Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

HVB and EV+ Mode: What is the relationship?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 641 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

I believe the HVB will probably last as long as the car.  With 136K mi. I'm getting as good of MPG's as I ever have. I think I'm using only about 10% of the HVB (38 to 48%) most of the time.  IIRC I have seen a couple of times where actual SOC was less than 40% and the CMAX wouldn't  go into EV+ Mode, not sure why.  In EV+ I think I can get down to 32% SOC before ICE kicks in. When SOC gets below 34% the ICE jerks when starting. :)

Paul

There is a thread around here that describes four C-Maxes which where monitored to the max by some government agency.  As I recall, after about 100K miles there was around a 5% reduction in some HVB measurement.

I do believe leaving the battery overnight at a lower state of charge will increase longevity, it probably isn't going to be that big a deal.  (There is also a thread about the reasons for that.)

I also noticed on ebay C-Max hybrid HV Batteries for sale in the 500-600 range.  They don't seem to be wearing out as fast as spares are becoming available.  (Though people do buy used batteries to take apart)

Edited by obob, 19 August 2016 - 11:38 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,422 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

Interesting note...  I've frequently thought that the C-Max seems a bit less refined in it's ICE starting and stopping(most notably from a dead stop) compared to my old Prius.  But with my Energi most of the time I'd have the ICE running would be when my battery is closer to 20%...  I would have thought that there would be enough volt/amp regulation to keep the car performing the same no matter the normal battery levels, but now you've got me wondering if there is something that makes it less smooth when the battery voltage is lower...

The HVB isn't suppose to be getting down to 32% or less, but happens when some kind of HVB check or test is done over night.  Starting a cold ICE with low Volts requires more amps, this doesn't happen when ICE is warmed up and HVB is charged up some.  Prius has half the size HVB ,even smaller DC Motors than the CMAX and runs the ICE most of time.  I have driven my Daughter's 2011 Prius a few times on trips and the ICE runs constantly vs the CMAX ICE runs 60% of the time.  My Life Time EV is 50%  and as far as I can tell Prius doesn't keep track of EV time and instead uses the EV to assist the ICE. As you can see the CMAX and Prius are two quite different Hybrids and IMO I like the CMAX much better. :)

Paul 

Paul

#23 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 219 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

Here is the warranty guide for the 2013 Hybrid..

http://www.ford.com/...ridWarranty.pdf

It says New York adopted the Emission Standards but not the California Emissions warranty.

It also says that non-functioning battery pack due to gradual loss over time or "improper storage" is not covered.  So basically if you have a sudden unexpected pack that won't hold a charge it's covered..?

Here's the other article I found..

http://cmaxchat.com/?p=766

The simple explanation I have is that EV+ uses your car's GPS (yes, it has a GPS) to figure out places where you park 11 or more times in a row.  When it senses you coming close to one of these places it allows more range on pure EV to draw the pack down, knowing that it is likely the next time you start the car up the engine will be "cold" and it can charge the pack up while it's going through an engine warm up cycle.  The battery is probably "happier"  at a lower state of charge while it is in a resting state  (but not discharged)

The first time I drove a C-MAX I couldn't get over the whiny engine noise either but that was pretty much because the battery was at a low SoC on a car that hadn't been driven in a while - normal use I find that my engine doesn't sound like it has a huge load at idle.  I was impressed with the performance of the car - it does use the battery more than the Prius does. 

I've had both vehicles and you can pretty much guarantee that at least for Gen II the Prius ICE kicks in around 40MPH because of the way the PSD is designed.  It's still a great sedan, but I love the C-MAX crossover a lot more than the Prius v wagon - I test drove the v wagon and it had -no- power - it was like someone just took the standard prius drivetrain and added 2,000lbs.

Prius also has a thermos where it can store warm coolant to jump start warming up the engine from a cold start and PTC electric heaters to supplement engine heat in the passenger compartment.  I think only the Energi has electric heater, the regular C-MAX hybrid for whatever reason only has engine heat available.

Edited by jestevens, 19 August 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

Ford Engineers chose to use Lithium Ion packs instead of the more traditional NiMH packs Toyota has been using, I guess they think they are going to be even more durable, therefore they can use the battery more aggressively.  Over on priuschat the toyota NiMH packs seem to be lasting a long time, about 10-15 years and at least 100,000mi ..  Of course the SoC range does go down over the life of the vehicle until they get the dreaded Triangle of Death.  Pay $1500 for a refurb or $4000 for a new pack, trade up..

Who knows how long the Li-on packs will last?  It's still a newer technology - maybe cab drivers in NYC?  I still like the car a lot better than most others on the road - it's a good value - the only thing I've ever really had the car in for is oil change, tires and module reprogramming (free)..

http://www.designnew...p?doc_id=256425

Edited by jestevens, 19 August 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,422 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

Just filled up, 788mi. total, 530mi. EV 68% EV, 58MPG and 50% city. :shift:  You would be hard pressed to do that in a Prius, let alone a Prius V. :yahoo:

Paul

• markd likes this

#26 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 409 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

That's awesome!

#27 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi with Pano Roof

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

Just filled up, 788mi. total, 530mi. EV 68% EV, 58MPG and 50% city. :shift:  You would be hard pressed to do that in a Prius, let alone a Prius V. :yahoo:

Paul

Eh, It might take a bit of effort to get that mileage out of a Prius(though I've heard the current generation is now in the 60's).  But I'd also guarantee that you're not driving your C-Max like a "normal" person and are hypermiling to get that sort of mileage.  And you are doing excellent at it.  The only time I could get that out of my Energi was while constantly shifting to N down hills without stops at the bottom and setting the cruise to 25mph.  

My Energi is lucky to clear 35mpg in hybrid mode under anything resembling normal driving around here.  But I live in hilly areas with 55 or 65mph speed limits most of the time.  I've seen it as low as 25mpg but with the bigger battery and EV mode(and dropping the speed from 55 back to 30mph up a few hills) I've got my average up to about 58mpge which does beat my roughly 42mpg overall average of out of my 12 year old Prius at a bit higher speeds.

#28 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

Keep in mind that 20% on an Energi Battery would be a much higher % in a hybrid battery in terms of energy available.

I haven't driven a Prius, but I have a hard time imagining it being much smoother transition than my 2015 C-Max Energi.  In my car, if I don't mention it, my passengers can't tell when the engine starts, or if it is running or not, unless I am accelerating up an on-ramp or something similar that brings the rpms up considerably.

From reading this thread, it appears that Energi drivers have a slightly different perception of the primary benefit of EV+ than Hybrid drivers do.  I think the Energi drivers focus on not starting the ICE is because they commonly drive for days or weeks without starting the ICE.  In an Energi, creeping into the driveway in EV+ with half of the Hybrid portion of the battery consumed, but without starting the ICE, creates a curious euphoria that I have never experienced in a hybrid, ICE car, or BEV.  It's like you just won a hard level on a video game :-)

Yes, the percentage levels would have large differences in actual amounts of power left between the 2 batteries, but I'd think the voltage levels would similar as far as percentages go.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I think there may be some variances in the C-Maxes or maybe it's just more noticeable due to the bigger power outputs from the C-Max.  They are just 2 differently behaving cars.  The C-Max doesn't usually seem bad, but there have been occasions when it seems like it lugged a bit to get away from a start in hybrid mode.  Not exactly bad, just not quite smooth.  I had another time when I topped up the battery at someone's house at the top of a hill.  On the way back down the car was REALLY acting funky with 100% charge and trying to balance out regen, spinning the ICE, braking, etc.

The Prius is more like you start out and the ICE starts up and it just revs up and stays there till you reach speed but doesn't seem to have the *slight* jerkiness I've noticed in the C-Max.  And if you fill the battery, the ICE just stays spinning for a while where I got the impression the C-Max was trying to stop spinning the ICE sooner which made for a lot more coming and going as I was stopping at intersections going down a hill and maxed out.

I've only driven my Energi maybe a handful of times without starting the engine during the day.  It just can't handle my 25 miles with some elevation on battery only.  I dunno, EV+ just seems like an extension of the usual hybrid game if you're trying to hyper mile or otherwise keep it in EV mode as long as possible.  I've done the same thing with my Prius.  How gently can I keep that accelerator to keep it from turning on the ICE...(and the Prius is a lot more likely to start the ICE than the C-Max)...

#29 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,422 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

Eh, It might take a bit of effort to get that mileage out of a Prius(though I've heard the current generation is now in the 60's).  But I'd also guarantee that you're not driving your C-Max like a "normal" person and are hypermiling to get that sort of mileage.  And you are doing excellent at it.  The only time I could get that out of my Energi was while constantly shifting to N down hills without stops at the bottom and setting the cruise to 25mph.  

My Energi is lucky to clear 35mpg in hybrid mode under anything resembling normal driving around here.  But I live in hilly areas with 55 or 65mph speed limits most of the time.  I've seen it as low as 25mpg but with the bigger battery and EV mode(and dropping the speed from 55 back to 30mph up a few hills) I've got my average up to about 58mpge which does beat my roughly 42mpg overall average of out of my 12 year old Prius at a bit higher speeds.

I have driven my Daughter's 2011 Prius on a few trips and drove a 2016 Prius at Car Show, nicer interior, but Ugly exterior.( slightly better performance and handling than 2011 Prius, still no CMAX.) :sad:  You are right I work on getting the best MPG's I can, It's Fun, which includes Grill Covers, wheel covers, Premium Gas and 50psi tire pressure.  I believe these mods are worth 5-6mpg.  With temps above 85*F at 45mph I should be getting 75mpg and my record tank was on a trip around FL where I went 922mi. on 13.5gal and 68.3mpg which will give you an idea what's possible. :) BTW the Energi does weigh 250+ pounds more than an Hybrid CMAX. :)

Wheel well cover
Grill covers with holes

Paul

#30 OFFLINE   agilix

agilix

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

What does POC stand for in your post ?

Sorry, I meant Pre-Owned Certified. I did purchase mine in New York, and the dealer mentioned that NY State has better waranty than other states (in terms of lemon law, but not sure about HVB). The car had some scretches and tiny dents, and that was why it was priced quite low. I also purchased exterted waranty for the sake of all the electric gadges. (One of the shade/mirrow lights is already off!)

BTW, I think a lot of discussions here are very valuable. I tend to believe EV+ is more than saving gas off ICE, and does contribute to logivity of HVB in the long term. The "cold" start after "longer" parking especially makes sense for HVB recharging. I guess I need to figure out the exact SOC of my battery using some of the special tools mentioned here.

#31 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,395 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

BS on what part?

Show me some information anywhere that EV+ is anything at all towards battery longevity...  I've certainly not seen it......

...I've got an Energi...

...And Toyota does use some Li-Ion in Prius' it's just not the majority of them.

Yes, Toyota's plug-in has always been Li-ion, and they've started switching the rest of the line over. There were none on the market at C-Max introduction. 

As to the rest... I think you're a great example of Ford's success with the feature. You even quoted he right piece; the mental attitude they wanted to engender in their owners: " '... we'd try to turn the engine off more.' " Imagine if Consumer's Union had had a clue how to do this... perhaps they failed to view the piece you linked. That piece is "marketing" where you never tell your real intentions

The BS is the unsupported opinion that: "EV+ is not about being good to your battery for storage at all."

I explained how it works, but you've ignored that. Need I add that Ford's engineers are smart? That Ford keeps the important stuff - intellectual property - secret. 

And you've got an Energi! That disqualifies your opinions regarding EV+ operation. You've never used it. 

But you can't see that either. That's why I called BS. 

HAve fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov, 23 August 2016 - 01:40 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:cmax

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

I've got an energi and I use EV+ all the time.

#33 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

Just another possibility. They may have implemented EV+ for the Energi, and then decided to leave it in for the hybrid as well. In either case, they planned for the battery effects.

Also just a note, the latest Prius upper range models also use LiIon, not NiMh.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#34 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:cmax

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:30 PM

I have EV+ on my Fusion Hybrid as well.

#35 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:21 AM

Yes, Toyota's plug-in has always been Li-ion, and they've started switching the rest of the line over. There were none on the market at C-Max introduction. 

As to the rest... I think you're a great example of Ford's success with the feature. You even quoted he right piece; the mental attitude they wanted to engender in their owners: " '... we'd try to turn the engine off more.' " Imagine if Consumer's Union had had a clue how to do this... perhaps they failed to view the piece you linked. That piece is "marketing" where you never tell your real intentions

The BS is the unsupported opinion that: "EV+ is not about being good to your battery for storage at all."

I explained how it works, but you've ignored that. Need I add that Ford's engineers are smart? That Ford keeps the important stuff - intellectual property - secret. 

And you've got an Energi! That disqualifies your opinions regarding EV+ operation. You've never used it. 

But you can't see that either. That's why I called BS. 

HAve fun,

Frank

So what you're saying is that EV+ is NOT actually what Ford says it is, but instead has a secret agenda that can not be revealed and therefore not proven.

I'm not saying that it IS or is NOT good for the battery, just that I've yet to see any evidence to such a thing.  And I can't fathom why Ford would want to keep that a secret...

Sorry buddy but I use EV+ every single day I take my Energi out.  I've owned it for about 8 months now and I think there may have been about 3 times in total when I had some special short range trip where I had enough battery left to make it home.  Every day on my usual commute home about 3-5 miles in the EV portion is done, the ICE kicks in and I'm in pretty much the same hybrid mode as you and when I get to the last half mile-ish with the ICE running, EV+ shows up on the dash and it increases the tolerance (which you can see in the meter) for how much EV it will let you use before kicking the ICE back on.

For that matter, if you truly believe that Ford has a secret(and why on earth would they want to keep items to make your battery last longer a secret?) agenda to promote battery longevity by lowering the battery charge while parked then take a look at the Energi.  Why does the car provide no option whatsoever to stop charging at anything less than 100%?(Actual SOC around 90% I believe).  If they wanted to do as you suggest then there would be an option to stop charge at 50% for storage as a default and then finish the charge before you need to drive the car.

#36 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,395 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:37 AM

So what you're saying ...

It would appear you are incapable of understanding what I'm saying... 

• livesmith likes this

#37 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:41 AM

I think it's still too early to tell just how long the Ford battery packs will last, most of the design included with this generation are still under warranty.  The Prius has been around longer and hence some of those packs are finally starting to reach their end of life through normal means.

There is probably more than one reason EV+ was included, it makes a great marketing feature, it might contribute to safety -or- longevity by giving the lithium packs a lower SoC while they are at rest, it gives folks a little more EV without having to push an actual EV button.  We'll know for sure once some of the packs truly reach their end of life.

Edited by jestevens, 25 August 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

So what you're saying is that EV+ is NOT actually what Ford says it is, but instead has a secret agenda that can not be revealed and therefore not proven.

I'm not saying that it IS or is NOT good for the battery, just that I've yet to see any evidence to such a thing.  And I can't fathom why Ford would want to keep that a secret...

Sorry buddy but I use EV+ every single day I take my Energi out.  I've owned it for about 8 months now and I think there may have been about 3 times in total when I had some special short range trip where I had enough battery left to make it home.  Every day on my usual commute home about 3-5 miles in the EV portion is done, the ICE kicks in and I'm in pretty much the same hybrid mode as you and when I get to the last half mile-ish with the ICE running, EV+ shows up on the dash and it increases the tolerance (which you can see in the meter) for how much EV it will let you use before kicking the ICE back on.

For that matter, if you truly believe that Ford has a secret(and why on earth would they want to keep items to make your battery last longer a secret?) agenda to promote battery longevity by lowering the battery charge while parked then take a look at the Energi.  Why does the car provide no option whatsoever to stop charging at anything less than 100%?(Actual SOC around 90% I believe).  If they wanted to do as you suggest then there would be an option to stop charge at 50% for storage as a default and then finish the charge before you need to drive the car.

livesmith,

This is a C-Max Hybrid forum. The question is why EV+ would be meaningful for the hybrid. It makes sense for the Energi, which plugs into the grid daily.

But there is no point in charging an Energi to 50% - the entire idea of that car is to use as much electric as possible. But in fact, you can use EV Later to charge your car the way you describe, and by default it will begin charging early enough to ensure it is fully charged before you start out in the morning.

EDIT: Just a friendly tip. I monitor this forum even though I have an Energi because a lot of the car is the same. But I'm careful to only get involved in the discussions when I think the topic overlaps with the Energi model. I think it is good etiquette. You will get a lot more interest if you post Energi suff in the Energi forum.

Edited by stevedebi, 25 August 2016 - 12:32 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#39 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:40 AM

livesmith,

This is a C-Max Hybrid forum. The question is why EV+ would be meaningful for the hybrid. It makes sense for the Energi, which plugs into the grid daily.

But there is no point in charging an Energi to 50% - the entire idea of that car is to use as much electric as possible. But in fact, you can use EV Later to charge your car the way you describe, and by default it will begin charging early enough to ensure it is fully charged before you start out in the morning.

EDIT: Just a friendly tip. I monitor this forum even though I have an Energi because a lot of the car is the same. But I'm careful to only get involved in the discussions when I think the topic overlaps with the Energi model. I think it is good etiquette. You will get a lot more interest if you post Energi suff in the Energi forum.

I think there is a lot of overlap with the cars.  Sure, there are differences.  But some times the points overlap depending on what you're trying to explain.

Though I'm *completely* missing your point on why EV+ makes more sense in the Energi...  The Energi would be much more likely than the Hybrid to be making it home without starting the ICE...  If you're still in EV mode then EV+ isn't going to do anything at all...

Sure there's a reason to only charge the Energi to 50%(or 40% if that seems to be best charge holding battery longevity number).  I park my car Friday afternoon and don't need it again until Tuesday morning.  It would be best if I could just have it in a "storage charge" mode and charged to 40%, then when my Go Time comes up Tuesday morning it finishes charging up to 100%.

I think you're confusing some terms...

-"Value charging" is what you could set up to have it delay charging at all and I don't know of anything that would delay it more than a day.

-"Go Times" are what you'd set up to make sure your car is charged and or temp controlled(attempted) by a specific time(but it won't delay anything)

-"EV Later" is only used while you are actually driving and it will just put the car into hybrid mode at whatever set point the battery is currently at.  I.e. you want to keep the EV battery held at 95%.

#40 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,422 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

It's pretty rare that the ICE comes on when the car goes into EV+ Mode going to home or work with my Hybrid. :)

Paul

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·