Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

ForScan Major Update Release

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 212 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

Thanks much P3G for the brake pressure info. 

A year or so I bought the cheaper LX model obdii reader - seems to work fine with Forscan.  I did have some trouble losing connection when I tried it last week - could be my phone.

This morning I stumbled upon an "Insignia" (= BestBuy) Windows tablet i have and thought I would charge it up and download Forscan since the Windows version is free.  But - of course! - the tablet shows no sign of accepting charge.  With an 8" screen it would have been a nice way to monitor multiple obdii parameters.

• ptjones likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

Yes, I have the windows free version on my 12" 2-1 .  It is nice to have the large screen. But it's too large to mount for easy viewing when driving.  However, I used the free version to reset my 12 V Battery Age which is not available on the Smartphone Lite versions.   

• ptjones likes this

#23 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 890 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:14 PM

Received my OBDlink MX module today.    It is significantly faster than my old ELM327.  I can read the 15 - HS CAN modules and now the 9 - MS CAN modules - GPSM, InstrumentPanelC, AudioControlM, RemoteFunctionActuator, HVAC, DriverDoorM, PassengerDoorM, FrontControlsIM, DiditalAudioCMC, GateWayM.

Does the OBDLink MX have a physical switch to get to MS-CAN bus that you have to flip manually?  It doesn't look like it.  I've been thinking I should get this module as my cheap one doesn't do MS and drops connection frequently (I'm, assuming its the modules fault - who knows).  Also, do you leave it plugged in all the time?  If so, does it start communicating the next time you drive without having to unplug / plug it in again?

#24 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

There is no switch in the MX module.  ForScan should be set to Auto scan.  However, you will likely have to uninstall the ForScan App and reinstall it as ForScan Forum says that the first time your vehicle is scanned, your car make and model is detected, the appropriate configuration data is built for your vehicle, and it will not include the MS -CAN if the MS-CAN could not be found on the initial connection to the vehicle (old ELM327 connected only to the HS-CAN).  I had to reinstall ForScan.

Yes, I'd lose connection also with my old module and older phone frequently.  This was a bummer when recording data as I'd have to start over.  It was less frequent with my new phone which had a faster processor.  So, I think it's a combination slow module and slow phone.  The minimum delay of my old module ("Minimal response time (ping) – minimal possible time from the moment request to adapter is sent to the moment the response from adapter is received") was generally 50 msec or greater.  The MX is generally under 10 msec. See attachment for how ForScan rates response time.  

I got in the habit of pulling the old Elm out. So, I'm pulling the MX out also.  Supposedly, the MX has a power saver feature so it shouldn't drain the battery. If ForScan is set to autoconnect, it should start scanning when the APP is started up assuming module is plugged in.

Attached File  Capture.JPG   56.04KB   0 downloads

• obob likes this

#25 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 212 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

The LX has no switch either; just seems to read all modules it can find. 

I've been leaving the LX plugged in.  My impression is that either it shuts down, or the car shuts down the 12V to the obdii port at some point.

My Insignia tablet running Windows did revive - apparently if the charge is low enough, it doesn't even light an "i'm charging" LED.  I installed the free Windows version of Forscan.

The Forscan user interface is cumbersome, uses tiny icons for everything and is (for me) is very not intuitive. 

I did try the brake pressure parameter in the ABS module and (I think) it did a good job showing the shift from regen to friction braking. 

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·