Considering buying a 2016 SE

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and was just looking for advice. I've been in the market now for a more fuel efficient car since I'm on average driving about 60ish miles per day now for work. I came across a 2016 C-Max SE at a local dealer who has no brand affiliation. I test drove it and I'm thinking about making the purchase.

The big worry is this: it is a 1 owner car, however the car is sitting at 57,000 miles. From my research on Ford warranties, it looks like there's about 3,000 miles left on the powertrain warranty and 43,000 left on the hybrid components. After a quite a bit of negotiating, I have got the cars price down to $12,300 out the door with all fees, taxes, etc included. I'm still feeling hesitant on the mileage though and I guess I'm just looking to have some experienced owners alleviate my worries or advise on anything I should be aware of. Is this a good price all things considered, would any of you suggest buying an extended warranty or is the track record of the car/brand good enough to not worry (I've only owned Toyota and Scion previously).

I appreciate any advice given. Thanks!

How do you feel about leasing versus purchasing?  With $6,000 in total incentives we found a good 3-year lease deal on a 2018 SE. We've also purchased cars and kept them for 10+ years, but thought with technology changing a lease made sense (at 15,000 miles per year).

Numbers aside, we really love our C-Max. Good luck with your search!

Edited by jmcgliss

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and was just looking for advice. I've been in the market now for a more fuel efficient car since I'm on average driving about 60ish miles per day now for work. I came across a 2016 C-Max SE at a local dealer who has no brand affiliation. I test drove it and I'm thinking about making the purchase.

The big worry is this: it is a 1 owner car, however the car is sitting at 57,000 miles. From my research on Ford warranties, it looks like there's about 3,000 miles left on the powertrain warranty and 43,000 left on the hybrid components. After a quite a bit of negotiating, I have got the cars price down to $12,300 out the door with all fees, taxes, etc included. I'm still feeling hesitant on the mileage though and I guess I'm just looking to have some experienced owners alleviate my worries or advise on anything I should be aware of. Is this a good price all things considered, would any of you suggest buying an extended warranty or is the track record of the car/brand good enough to not worry (I've only owned Toyota and Scion previously).

I appreciate any advice given. Thanks!

The 2016 should be a very good car.  There were transmission problem but they were worked out by 2016.  

I got an extended warranty but have not used it.  But I am glad I got it - ease of mind.  I got mine over the internet and saved money

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2330-purchase-an-extended-warranty/?p=23323

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&ei=Dt8-W8BNgZn9BvTWgNAD&q=fordcmaxhybridforum.com+extended+warranty+koch&oq=fordcmaxhybridforum.com+extended+warranty+koch&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1l2.2333.4724.0.5317.5.5.0.0.0.0.165.646.0j5.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.644....0.tqEP0XZRevk

I would recommend running the tire pressure on the high side to help with tire wear and mileage.  

Edited by obob

• 2 years later...

Assuming the car wasn't abused I think you'll easily get to 100K mi without any major expenses.  Not sure what car you are driving now but you can probably get 40MPG from the C-MAX without really trying.  The SE might have more 12V battery problems than the SEL but hopefully by 2016 those are fixed.  Tires are about $180 a piece (and up) so you might want to see how good the tires are.

The Prius Sedan would be the other hybrid to consider, can typically get about 49MPG without trying too hard.

I used to like the Sonata Hybrid but then our fleet vehicle developed issues with overheating high voltage battery power relays and transmission shifting problems.

Edited by jestevens

'The SE might have more 12V battery problems than the SEL but hopefully by 2016 those are fixed. '.

I don't really understand that statement.  The SEL has way more battery consuming add-ons that can cause battery drain than a simpler SE.  You only have to read here the comments of navigation systems, 'smart keys', etc. to see that.

Am I missing something here?

Yep... some early SE's had a 12v battery drain that would bring the battery below minimum booting voltage, so the car wouldn't "start," door wouldn't unlock, etc. I'm in the " ...by 2016 those are fixed" camp. I had a 2013 SEL with no 12v drain issues, so it had a fix.

Frank

It may seem counterintuitive but that seemed to be what was happening at the time.  My 2013 SEL manufactured in May 2012 never had 12V issues until the battery finally reached its normal end of life.   Regardless if the car has had all of its software updates hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. 

Edited by jestevens