Should I keep or sell?

MtnMarty

I have a 2013 Cmax SEL with 79,000 miles. I just got my car back from my dealer after a brand new transmission was installed for free...thank you Ford. I had the whining sound when driving and they said it was a bad internal bearing and replaced the entire transmission. So, I’m wondering if this is a message to me that I’m faced with other major repairs? The car drives really well now and I like it quite a bit. I get in the 40’s to 50 around town and about 40 on the highway at 70 mph speeds.

So the question is what’s the sweet spot between sale value now and future repair costs. Opinions?

Marty

KEEP  KEEP  KEEP

People have posted on this forum about the attractiveness of a 2013 that has had the trans replaced.  The trans is the only big weak point due to a design problem that has been resolved.   You may have smooth sailing for another 100,000 or more.

I am curious what kind of driving you do.  Some believe highway driving increases the stress on the trans bearing.

Edited by obob

Thanks for your reply Bob. Yes, I've read some of the tranny problems on this forum. I do about 20-30% long trips. We drive from western NC to NJ several times per year at interstate speeds and also several other trips as well. For example we're doing a Florida run next month. But most of the time it's just around town kind of driving. Asheville is hilly, so there's that to consider as well. All things being equal, I'd really like to keep the car as I do like it a lot.

PS--lI don't want the trans to fail again!

Edited by MtnMarty

Well the transmission seems to be the single major-cost trouble spot.  And Ford appears to have fixed / improved the bearing that fails.  So seems to me reasonable and economical to keep the C-max.  And if I was shopping for a mid-sized hybrid now and seeking good value, a used C-max with the tranny replaced would be around the top of the list.

I think that we are all faced with the replacement of the LI battery at some point down the road.  Cost -- who knows?

Maybe in twenty years, again with 174k mi. on MADMAX with small lose in capacity I'm getting the best MPG's ever!  I'm not aware of any HVB failing yet.  Think about it, we only use a maximum of 1/3 of the HVB capacity(65%-32% SOC) and usually I use about 10% of the SOC 40% to 50% SOC.  I think other things will brake before the HVB. IMO :)

Paul

Maybe in twenty years, again with 174k mi. on MADMAX with small lose in capacity I'm getting the best MPG's ever!  I'm not aware of any HVB failing yet.  Think about it, we only use a maximum of 1/3 of the HVB capacity(65%-32% SOC) and usually I use about 10% of the SOC 40% to 50% SOC.  I think other things will brake before the HVB. IMO :)

Paul

Agree.  There are a couple early message threads that go into detail but what I got from them is not to worry about the battery.  Not only no discussion here about battery replacement, not even discussion about battery getting weak.

Check this out to kind of look into the future.   http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/6558-how-many-miles-on-your-c-max/?p=67635

The big deal is the transmission on the early 2013 and the above post from Spitinuri hasn't had that problem.  Some people,more than normal, with 2013s have.

Edited by obob