up for the whole tank and the Trip Summary (at car turn off) won't work either if you made a stop along the way!  Whatever the reason, a lot of folks need to do the calculation but often grab the wrong equation.  (BTW, mathematically, its the "harmonic" mean, not the "geometric".)  Again, the equation is only for equal distances only.

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:19 PM

Today I left home about 12 noon and Outside Temp was 30*F.  I had left Oil Pan and Block Heaters on for 4.5 Hrs., planned on leaving a lot sooner and WT was 107*F and garage was about 50*F.  My HVB was low, 39% so the ICE started as soon as I got moving and it only took  half a mile to get WT to 128*F so the car could go into EV Mode.  I believe the IT was around 80*F to start, but by the time I got to work 7 miles later it was 41*F and OT was 32*F. It should have been 30*F warmer than OT, because I had Grill Covers on all three openings.  After thinking about it for a minute I figured out what was going on.  When I got back from AZ the car was covered with road salt and dirt, I had to take all the Covers off, Grills and Wheels to get the car washed, I cleaned all the Covers to reinstall on MADMAX and decided to change things.  The top Grill I had Packing Taped the opening air tight , but decided to put my LEXAN cover on instead so I could open the hood if I needed to.  This has turned out to be not as air tight as I thought so I  taped up any problem areas to solve that problem.  I had also taped up around the edges of center Grill Cover before, but didn't when I reinstalled it. So I taped that up also so I will see if that solves the IT problem.

For those members that might be confused by the importance of IT( Intake Temp for the ICE(engine)), the warmer the air going into the Intake, the quicker the ICE heats up and the better your gas mileage. Remember you get the best MPG's when WT is above 202*F and I started out at 107*F and 7 miles later I was at 184*F.  I will see how I do on the way home. :)

Paul

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

This morning I did the same trip from home to work, 7 miles, but with top and center Grill Covers were sealed up better.  Garage was 44*F, SOC 35%,WT 107*F and IT 78*F. The OT was 30-32*F and the ICE started immediately when I started to move down the street.  As before the WT hit 128*F in half of mile so EV could come on. The IT fluctuated between 48-58*F depending if the ICE was on or not.  The sealing up Grill Covers  improved  IT by at least 7*F,  got 41.8 mpg and went from SOC of 35.8% to 51%.  This is why my second trip of the day is in the 50's-60's mpg's. :)

Paul

#25 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

Well blocking off all the grill openings is working great, my average so far is 51.6mpg on 400mi. tank and going up.  Yesterday I improved my  average more than a mpg in fifty miles with OT 50*F or below.  One 18 mile trip I got over 63mpg! :)  :shift:

Paul

• obob likes this

#26 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,319 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

(BTW, mathematically, its the "harmonic" mean, not the "geometric".) 

Exactly right; very well done! Thanks for the lesson.

#27 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Well blocking off all the grill openings is working great, my average so far is 51.6mpg on 400mi. tank and going up.  Yesterday I improved my  average more than a mpg in fifty miles with OT 50*F or below.  One 18 mile trip I got over 63mpg! :)  :shift:

Paul

I forgot to mention the highest WT I saw was 209*F, Perfect! :yahoo:

Paul

• obob likes this

#28 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

Well today my Life Time Average went back up to 47.9mpg, Maybe in a month or so I will make it back up to 48mpg (my record). Also I should get Fuelly back up to 47mpg. :)

Paul

#29 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

with grill covers (middle and bottom only), typically I see 185-200 around 20-30 deg. outside.

Below 20 deg. it stays at 185-190 or below at times.

I did see 210-225 going up a long hill at around 30-35 degrees outside. 

#30 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

with grill covers (middle and bottom only), typically I see 185-200 around 20-30 deg. outside.

Below 20 deg. it stays at 185-190 or below at times.

I did see 210-225 going up a long hill at around 30-35 degrees outside. 

Sounds about right, on those long uphills when it reaches 225*F you can turn the heater or if you need more help turn Defrost on which also turns on fan. It will only take 30 seconds to drop 10-15*F.  What about MPG's? :)

Paul

#31 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCuba, NY

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

gotcha. thanks. will do. MPG's are all over the place. 30-40 depending. sometimes I let it warm up a bit in the morning, we have been getting down to single digits and it sits outside too. 

#32 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:35 PM

gotcha. thanks. will do. MPG's are all over the place. 30-40 depending. sometimes I let it warm up a bit in the morning, we have been getting down to single digits and it sits outside too. 

I would tape up the top Grill with temps that low. :)

Paul

#33 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCuba, NY

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

will do when it get cold enough. suppose to be 30-40's for the next week now. 

#34 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:54 PM

will do when it get cold enough. suppose to be 30-40's for the next week now. 

I leave it on until IT gets to 100*F if you have OBDII gauge. Otherwise 70*F OT, it's all about  MPG's. LOL :)

Paul

#35 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

Well today going to work I got a new record of 51mpg, garage temp 54*F,WT 120*F, SOC 45%, OT 45*F and I didn't have to deal with any traffic. :yahoo:

My current average on this tank(418mi) is 52mpg. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 27 January 2016 - 10:47 AM.

• C-MaxSea likes this

#36 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

Well it's time to winterize your CMAX to improve MPG's(4-6MPG's) and get the heater to work quicker.  GO TO First POST of this thread to get all the details. :)

Paul

#37 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

Cabin heat: I was thinking that having a 120v electric cabin heater that runs when the engine block heater is powered early winter mornings would be cost effective (and much more comfortable than getting into a cold car).   Could use a cube tap at the left top of the grill with the existing block heater and added cabin heater cords.  Looks like a good place to bring power through the firewall is the approx 2x3" rectangular hole in the firewall left of and above the steering column (you can see this with hood open by looking behind the red-capped + jump-start terminal).  Any experience, suggestions?

#38 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

I would think you could run the heater cord around the door and just have the plug sticking out. Then you could have long extension cord to the house and plug it in when you wanted to heat up the car. :)

Paul

#39 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

I had second thoughts about installing a small heater in the cabin to preheat it: since I have a factory block heater, I thought it should warm the coolant and, um, block, so that I could start heating cabin immediately.  BUT I ran the block heater 3 hours yesterday, ambient 22 degrees, and it only raised the coolant temp to about 70 degrees.  This is not enough to either heat the cabin or to prevent the engine from starting upon setting out.  Disappointing.

#40 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

I have Block and Oil Pan Heaters and I get +60*F rise in temps in 2 1/2 hrs.  Do you have all the Grills blocked off? It comes down to conservation of heat/energy, don't let heat escape out of ICE compartment. Use all the ideas I have in my First Post including Seat Heaters. :)

Paul

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winter, mpgs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·